DNS resolver - Solaris

This is a discussion on DNS resolver - Solaris ; The DNS resolver is not working on my Solaris. I can ping 64.233.183.104 (the current IP address of Google), but I can't ping www.google.com . Which file shall I edit or create? Here is what I tried so far: I've ...

  1. DNS resolver

    The DNS resolver is not working on my Solaris.
    I can ping 64.233.183.104 (the current IP address of Google), but I can't
    ping www.google.com.
    Which file shall I edit or create?
    Here is what I tried so far: I've created a file /etc/resolv.conf, which
    didn't exist, and added the IPs of some nameservers, but that didn't solve
    the problem...
    Thanks.

  2. Re: DNS resolver

    On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:34:25 +0100, Tawno wrote:

    > The DNS resolver is not working on my Solaris.
    > I can ping 64.233.183.104 (the current IP address of Google), but I can't
    > ping www.google.com.
    > Which file shall I edit or create?
    > Here is what I tried so far: I've created a file /etc/resolv.conf, which
    > didn't exist, and added the IPs of some nameservers, but that didn't solve
    > the problem...
    > Thanks.

    cp /etc/nsswitch.dns /etc/nsswitch.conf

  3. Re: DNS resolver

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:34:25 +0100, Tawno wrote:
    >

    >> The DNS resolver is not working on my Solaris.
    >> I can ping 64.233.183.104 (the current IP address of Google), but I can't
    >> ping www.google.com.
    >> Which file shall I edit or create?
    >> Here is what I tried so far: I've created a file /etc/resolv.conf, which
    >> didn't exist, and added the IPs of some nameservers, but that didn't
    >> solve the problem...
    >> Thanks.

    > cp /etc/nsswitch.dns /etc/nsswitch.conf

    Thanks. Problem solved.