Low Spec Machine for Solaris 10? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Low Spec Machine for Solaris 10? - Solaris ; Hi Folks: My beloved PPro, running Solaris 8, has passed on. Now I need a test machine to run Apache, perhaps also to run as an INN and Firebird server. I have an old 233MHz Pentium with 384Meg and a ...

  1. Low Spec Machine for Solaris 10?

    Hi Folks:

    My beloved PPro, running Solaris 8, has passed
    on. Now I need a test machine to run Apache,
    perhaps also to run as an INN and Firebird server.

    I have an old 233MHz Pentium with 384Meg and a
    40 Gig drive.

    I've just given up on FreeBSD, I'm a programmer
    looking for a tool, not a sys admin looking for a
    hobby.

    Is there any reason to even attempt to get
    Solaris 10 running on this old dog? A text only
    setup is fine with me, I'll telnet or ssh for the
    multiple windows I like to have when developing
    code. I also have the Solaris 8 license and CDs,
    from the PPro, if that would be a better way to
    go.

    Thanks
    Larry

  2. Re: Low Spec Machine for Solaris 10?

    Hi,

    I have just installed Solaris 10 on the following hardware:
    Intel Pentium II 350 MHZ, 458 MB (during solaris10 install only 192 MB),
    56xCDROM, 8Gb harddisk.
    Boot time from boot-prompt to dt-login 2 minutes
    Login time another minute. I am using Java Desktop running Mozilla and
    Staroffice and e-mail and it is working ok.
    First time applications start, it may take a litle while, but overall the
    system is ok responsive.
    It is an ok typewriter :-)
    My installation experience includes:
    1) I installed using Solaris CDROM. Problem with mount of CDROM 2-4 because
    by default the smservice is not started by svcadm .Fix: Root# svcadm -v
    enable smserver
    2) Network configuration. For some reasons Solaris installer was unable to
    see my ISP's DNS servers.
    Fix: Install with networking=None. After added two "nameserver
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" entries to resolv.conf and moved nsswitch.dns to
    nsswitch.conf
    I would give it a try if I were you.

    Sincerely
    /Carsten

    "Larry Lindstrom" skrev i en meddelelse
    > Hi Folks:
    >
    > My beloved PPro, running Solaris 8, has passed
    > on. Now I need a test machine to run Apache,
    > perhaps also to run as an INN and Firebird server.
    >
    > I have an old 233MHz Pentium with 384Meg and a
    > 40 Gig drive.
    >
    > I've just given up on FreeBSD, I'm a programmer
    > looking for a tool, not a sys admin looking for a
    > hobby.
    >
    > Is there any reason to even attempt to get
    > Solaris 10 running on this old dog? A text only
    > setup is fine with me, I'll telnet or ssh for the
    > multiple windows I like to have when developing
    > code. I also have the Solaris 8 license and CDs,
    > from the PPro, if that would be a better way to
    > go.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Larry

  3. Re: Low Spec Machine for Solaris 10?

    I am running it on a PII-400 with ~326k ram.
    Dog-ass slow, but it runs.
    Sol 10 now "free" (so they say)

    Larry Lindstrom wrote:
    > Hi Folks:
    >
    > My beloved PPro, running Solaris 8, has passed
    > on. Now I need a test machine to run Apache,
    > perhaps also to run as an INN and Firebird server.
    >
    > I have an old 233MHz Pentium with 384Meg and a
    > 40 Gig drive.
    >
    > I've just given up on FreeBSD, I'm a programmer
    > looking for a tool, not a sys admin looking for a
    > hobby.
    >
    > Is there any reason to even attempt to get
    > Solaris 10 running on this old dog? A text only
    > setup is fine with me, I'll telnet or ssh for the
    > multiple windows I like to have when developing
    > code. I also have the Solaris 8 license and CDs,
    > from the PPro, if that would be a better way to
    > go.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Larry

  4. Re: Low Spec Machine for Solaris 10?

    Thanks Andrew, Carsten and Bob:

    I confused the memory in this PC with that in my
    laptop. This one has only 256 Meg. I remember
    running older versions of Solaris on 32 Meg systems,
    and how happy Solaris was when I bumped that up to
    256 Meg.

    The system installed Ok, but I'm running into
    other problems, that I'll cover in a new thread.

    Thanks
    Larry

  5. Re: Low Spec Machine for Solaris 10?

    Bob Oblong wrote:

    > Sol 10 now "free" (so they say)

    It really is free now. The "free" license for Solaris 9 was far from
    free at all, as it was very restrictive. But 10 really is free. So I am
    not sure why you add the "(so they say)".

    Someone told me the other day Solaris 10 was free for one CPU. I
    corrected him and said it was free for any number of CPUs, and for
    commercial use. When I told him Redhat + Suse Linux on x86 was not free,
    he really could not understand anyone using Redhat.

