Using SMC to mirror 2 IDE drives - Solaris

This is a discussion on Using SMC to mirror 2 IDE drives - Solaris ; Loaded OS (Sol_10 x64 1/06) and wanted to mirror 2 identical IDE drives. However, SMC complains there is no Solaris partition on the drive. It also warns that creating one will destroy the existing data on the drive. I don't ...

  1. Using SMC to mirror 2 IDE drives

    Loaded OS (Sol_10 x64 1/06) and wanted to mirror 2 identical IDE drives.
    However, SMC complains there is no Solaris partition on the drive.
    It also warns that creating one will destroy the existing data on the drive.

    I don't recall during the installation process being given the choice of
    a Solaris partition. Before going through the trouble of reloading, can
    someone tell me if I am able to select this type of partition or ...
    just can't get there.

    Thanks in advance.
    Bob

  2. Re: Using SMC to mirror 2 IDE drives

    Bob Oblong wrote:
    > Loaded OS (Sol_10 x64 1/06) and wanted to mirror 2 identical IDE drives.
    > However, SMC complains there is no Solaris partition on the drive.
    > It also warns that creating one will destroy the existing data on the
    > drive.
    >
    > I don't recall during the installation process being given the choice of
    > a Solaris partition. Before going through the trouble of reloading, can
    > someone tell me if I am able to select this type of partition or ...
    > just can't get there.

    Did you install with one or two drives? I'd guess it is complaining
    about the second drive, can't have Solaris on a drive without a Solaris
    partition.

    Try format(1M) and select the second drive, IIRC it will ask you to
    create an fdisk partition if one isn't there.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: Using SMC to mirror 2 IDE drives

    In article ,
    Bob Oblong wrote:
    >Loaded OS (Sol_10 x64 1/06) and wanted to mirror 2 identical IDE drives.
    >However, SMC complains there is no Solaris partition on the drive.

    The command line tools work well enough for me.
    I use a combination of Dennis Clarke's old Disksuite Step by Step
    instructions and Sun's SVM Answerbook.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

+ Reply to Thread