KDE on Solaris 10 ? how ? - Solaris

This is a discussion on KDE on Solaris 10 ? how ? - Solaris ; Dear brothers & sisters, has anyone ever gotten the latest built of KDE desktop environment to install and run flawlessly on the latest built of Solaris 10 ? Thank you for your time John...

  1. KDE on Solaris 10 ? how ?

    Dear brothers & sisters,

    has anyone ever gotten the latest built of KDE desktop environment to
    install and run flawlessly on the latest built of Solaris 10 ?

    Thank you for your time

    John

  2. Re: KDE on Solaris 10 ? how ?

    John Doe wrote:
    > Dear brothers & sisters,
    >
    > has anyone ever gotten the latest built of KDE desktop environment to
    > install and run flawlessly on the latest built of Solaris 10 ?
    >
    > Thank you for your time

    Assuming you downloaded it from Blastwave, I've read the package is broken.

    A suggested fix is to remove kdebase_gcc and download it from the stable release.

  3. Re: KDE on Solaris 10 ? how ?

    "Jean-Louis Liagre" wrote in message
    > John Doe wrote:
    > > Dear brothers & sisters,
    > >
    > > has anyone ever gotten the latest built of KDE desktop environment to
    > > install and run flawlessly on the latest built of Solaris 10 ?
    > >
    > > Thank you for your time

    > Assuming you downloaded it from Blastwave, I've read the package is

    broken.

    > A suggested fix is to remove kdebase_gcc and download it from the stable

    release.

    remove CSWqt (not CSWqtgcc) from your system.

  4. Re: KDE on Solaris 10 ? how ?

    "Jean-Louis Liagre" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > John Doe wrote:
    >> Dear brothers & sisters,
    >>
    >> has anyone ever gotten the latest built of KDE desktop environment to
    >> install and run flawlessly on the latest built of Solaris 10 ?
    >>
    >> Thank you for your time

    > Assuming you downloaded it from Blastwave, I've read the package is
    > broken.

    The latest KDE version is 3.5.1. Blastwave's KDE packages are a mixture of
    3.3.1, 3.4.1, 3.4.2, and 3.4.3.
    While I cannot speak for the original poster, I personally feel some
    reluctance to install this mixture as I doubt that this can be reliable.
    BTW also Blastwave's GNOME packages are out of sync and a wild mixture as
    long as I can remember.
    Thus, for the desktop Blastwave doesn't help me much.

    At the official KDE site there is a SunStudio 10 based package collection
    for KDE-3.4.3.

  5. Re: KDE on Solaris 10 ? how ?

    Dear Brothers & Sisters,

    So the Blastware KDE is broken ...

    Where can I get KDE for solaris 10 now ?

    Does anyone have a step by step installation instruction ?

    Regards

    John

    "Andreas Wacknitz" wrote in message

    > "Jean-Louis Liagre" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> John Doe wrote:
    >>> Dear brothers & sisters,
    >>>
    >>> has anyone ever gotten the latest built of KDE desktop environment to
    >>> install and run flawlessly on the latest built of Solaris 10 ?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for your time

    >> Assuming you downloaded it from Blastwave, I've read the package is
    >> broken.

    > The latest KDE version is 3.5.1. Blastwave's KDE packages are a mixture of
    > 3.3.1, 3.4.1, 3.4.2, and 3.4.3.
    > While I cannot speak for the original poster, I personally feel some
    > reluctance to install this mixture as I doubt that this can be reliable.
    > BTW also Blastwave's GNOME packages are out of sync and a wild mixture as
    > long as I can remember.
    > Thus, for the desktop Blastwave doesn't help me much.
    >
    > At the official KDE site there is a SunStudio 10 based package collection
    > for KDE-3.4.3.

  6. Re: KDE on Solaris 10 ? how ?

    John Doe wrote:
    > Dear Brothers & Sisters,
    >
    > So the Blastware KDE is broken ...
    >
    > Where can I get KDE for solaris 10 now ?

    If it is broken for your system (it's working fine on this laptop, but
    not my desktop), you have two options:

    The version on the companion CD, which is a little old but reliable

    The version by Stefan hosted on www.sunfreeware.com

    --
    Ian Collins.

  7. Re: KDE on Solaris 10 ? how ?

    John Doe wrote:
    > Dear Brothers & Sisters,
    >
    > So the Blastware KDE is broken ...

    Actually, it's the package in the unstable directory which is reported to be
    broken, the one in the stable directory shouldn't be.

  8. Re: KDE on Solaris 10 ? how ?

    Ahem!!

    Both Blastwave.org KDE unstable and stable now work very well now.

    The easiest way to download KDE is "pkg-get -i kde_gcc" which will give
    you what you need. I also have a few
    KDE 3.5.1 packages in www.blastwave.org/testing.

    Also, you can use the official KDE 3.4.3 release from Sunfreeware.

    Stefan Teleman is the 'primary' official contact for KDE on Solaris.

    ~ Ken Mays

+ Reply to Thread