WiFi on laptop running Solaris x86. - Solaris

This is a discussion on WiFi on laptop running Solaris x86. - Solaris ; Is there any support in the general release of Solaris 10 update 1 for WiFi devices on Solaris x86? Looking at this http://opensolaris.org/os/community/laptop/wireless/ it appears it is only just beginning to appear in OpenSolaris, so I guess I will be ...

  1. WiFi on laptop running Solaris x86.

    Is there any support in the general release of Solaris 10 update 1 for
    WiFi devices on Solaris x86?

    Looking at this

    http://opensolaris.org/os/community/laptop/wireless/

    it appears it is only just beginning to appear in OpenSolaris, so I
    guess I will be out of luck.

    Are there any *general* (not just WiFi) recommendations for which
    laptops makes are going to be less hassle, or more quickly supported for
    Solaris? Since I am thinking of buying a laptop, and don't have one yet,
    I can choose a laptop to fit around Solaris, rather than be forever
    fighting Solaris to fit around my laptop. For example, are HP laptops
    generally better supported than those from Sony, or it is not possible
    to make such general observations?

    --
    Dave K

  2. Re: WiFi on laptop running Solaris x86.

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    > Is there any support in the general release of Solaris 10 update 1 for
    > WiFi devices on Solaris x86?
    >
    > Looking at this
    >
    > http://opensolaris.org/os/community/laptop/wireless/
    >
    > it appears it is only just beginning to appear in OpenSolaris, so I
    > guess I will be out of luck.
    >
    > Are there any *general* (not just WiFi) recommendations for which
    > laptops makes are going to be less hassle, or more quickly supported for
    > Solaris? Since I am thinking of buying a laptop, and don't have one yet,
    > I can choose a laptop to fit around Solaris, rather than be forever
    > fighting Solaris to fit around my laptop. For example, are HP laptops
    > generally better supported than those from Sony, or it is not possible
    > to make such general observations?

    Well, I have the WiFi in my Dell Inspiron 9300[1] working fine under S10
    U1, using the OpenSolaris drivers for the Intel Pro 2200BG, iwi
    etcetera. WEP but no WPA as yet.

    The video is fine out of the box. I have _no_ idea which drivers are
    being used, but the video card is an "ATI Mobility Radeon X300".

    Haven't yet looked at the Sound card, but it's AC97, so it should work.

    The HCL says that there are drivers available for the NIC from Broadcom,
    but I haven't bothered as the WiFi works.

    After sound, the next on my list is the battery and CPU throttling stuff.

    I've plugged in a few USB devices, and they've worked.

    Haven't tried to burn a CD or DVD under S10 yet.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    [1] Oz/AsiaPac model, may not translate directly to other parts of the
    world. Just been replaced with a 9400.

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  3. Re: WiFi on laptop running Solaris x86.

    Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    > Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any support in the general release of Solaris 10 update 1 for
    >> WiFi devices on Solaris x86?
    >>

    > Well, I have the WiFi in my Dell Inspiron 9300[1] working fine under S10
    > U1, using the OpenSolaris drivers for the Intel Pro 2200BG, iwi
    > etcetera. WEP but no WPA as yet.

    That is good to know, not just because of the Dell, but the fact you
    have managed to take an OpenSolaris driver and add it to Solaris 10
    update 1.

    In general, can one take OpenSolaris drivers and add them to a Solaris
    10 update 1 system? You rather surprise there - pleasantly surprised it
    must be said.

    > The video is fine out of the box. I have _no_ idea which drivers are
    > being used, but the video card is an "ATI Mobility Radeon X300".
    >
    > Haven't yet looked at the Sound card, but it's AC97, so it should work.
    >
    > The HCL says that there are drivers available for the NIC from Broadcom,
    > but I haven't bothered as the WiFi works.
    >
    > After sound, the next on my list is the battery and CPU throttling stuff.

    Yes, the CPU throttling stuff would be pretty important to me too. Sound
    I really don't care about. WiFi is pretty slow compared to 100baseT, so
    I'd rather get a LAN working than at home.

    I'm thinking of using this from some wireless hotspots, so thought
    Solaris would be more secure than Windows. Whilst I don't intend keeping
    any really personal information on it, I'd rather limit the chances of
    someone getting data off the machine, so want to avoid Windows whenever
    humanly possible.

    --
    Dave K

  4. Re: WiFi on laptop running Solaris x86.

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:11:37 +0000, "Dave (from the UK)"
    wrote:

    >Is there any support in the general release of Solaris 10 update 1 for
    >WiFi devices on Solaris x86?
    >
    >Looking at this
    >
    >http://opensolaris.org/os/community/laptop/wireless/
    >
    >it appears it is only just beginning to appear in OpenSolaris, so I
    >guess I will be out of luck.
    >
    >Are there any *general* (not just WiFi) recommendations for which
    >laptops makes are going to be less hassle, or more quickly supported for
    >Solaris? Since I am thinking of buying a laptop, and don't have one yet,
    >I can choose a laptop to fit around Solaris, rather than be forever
    >fighting Solaris to fit around my laptop. For example, are HP laptops
    >generally better supported than those from Sony, or it is not possible
    >to make such general observations?

    http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/x86-laptops.html#list

    http://tuxmobil.org/mobile_solaris.html

    For starters.

    HTH,
    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  5. Re: WiFi on laptop running Solaris x86.

    In article <43f1f0dd@212.67.96.135>,
    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >In general, can one take OpenSolaris drivers and add them to a Solaris
    >10 update 1 system? You rather surprise there - pleasantly surprised it
    >must be said.

    No, but the SUNWatheros, SUNWipw, and SUNWiwi packages were built
    under S10.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  6. Re: WiFi on laptop running Solaris x86.