    --
    Dave K

    Minefield Consultant and Solitaire Expert (MCSE).

  6. Re: Low Spec Machine for Solaris 10?

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > Bob Oblong wrote:
    >
    >> Sol 10 now "free" (so they say)

    > It really is free now. The "free" license for Solaris 9 was far from
    > free at all, as it was very restrictive. But 10 really is free. So I am
    > not sure why you add the "(so they say)".
    >
    > Someone told me the other day Solaris 10 was free for one CPU. I
    > corrected him and said it was free for any number of CPUs, and for
    > commercial use. When I told him Redhat + Suse Linux on x86 was not free,
    > he really could not understand anyone using Redhat.

    I just realised this was the Solaris x86 forum. The same applies about
    10 being free, but I think 9 was free on Solaris x86 too. Solaris 9 on
    SPARC was not free, any any normal sense of the word.

    --
    Dave K

    Minefield Consultant and Solitaire Expert (MCSE).

  7. Re: Low Spec Machine for Solaris 10?

    "Dave (from the UK)" wrote:
    > I just realised this was the Solaris x86 forum. The same applies about
    > 10 being free, but I think 9 was free on Solaris x86 too. Solaris 9 on
    > SPARC was not free, any any normal sense of the word.

    No, Solaris 9 x86/SPARC had the same license restrictions. Solaris 9 was
    free for one-socket-machines.

    So you had to pay to run Solaris 9 on an SS20 with 1x50 MHz CPU, while
    you could run it without license fee on an Ultra 10 with 1x440 MHz.

    The same restrictions also apply for x86 - although the usual consumer
    boards are one socket only. OTOH many people bought (and still buy) used
    Sun machines on eBay. To run Solaris 9 on their used U2, E250, E3500, SS10,
    S20 they legally had to pay for a license.

    --
    Daniel

  8. Re: Low Spec Machine for Solaris 10?

    Daniel Rock wrote:

    > No, Solaris 9 x86/SPARC had the same license restrictions. Solaris 9 was
    > free for one-socket-machines.
    >
    > So you had to pay to run Solaris 9 on an SS20 with 1x50 MHz CPU, while
    > you could run it without license fee on an Ultra 10 with 1x440 MHz.

    No, you could *not* legally run Solaris 9 on an Ultra 10 with 1 x 440
    MHz *unless* you bought the machine from Sun, or from a Sun authorised
    distributor. You needed to buy a license for single processor machine,
    which was $119.

    It basically meant you could not buy a used machine from eBay and use
    Solaris 9 on it. (There were other ways to use it, like for evaluation
    or education, but it was not a free for all, even on boxes that could
    hold only one CPU). And educational use was restrictive. Despite being
    an academic member of staff at the time, I would have been unable to use
    Solaris 9 at home for research purposes.

    Although this page

    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/...g/policies.xml

    does not say Solaris 9 at the top, it is under the Solaris 9 directory
    (note the 9 in the URL) and you arrive at it from the Solaris 9 pages.

    Now look at the section on used computer systems, in section D.

    ******************************
    D. Used Sun Computer Equipment

    * Remanufactured or Used Sun Computer Systems Sold by Sun: When Sun
    sells a used or remanufactured Sun UltraSPARC system, the price includes
    the right for the end user to install and use the latest version of
    Solaris (or any other version still commercially offered by Sun). End
    users can buy a media kit from their Sun sales rep, authorized reseller
    or Sun's online store (US only).
    * Used Sun Computer Systems Sold by Others: A very limited number
    of companies are authorized to include a valid Solaris license when they
    resell used Sun equipment. Except for these few authorized used
    equipment resellers, no broker, dealer, auction house or other third
    party that sells a used Sun system has any right to distribute Solaris
    software with that system. An end user buying from such non-authorized
    brokers, dealers etc. should be aware that it has no valid license to
    use the Solaris software, and must take action to obtain a legal Solaris
    license. In almost all cases, the Solaris Operating System should be
    stripped from used Sun equipment sold by brokers, dealers, etc. before
    it is transferred to a new end user.

    This program is limited to supplying licenses for use with
    systems in the following categories:
    o Systems supplied to you by Sun or its authorized distributors
    o Systems based on the Intel x86 architecture

    ***************************

    I think you will agree, that a typical Ultra 10 bought from eBay would
    not have been licensed.

    Thankfully, Solaris 10 has no such restrictions.

    --
    Dave K

    Minefield Consultant and Solitaire Expert (MCSE).

  9. Re: Low Spec Machine for Solaris 10?

    "Dave (from the UK)" wrote:
    > Daniel Rock wrote:
    >
    >> No, Solaris 9 x86/SPARC had the same license restrictions. Solaris 9 was
    >> free for one-socket-machines.
    >>
    >> So you had to pay to run Solaris 9 on an SS20 with 1x50 MHz CPU, while
    >> you could run it without license fee on an Ultra 10 with 1x440 MHz.

