Boot slice on non-boot disks - Solaris

This is a discussion on Boot slice on non-boot disks - Solaris ; Hi all, I have an X4200 with disks in it, two of which I plane to use for data only. WHen I use format to set up the slices I see that slice 8 is dedicated to boot, and it ...

  1. Boot slice on non-boot disks

    Hi all,

    I have an X4200 with disks in it, two of which I plane to use
    for data only. WHen I use format to set up the slices I see
    that slice 8 is dedicated to boot, and it appeasr to be one
    cylinder in size. Given that I never intend to be able to boot
    from this disk, is it OK for me to remove that slice? The format
    command makes it kinda trick to do so, as it won't let me select
    slice 8 or start slice 0 from cylinder 0.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  2. Re: Boot slice on non-boot disks

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have an X4200 with disks in it, two of which I plane to use
    > for data only. WHen I use format to set up the slices I see
    > that slice 8 is dedicated to boot, and it appeasr to be one
    > cylinder in size. Given that I never intend to be able to boot
    > from this disk, is it OK for me to remove that slice? The format
    > command makes it kinda trick to do so, as it won't let me select
    > slice 8 or start slice 0 from cylinder 0.

    Maybe that's for a good reason! I've always left it there, the size is
    just noise...

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: Boot slice on non-boot disks

    Rich Teer wrote:

    > I have an X4200 with disks in it, two of which I plane to use
    > for data only. WHen I use format to set up the slices I see
    > that slice 8 is dedicated to boot, and it appeasr to be one
    > cylinder in size. Given that I never intend to be able to boot
    > from this disk, is it OK for me to remove that slice? The format
    > command makes it kinda trick to do so, as it won't let me select
    > slice 8 or start slice 0 from cylinder 0.

    Must be an EFI formatted disk...?
    If so I wouldnt wack slice 8

  4. Re: Boot slice on non-boot disks

    Rich Teer writes:

    >I have an X4200 with disks in it, two of which I plane to use
    >for data only. WHen I use format to set up the slices I see
    >that slice 8 is dedicated to boot, and it appeasr to be one
    >cylinder in size. Given that I never intend to be able to boot
    >from this disk, is it OK for me to remove that slice? The format
    >command makes it kinda trick to do so, as it won't let me select
    >slice 8 or start slice 0 from cylinder 0.

    You can try making it use EFI labels.

    Casper

    be fiction rather than truth.

  5. Re: Boot slice on non-boot disks

    In comp.unix.solaris gerryt@ wrote:
    > Rich Teer wrote:

    >> I have an X4200 with disks in it, two of which I plane to use
    >> for data only. WHen I use format to set up the slices I see
    >> that slice 8 is dedicated to boot, and it appeasr to be one
    >> cylinder in size. Given that I never intend to be able to boot
    >> from this disk, is it OK for me to remove that slice? The format
    >> command makes it kinda trick to do so, as it won't let me select
    >> slice 8 or start slice 0 from cylinder 0.

    > Must be an EFI formatted disk...?
    > If so I wouldnt wack slice 8

    No, it's just x86. 'format' will display but not modify slice 8. You
    can remove the slice easily enough with fmthard.

    Or as also suggested, move to an EFI label.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com