fdisk, partitions, and mirroring in Solaris 10 x86 - Solaris

This is a discussion on fdisk, partitions, and mirroring in Solaris 10 x86 - Solaris ; I have been playing around with trying to mirror the root disk to a second disk, using SVM, on x86. I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with. I've run solaris 10 on Sparc, but ...

  1. fdisk, partitions, and mirroring in Solaris 10 x86

    I have been playing around with trying to mirror the root disk to a
    second disk, using SVM, on x86. I have a few questions that I hope
    someone can help me with. I've run solaris 10 on Sparc, but I'm new
    to x86.

    On sparc, I've always had identical drives, so I've just done the old

    prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c0t0d1s2

    and I'm ready to mirror the disk.

    So now I'm faced with a different scenario. The fdisk obstacle (as
    I'm not too terribly familiar with it...) and having 2 disks of
    different sizes...

    Can anyone offer me a bit of advice on how best to go about this?

    How can I mirror the drives if they are of a different cylinder count?
    I assume I need to make a partition (using fdisk) that is identical to
    the partition I need to mirror...? Is there a way to copy the
    information fdisk needs from one partition to the second so that they
    are identical? I've been experimenting with something like this:

    fdisk -g /dev/rdsk/c0d0s2 | fdisk -w /dev/rdsk/c0d1s2

    but it's not right...

    I tried creating the partition with fdisk under format, but the
    cylinder count seems to always be just barely off no matter how I
    approach it...

    Can anyone offer some advice?

    I would very much appreciate the help...

    Thanks

  2. Re: fdisk, partitions, and mirroring in Solaris 10 x86

    CamelR wrote:
    > I have been playing around with trying to mirror the root disk to a
    > second disk, using SVM, on x86. I have a few questions that I hope
    > someone can help me with. I've run solaris 10 on Sparc, but I'm new
    > to x86.
    >
    > On sparc, I've always had identical drives, so I've just done the old
    >
    > prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c0t0d1s2
    >
    > and I'm ready to mirror the disk.
    >
    > So now I'm faced with a different scenario. The fdisk obstacle (as
    > I'm not too terribly familiar with it...) and having 2 disks of
    > different sizes...
    >
    > Can anyone offer me a bit of advice on how best to go about this?

    On x86 SVM works with slices, which are contained within an fdisk partition.

    So assuming you are only using Solaris on the system, fdisk the entire
    drive as a Solaris partition then use format to create slices that match
    those on the drive to be mirrored.

    The slice size is the thing that matters for mirroring.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: fdisk, partitions, and mirroring in Solaris 10 x86

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > On x86 SVM works with slices,

    As it does on Sparc as well...

    --
    Ian Collins.

  4. Re: fdisk, partitions, and mirroring in Solaris 10 x86

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 00:11:46 -0600, CamelR wrote:

    > fdisk -g /dev/rdsk/c0d0s2 | fdisk -w /dev/rdsk/c0d1s2

    I don't trust Sun's fdisk.

    You could try using dd to copy the very first sector from
    /dev/rdsk/c0d0s2 to /dev/rdsk/c0d1s2

    A bientot
    Paul
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)
    Surgery: ennobled Gerald.

  5. Re: fdisk, partitions, and mirroring in Solaris 10 x86

    It's not necesaary to have the cylinders count the same, just the size
    of the slices. In fact, slices on the second disk can be larger than
    the corresponding slices on the first disk, but not smaller. Just use
    format and specify the slice size in mb (or gb) and make sure the size
    of the slice is equal to or larger than the root disk slice.

    Ron

    CamelR wrote:
    > I have been playing around with trying to mirror the root disk to a
    > second disk, using SVM, on x86. I have a few questions that I hope
    > someone can help me with. I've run solaris 10 on Sparc, but I'm new
    > to x86.
    >
    > On sparc, I've always had identical drives, so I've just done the old
    >
    > prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c0t0d1s2
    >
    > and I'm ready to mirror the disk.
    >
    > So now I'm faced with a different scenario. The fdisk obstacle (as
    > I'm not too terribly familiar with it...) and having 2 disks of
    > different sizes...
    >
    > Can anyone offer me a bit of advice on how best to go about this?
    >
    > How can I mirror the drives if they are of a different cylinder count?
    > I assume I need to make a partition (using fdisk) that is identical to
    > the partition I need to mirror...? Is there a way to copy the
    > information fdisk needs from one partition to the second so that they
    > are identical? I've been experimenting with something like this:
    >
    > fdisk -g /dev/rdsk/c0d0s2 | fdisk -w /dev/rdsk/c0d1s2
    >
    > but it's not right...
    >
    > I tried creating the partition with fdisk under format, but the
    > cylinder count seems to always be just barely off no matter how I
    > approach it...
    >
    > Can anyone offer some advice?
    >
    > I would very much appreciate the help...
    >
    > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread