Jumpstarting x86 with a specific network driver... - Solaris

This is a discussion on Jumpstarting x86 with a specific network driver... - Solaris ; I have gotten my Linux server to act as a jumpstart server for both the SPARC and x86 Solaris verions, which is quite nice. However, I have one x86 box that does not have a network driver in the base ...

  1. Jumpstarting x86 with a specific network driver...

    I have gotten my Linux server to act as a jumpstart server for both the
    SPARC and x86 Solaris verions, which is quite nice.

    However, I have one x86 box that does not have a network driver in the
    base x86 set.

    If I install off the DVD, I just do a pkgadd for the network driver
    (It's a YUKON gigabit) and everything works like a champ.

    When I boot off the jumpstart server I get the following error:

    Custom Jumpstart
    No driver (or driver binding) was found for the interface used to boot.
    A driver (or driver binding) may be available in an update or patch
    from Sun, or from the interface vendor.

    Is there a way that I can patch the DVD image copied to the
    distribution point so I can finish the jumpstart?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Jumpstarting x86 with a specific network driver...

    In article <1139894801.263898.253290@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups. com>,
    te@ivorypetal.com wrote:

    > I have gotten my Linux server to act as a jumpstart server for both the
    > SPARC and x86 Solaris verions, which is quite nice.
    >
    > However, I have one x86 box that does not have a network driver in the
    > base x86 set.
    >
    > If I install off the DVD, I just do a pkgadd for the network driver
    > (It's a YUKON gigabit) and everything works like a champ.
    >
    > When I boot off the jumpstart server I get the following error:
    >
    > Custom Jumpstart
    > No driver (or driver binding) was found for the interface used to boot.
    > A driver (or driver binding) may be available in an update or patch
    > from Sun, or from the interface vendor.
    >
    > Is there a way that I can patch the DVD image copied to the
    > distribution point so I can finish the jumpstart?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I don't know if Jumpstart is any different from when I set it up, but
    unless you can boot from the Jumpstart image, you're more or less stuck
    here. I don't know of a way to "patch" the jumpstart image with the
    driver you need to boot the machine. But you could install via DVD,
    then do a flarcreate to image the base system with this type of HW, then
    you'd be able to reinstall it later (supposedly you'd be able to boot
    with the base system that's loaded over the network). Or does the flar
    system also require a working network with a base Solaris install in
    order to work as well?

  3. Re: Jumpstarting x86 with a specific network driver...

    te@ivorypetal.com writes:

    >I have gotten my Linux server to act as a jumpstart server for both the
    >SPARC and x86 Solaris verions, which is quite nice.

    >However, I have one x86 box that does not have a network driver in the
    >base x86 set.

    Solaris 10 or Solaris 10 update 1?

    >Custom Jumpstart
    >No driver (or driver binding) was found for the interface used to boot.
    >A driver (or driver binding) may be available in an update or patch
    >from Sun, or from the interface vendor.

    If this is S10 update 1 you will need to build a miniroot with the
    appropriate device installed. This requires unpacking the miniroot
    on a Solaris x86 system (it's a gzip'ed file), mounting it with lofi
    adding the device and then recompressing it.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  4. Re: Jumpstarting x86 with a specific network driver...

    Casper,
    Yes, it's is the 01/06 release of Solaris 10 x86.

    Ok, I have the miniroot mounted and have added the extra lines into the
    devalias file, which is what I have read that needed to be done. I'm
    about ready to umount/recompress/ and copy the image back over.

    I do have one question though, is the /etc/devalias the only file that
    needs to be added? I would think I would need to add a specific driver
    or such..... Wait, I just found a couple files in the /kernel/drv
    directory (yukonx.conf and yukonx) and , so I now have copied those
    into the miniroot too.

    Are there any other files that I should add to the miniroot?

    BTW: Casper, I have watched you be an active participant in these and
    other forums for many years. Your knowledge transfer has always been
    greatly appreciated.

    Keep up the great work and long live Sun!

  5. Re: Jumpstarting x86 with a specific network driver...

    te@ivorypetal.com writes:

    >Yes, it's is the 01/06 release of Solaris 10 x86.

    >Ok, I have the miniroot mounted and have added the extra lines into the
    >devalias file, which is what I have read that needed to be done. I'm
    >about ready to umount/recompress/ and copy the image back over.

    You need to:

    - copy the 32 bit driver to:
    $miniroot/kernel/drv/yourge
    $miniroot/kernel/drv/yourge

    - then run:

    add_drv -b $miniroot -i '"pciXXXX,YYYY" "pciXXXX,ZZZZ"' yourge

    this will add the driver aliases, assign a major number, etc.

    Or, if it's in pkgadd format, it's probably easier to:

    pkgadd -R $miniroot YOURge

    >I do have one question though, is the /etc/devalias the only file that
    >needs to be added? I would think I would need to add a specific driver
    >or such..... Wait, I just found a couple files in the /kernel/drv
    >directory (yukonx.conf and yukonx) and , so I now have copied those
    >into the miniroot too.

    No; see above.

    >Are there any other files that I should add to the miniroot?

    >BTW: Casper, I have watched you be an active participant in these and
    >other forums for many years. Your knowledge transfer has always been
    >greatly appreciated.

    >Keep up the great work and long live Sun!

    Thanks.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

+ Reply to Thread