    > No, you could *not* legally run Solaris 9 on an Ultra 10 with 1 x 440
    > MHz *unless* you bought the machine from Sun, or from a Sun authorised
    > distributor. You needed to buy a license for single processor machine,
    > which was $119.

    Ok, then I buy an Axil 320 SS20 clone or a PrimePower 100. But the license
    restrictions for Solaris 9 have changed after the Solaris 10 release - see
    below.

    > Although this page
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/...g/policies.xml
    >
    > does not say Solaris 9 at the top, it is under the Solaris 9 directory
    > (note the 9 in the URL) and you arrive at it from the Solaris 9 pages.

    The licensing pages are a mess. December 2003 I found on the web page
    regarding Solaris 9:

    Binary License Program. End users can receive a license to use the
    Solaris 9 Operating System via Sun's Free Solaris[sm] Binary License
    Program . An end user
    must register with Sun
    to receive a free license to use the Solaris 9 software on SPARC- or
    x86-based computers with a capacity of 1 CPU. Certain restrictions apply.

    For systems with a capacity of 2 or more CPUs, users can purchase
    licenses from a Sun sales rep, Sun authorized reseller
    or Sun online store
    (US only),
    and should then download the software from Sun or buy a media kit from
    their Sun sales rep, Sun authorized reseller or the Sun online store (US
    only).

    With the release of Solaris 10 many of the old license pages are gone or
    have been modified.

    --
    Daniel

  10. Re: Low Spec Machine for Solaris 10?

    On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    > and said it was free for any number of CPUs, and for commercial use. When I
    > told him Redhat + Suse Linux on x86 was not free, he really could not
    > understand anyone using Redhat.

    It's a perception thing. The perception is that Linux (in all guises) is
    free and that Solaris is $$$$. It's a perception we (as in the Solaris
    community) have to battle to change.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  11. Re: Low Spec Machine for Solaris 10?

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >
    >> and said it was free for any number of CPUs, and for commercial use. When I
    >> told him Redhat + Suse Linux on x86 was not free, he really could not
    >> understand anyone using Redhat.

    > It's a perception thing. The perception is that Linux (in all guises) is
    > free and that Solaris is $$$$. It's a perception we (as in the Solaris
    > community) have to battle to change.

    It is HUGELY important that Sun get across the fact that buying and running
    Sun hardware and software can be significantly cheaper that buying from,
    say, Dell/Redhat. I know this because I'm on the various Sun marketing
    email lists but unless this information is wide spread beyond the obvious
    existing users there will be no increased sales.

    For example, I know one organisation that just bought fifty racks of Dell
    servers to create a high performance compute engine. These 1200 servers
    will be running Linux. Now they are installed there are power and cooling
    problems and the sysadmins have discovered there is no console network (the
    Dell h/w does have ALOM equivalent but it hasn't been cabled up!) The people
    in the organisation that were aware of the new Sun hardware that was in the
    pipe line were not consulted and so were unable to suggest alternatives (or
    to point out that a console network was essential.)

    So, Sun, please stop renaming stuff and start pushing tin!

    --
    Geoff Lane, Airstrip One

    As easy as 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716...

  12. Re: Low Spec Machine for Solaris 10?

    Geoff Lane wrote:
    > Rich Teer wrote:
    >> On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >>
    >>> and said it was free for any number of CPUs, and for commercial use. When I
    >>> told him Redhat + Suse Linux on x86 was not free, he really could not
    >>> understand anyone using Redhat.

    >> It's a perception thing. The perception is that Linux (in all guises) is
    >> free and that Solaris is $$$$. It's a perception we (as in the Solaris
    >> community) have to battle to change.

    > It is HUGELY important that Sun get across the fact that buying and running
    > Sun hardware and software can be significantly cheaper that buying from,
    > say, Dell/Redhat. I know this because I'm on the various Sun marketing
    > email lists but unless this information is wide spread beyond the obvious
    > existing users there will be no increased sales.
    >
    > For example, I know one organisation that just bought fifty racks of Dell
    > servers to create a high performance compute engine. These 1200 servers
    > will be running Linux. Now they are installed there are power and cooling
    > problems and the sysadmins have discovered there is no console network (the

    It sounds like the problems is clowns setup a system, not which vendor was
    picked.

    > Dell h/w does have ALOM equivalent but it hasn't been cabled up!) The people
    > in the organisation that were aware of the new Sun hardware that was in the
    > pipe line were not consulted and so were unable to suggest alternatives (or
    > to point out that a console network was essential.)
    >
    > So, Sun, please stop renaming stuff and start pushing tin!

+ Reply to Thread