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    > Are there any *general* (not just WiFi) recommendations for which laptops
    > makes are going to be less hassle, or more quickly supported for Solaris?

    I recommend the Acer Ferrari. It's quite well supported by SOlaris (many
    kernel engineers have one), and its powered by AMD (read: it's 64-bit).

    I was in the same situation as you: no laptop, with running Solaris a
    very high priority (in my case, running in 64-bit mode was also a high
    priority). Given my needs, the Ferrari (for me) was a no-brainer. And
    it looks cool too! (Better than the dull grey Dulls...)

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  7. Re: WiFi on laptop running Solaris x86.

    In article ,
    Rich Teer wrote:
    >I was in the same situation as you: no laptop, with running Solaris a
    >very high priority (in my case, running in 64-bit mode was also a high
    >priority). Given my needs, the Ferrari (for me) was a no-brainer. And
    >it looks cool too! (Better than the dull grey Dulls...)

    If graphics performance is a higher priority than 64-bit, Dell's
    Precision M70 mobile workstation would be worth a look as it
    includes the nVidia graphics which I believe will work with
    nVidia's Solaris drivers.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  8. Re: WiFi on laptop running Solaris x86.

    Rich Teer wrote:
    [SNIP]
    > priority). Given my needs, the Ferrari (for me) was a no-brainer. And
    > it looks cool too! (Better than the dull grey Dulls...)

    Hey! My Dell's not grey, it's "Arctic White"!! With shiny silver bits
    too!!!

    Wow, I've just remembered, my second car was a Datsun (Nissan) 1600
    (P-510), and it was "Arctic White" too!!

    I looked at the Ferrari, but here in Oz it was/is about twice the cost
    of the Dell I ended up getting, once you equalled all the specs _except_
    the CPU.

    But I think I'll have to get a 64-bit box soon, I keep running into
    stuff that just doesn't run on the Duron.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  9. Re: WiFi on laptop running Solaris x86.

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >

    >>Are there any *general* (not just WiFi) recommendations for which laptops
    >>makes are going to be less hassle, or more quickly supported for Solaris?

    > I recommend the Acer Ferrari. It's quite well supported by SOlaris (many
    > kernel engineers have one), and its powered by AMD (read: it's 64-bit).

    That is good to know - I was just about to do a Google to find out if
    Solaris 10 runs on the Turion, but you have answered that for me.

    I was actually looking at the HP Pavilion dv5049EA, which is based on
    the AMD 64-bit ML-37 Turion processor. The odd thing is though, the HP
    spec sheet

    http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/pdf/c00586198.pdf

    says the processor runs up to 1600 MHz, but the ML-37 is a 2 GHz chip. I
    can't see why HP would only run it at 80% of the speed.

    > I was in the same situation as you: no laptop, with running Solaris a
    > very high priority (in my case, running in 64-bit mode was also a high
    > priority).

    Yes, same here. I was thinking of running Mathematica on it, but that
    only runs on the 64-bit version of Solaris x86, not the 32-bit one.
    However, it does work on 32-bit Winblows, if the worst comes to the worst.

    dave
    --

    Minefield Consultant and Solitaire Expert (MCSE).

  10. Re: WiFi on laptop running Solaris x86.

    Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    > Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any support in the general release of Solaris 10 update 1 for
    >> WiFi devices on Solaris x86?
    >>
    >> Looking at this
    >>
    >> http://opensolaris.org/os/community/laptop/wireless/
    >>
    >> it appears it is only just beginning to appear in OpenSolaris, so I
    >> guess I will be out of luck.
    >>
    >> Are there any *general* (not just WiFi) recommendations for which
    >> laptops makes are going to be less hassle, or more quickly supported
    >> for Solaris? Since I am thinking of buying a laptop, and don't have
    >> one yet, I can choose a laptop to fit around Solaris, rather than be
    >> forever fighting Solaris to fit around my laptop. For example, are HP
    >> laptops generally better supported than those from Sony, or it is not
    >> possible to make such general observations?
    >>

    > Well, I have the WiFi in my Dell Inspiron 9300[1] working fine under S10
    > U1, using the OpenSolaris drivers for the Intel Pro 2200BG, iwi
    > etcetera. WEP but no WPA as yet.
    >
    > The video is fine out of the box. I have _no_ idea which drivers are
    > being used, but the video card is an "ATI Mobility Radeon X300".
    >
    > Haven't yet looked at the Sound card, but it's AC97, so it should work.
    >
    > The HCL says that there are drivers available for the NIC from Broadcom,
    > but I haven't bothered as the WiFi works.
    >
    > After sound, the next on my list is the battery and CPU throttling stuff.
    >
    > I've plugged in a few USB devices, and they've worked.
    >
    > Haven't tried to burn a CD or DVD under S10 yet.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Gary B-)
    >
    > [1] Oz/AsiaPac model, may not translate directly to other parts of the
    > world. Just been replaced with a 9400.

    If you haven't run the Installation Check Tool yet, you will find that
    -The audio is not supported by Sol10 yet, and THEY didn't say a third
    party driver is available. I haven't started looking yet.
    -The Broadcom is supported by a third party driver-bcf at
    http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/index.htm
    -The modem is also not supported.

    I've downloaded bcf to the windows side of this 9300, but haven't yet
    installed it on the the Solaris side. I transfered the files with
    a USB-flash drive (128MB SanDisk-with the security junk removed).

    It looks like the USB drives should be able to replace the floppys on
    laptops, and possibly on desktops too. I'm downloading other things
    for the system I'm building, and also for when I get my Sol7 and Sol9
    systems running again.

    Gary

+ Reply to Thread