2 Solaris 10 NFS questions... - Solaris

This is a discussion on 2 Solaris 10 NFS questions... - Solaris ; I understand that mountd is no longer used for NFS4 in Solaris 10, so the showmount command will not show NFS 4 clients that have remotely mounted filesystems, so... How can I, in Solaris 10, NFS 4, show remotely mounted ...

  1. 2 Solaris 10 NFS questions...

    I understand that mountd is no longer used for NFS4 in Solaris 10, so
    the showmount command will not show NFS 4 clients that have remotely
    mounted filesystems, so...

    How can I, in Solaris 10, NFS 4, show remotely mounted filesystems? If
    I mount an NFS4 share to an NFS4 client, there is no entry in
    /etc/rmtab... How can I find this information? I hope I'm making the
    questions clear... On the server, I need to be able to see what
    clients have what shared filesystems mounted.

    Second:

    why does this share command not allow root rw access on an NFS client
    that has it mounted? (in this example, system1 is the client where the
    filesystem is mounted...)

    share -F nfs -o rw,root=system1 /export/home

    I thought the root=system1 allowed the client root to have superuser
    privledges on the named host?

    if I use anon=0, root can write to the share. What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks for the help.

  2. Re: 2 Solaris 10 NFS questions...

    CamelR wrote:
    > I understand that mountd is no longer used for NFS4 in Solaris 10, so
    > the showmount command will not show NFS 4 clients that have remotely
    > mounted filesystems, so...
    >
    > How can I, in Solaris 10, NFS 4, show remotely mounted filesystems? If
    > I mount an NFS4 share to an NFS4 client, there is no entry in
    > /etc/rmtab... How can I find this information? I hope I'm making the
    > questions clear... On the server, I need to be able to see what
    > clients have what shared filesystems mounted.

    What about:
    $ showmount -a

    > Second:
    >
    > why does this share command not allow root rw access on an NFS client
    > that has it mounted? (in this example, system1 is the client where the
    > filesystem is mounted...)
    >
    > share -F nfs -o rw,root=system1 /export/home
    >
    > I thought the root=system1 allowed the client root to have superuser
    > privledges on the named host?
    >
    > if I use anon=0, root can write to the share. What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Thanks for the help.

    probably because system1 is not a FQHN. Add the domainname to the system
    name and you are probably fine. Additionally, you might want to look at
    nfsmapid(1M) and the settings in /etc/default/nfs.

    HTH,
    Tom

  3. Re: 2 Solaris 10 NFS questions...

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:47:13 +0100, Thomas Maier-Komor
    wrote:

    >CamelR wrote:
    >> I understand that mountd is no longer used for NFS4 in Solaris 10, so
    >> the showmount command will not show NFS 4 clients that have remotely
    >> mounted filesystems, so...
    >>
    >> How can I, in Solaris 10, NFS 4, show remotely mounted filesystems? If
    >> I mount an NFS4 share to an NFS4 client, there is no entry in
    >> /etc/rmtab... How can I find this information? I hope I'm making the
    >> questions clear... On the server, I need to be able to see what
    >> clients have what shared filesystems mounted.
    >>

    >What about:
    >$ showmount -a

    No, it doesn't work. Since NFS 4 doesn't use mountd, there are no
    entries in /etc/rmtab, so as far as I can tell, any variation of
    showmount won't work because there are no entries in rmtab for it to
    report... but I could be wrong.

    >> Second:
    >>
    >> why does this share command not allow root rw access on an NFS client
    >> that has it mounted? (in this example, system1 is the client where the
    >> filesystem is mounted...)
    >>
    >> share -F nfs -o rw,root=system1 /export/home
    >>
    >> I thought the root=system1 allowed the client root to have superuser
    >> privledges on the named host?
    >>
    >> if I use anon=0, root can write to the share. What am I doing wrong?
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help.
    >>

    >probably because system1 is not a FQHN. Add the domainname to the system
    >name and you are probably fine. Additionally, you might want to look at
    >nfsmapid(1M) and the settings in /etc/default/nfs.

    The system is fully qualifed and uses DNS to resolve, which is fully
    qualified. I added the FQHN to the share command as you suggested and
    no luck. I have seen other references to that, but it didn't seem to
    be the case here. If I add anon=0, it works, but not with the
    root=system1 option...

    I also checked /etc/default/nfs and found no setting that would affect
    the root access, unless I missed something.

    I do appreciate the advice, but none of those suggestions seemed to
    help.

    Thanks.

    >HTH,
    >Tom

  4. Re: 2 Solaris 10 NFS questions...

    CamelR wrote:
    >>> Second:
    >>>
    >>> why does this share command not allow root rw access on an NFS client
    >>> that has it mounted? (in this example, system1 is the client where the
    >>> filesystem is mounted...)

    The thing that you might have missed is NFSMAPID_DOMAIN, which must be
    set to your domainname. But I guess, I don't tell you anything new,
    concerning this...

    > I do appreciate the advice, but none of those suggestions seemed to
    > help.

    Sorry.
    Cheers,
    Tom

  5. Re: 2 Solaris 10 NFS questions...

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:59:25 +0100, Thomas Maier-Komor
    wrote:

    >The thing that you might have missed is NFSMAPID_DOMAIN, which must be
    >set to your domainname. But I guess, I don't tell you anything new,
    >concerning this...

    I did miss that... Thanks. I changed it, but still luck... It's
    probably some little detail that I'm missing. I'll keep poking
    around.

    >> I do appreciate the advice, but none of those suggestions seemed to
    >> help.
    >>

    >Sorry.
    >Cheers,
    >Tom

    Thanks again.

  6. Re: 2 Solaris 10 NFS questions...

    I wrote:

    > you might have to kill "nfsmapip"

    make that "nfsmapid"

  7. Re: 2 Solaris 10 NFS questions...

    CamelR wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:59:25 +0100, Thomas Maier-Komor
    > wrote:

    >> The thing that you might have missed is NFSMAPID_DOMAIN, which must be
    >> set to your domainname. But I guess, I don't tell you anything new,
    >> concerning this...

    > I did miss that... Thanks. I changed it, but still luck... It's
    > probably some little detail that I'm missing. I'll keep poking
    > around.

    you might have to kill "nfsmapip" and re-share after changing
    the DOMAIN (just guessing here)

  8. Re: 2 Solaris 10 NFS questions...

    CamelR wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:59:25 +0100, Thomas Maier-Komor
    > wrote:
    >> The thing that you might have missed is NFSMAPID_DOMAIN, which must be
    >> set to your domainname. But I guess, I don't tell you anything new,
    >> concerning this...

    > I did miss that... Thanks. I changed it, but still luck... It's
    > probably some little detail that I'm missing. I'll keep poking
    > around.

    If the problem persist, just post your config. It is much easier to help
    this way...

+ Reply to Thread