swapping disks, booting Solaris from the slave - Solaris

This is a discussion on swapping disks, booting Solaris from the slave - Solaris ; Hi NG, I've installed Solaris10 on the third partition of my first hard disk. = Grub's (hd0,2) = /dev/hda3 in Linux parlance Now I want to put that disk as the slave of the primary IDE. Two questions: - Will ...

  1. swapping disks, booting Solaris from the slave

    Hi NG,
    I've installed Solaris10 on the third partition of my first hard disk.

    = Grub's (hd0,2)
    = /dev/hda3 in Linux parlance

    Now I want to put that disk as the slave of the primary IDE.

    Two questions:
    - Will Solaris be able to boot from a second disk? that is from (hd1,2,a).
    - Is it sufficient to change some lines in /boot/grub/menu.lst and
    in /etc/vfstab ?

    I've done that on Linux already.

    [What happened actually is that I really installed on the second disk, but
    Solaris insisted that I make this disk the first disk in the BIOS of my
    motherboard. I want to change it back now.]
    Thank you.

  2. Re: swapping disks, booting Solaris from the slave

    Tawno wrote:

    > Hi NG,
    > I've installed Solaris10 on the third partition of my first hard disk.
    >
    > = Grub's (hd0,2)
    > = /dev/hda3 in Linux parlance
    >
    > Now I want to put that disk as the slave of the primary IDE.
    >
    > Two questions:
    > - Will Solaris be able to boot from a second disk? that is from (hd1,2,a).
    > - Is it sufficient to change some lines in /boot/grub/menu.lst and
    > in /etc/vfstab ?
    >
    > I've done that on Linux already.
    >
    > [What happened actually is that I really installed on the second disk, but
    > Solaris insisted that I make this disk the first disk in the BIOS of my
    > motherboard. I want to change it back now.]
    > Thank you.

    An update on this.
    The Grub that is installed by Solaris is a modified version of Grub.

    To recap, there are essentially three versions of Grub:
    - the original (stopped at version 0.97 I think)
    - Grub 2, in active development; there is no documentation at present
    - the Solaris modified version

    The original version can't read ufs filesystems and is thus unusable.

    I tried to install the Solaris version on my first hard disk, but it fails.
    My method is, from the grub shell:
    root (hd0,2,a)
    setup (hd1)
    Which gave me:
    Mismatched or corrupt version of stage1/stage2

    No luck so far, I still have to change the order of the disks in the BIOS
    everytime I want to boot another OS.

+ Reply to Thread