network problems - Solaris

This is a discussion on network problems - Solaris ; I am _trying_ to setup Solaris 8 x86 but am having major problems getting the network to function. I have tried with two cards so far and get to the same stage... I tried with a 3com card which was ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: network problems

  1. network problems

    I am _trying_ to setup Solaris 8 x86 but am having major problems
    getting the network to function.

    I have tried with two cards so far and get to the same stage...
    I tried with a 3com card which was recognised by Solaris and then with a
    realtek 8139 which I had to install drivers for.

    Anyway basically starting with the 3com card, let solaris install, chose
    an ip for it 10.0.0.9, mask 255.0.0.0.

    I cannot ping any ip's on the same subnet. If I pull the network cable
    out of the NIC, I get a message in solaris saying the link is down, so I
    assume that is something good but I am stumped as to why I cannot ping
    other machines.

    If someone has any ideas please help me!!
    If more information is needed then I am happy to send it, wasn't sure
    what was needed.

  2. Re: network problems

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:21:56 +1300, Nova wrote:

    > I cannot ping any ip's on the same subnet. If I pull the network cable
    > out of the NIC, I get a message in solaris saying the link is down, so I
    > assume that is something good but I am stumped as to why I cannot ping
    > other machines.
    >
    > If someone has any ideas please help me!!
    > If more information is needed then I am happy to send it, wasn't sure
    > what was needed.


    You start by posting the outputs of `ifconfig -a` and `netstat -rn` on the
    Solaris machine AND the outputs of `ipconfig /all` and `netstat -rn` on
    that Windows box.


  3. Re: network problems

    Nova wrote:
    > I am _trying_ to setup Solaris 8 x86 but am having major problems
    > getting the network to function.
    >
    > I have tried with two cards so far and get to the same stage...
    > I tried with a 3com card which was recognised by Solaris and then with a
    > realtek 8139 which I had to install drivers for.
    >

    Why not use 10? The diver support is much better than with 8.

    > Anyway basically starting with the 3com card, let solaris install, chose
    > an ip for it 10.0.0.9, mask 255.0.0.0.
    >

    How did you do this, during the install or after?

    > I cannot ping any ip's on the same subnet. If I pull the network cable
    > out of the NIC, I get a message in solaris saying the link is down, so I
    > assume that is something good but I am stumped as to why I cannot ping
    > other machines.
    >

    ifconfig -a will tell you the status of the link, look for 'up' in the
    output.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  4. Re: network problems

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:21:56 +1300, Nova wrote:
    >
    >> I cannot ping any ip's on the same subnet. If I pull the network cable
    >> out of the NIC, I get a message in solaris saying the link is down, so I
    >> assume that is something good but I am stumped as to why I cannot ping
    >> other machines.
    >>
    >> If someone has any ideas please help me!!
    >> If more information is needed then I am happy to send it, wasn't sure
    >> what was needed.

    >
    > You start by posting the outputs of `ifconfig -a` and `netstat -rn` on the
    > Solaris machine AND the outputs of `ipconfig /all` and `netstat -rn` on
    > that Windows box.
    >


    Fair enough, I wasn't too keen on copying it as obviously it is not just
    a simple cut and paste but typing it all out manually

    If I try and ping the gateway 10.0.0.1 I get nothing.. I can of course
    ping this from many other machines in the network, some of which are
    setup by dhcp and some by static configuration.

    anyone with ideas, i am all ears!
    I have set the bios to non plug and play.. but have tried it on also.



    From the solaris box.

    ifconfig -a

    lo0: flags 1000849 MTU 8232 index 1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000

    rtls0: flags=1000843 MTU 1500
    index 2
    inet 10.0.0.9 netmask ff00000 broadcast 10.255.255.255
    ether 0:40:95:34:80:58



    netstat -rn

    10.0.0.0 10.0.0.9 U 1 29 rtls0
    224.0.0.0 10.0.0.9 U 1 0 rtls0
    default 10.0.0.1 UG 1 0
    127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 2 6 lo0

    from one of the windows machines on the network


    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ASUSTeK/Broadcom 440x
    10/100 Integra
    ted Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-18-BB-A2-8B
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.5
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.3.2
    10.0.0.1
    210.55.12.1
    210.55.12.2

    Route Table
    ================================================== =========================
    Interface List
    0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
    0x2 ...00 e0 18 bb a2 8b ...... ASUSTeK/Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated
    Controll
    er - Packet Scheduler Miniport
    ================================================== =========================
    ================================================== =========================
    Active Routes:
    Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.5
    20
    10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 10.0.0.5 10.0.0.5
    20
    10.0.0.5 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1
    20
    10.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 10.0.0.5 10.0.0.5
    20
    127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
    224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 10.0.0.5 10.0.0.5
    20
    255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 10.0.0.5 10.0.0.5 1
    Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1
    ================================================== =========================

  5. Re: network problems

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >> I am _trying_ to setup Solaris 8 x86 but am having major problems
    >> getting the network to function.
    >>
    >> I have tried with two cards so far and get to the same stage...
    >> I tried with a 3com card which was recognised by Solaris and then with
    >> a realtek 8139 which I had to install drivers for.
    >>

    > Why not use 10? The diver support is much better than with 8.
    >
    >> Anyway basically starting with the 3com card, let solaris install,
    >> chose an ip for it 10.0.0.9, mask 255.0.0.0.
    >>

    > How did you do this, during the install or after?


    With the 3com card I configured it during the install, as I had no luck
    with that I decided to try a realtek card. I had to install solaris
    without network support, then run the driver installation from realtek,
    i then did a sys-unconfig which then picked up the realtek card/driver
    and asked me all the network cards, everything seemed fine except that I
    couldn't ping anything...


    >
    >> I cannot ping any ip's on the same subnet. If I pull the network
    >> cable out of the NIC, I get a message in solaris saying the link is
    >> down, so I assume that is something good but I am stumped as to why I
    >> cannot ping other machines.
    >>

    > ifconfig -a will tell you the status of the link, look for 'up' in the
    > output.
    >


    yep, it says up... just can't ping anything..



  6. Re: network problems

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >> I am _trying_ to setup Solaris 8 x86 but am having major problems
    >> getting the network to function.
    >>
    >> I have tried with two cards so far and get to the same stage...
    >> I tried with a 3com card which was recognised by Solaris and then with
    >> a realtek 8139 which I had to install drivers for.
    >>

    > Why not use 10? The diver support is much better than with 8.


    Forgot to answer this in my previous post, unfortunately I need solaris
    8 as have to provide some binaries that are compiled on solaris 8...
    I didn't realise it would be this troublesome before I said i would..heh.

    >
    >> Anyway basically starting with the 3com card, let solaris install,
    >> chose an ip for it 10.0.0.9, mask 255.0.0.0.
    >>

    > How did you do this, during the install or after?
    >
    >> I cannot ping any ip's on the same subnet. If I pull the network
    >> cable out of the NIC, I get a message in solaris saying the link is
    >> down, so I assume that is something good but I am stumped as to why I
    >> cannot ping other machines.
    >>

    > ifconfig -a will tell you the status of the link, look for 'up' in the
    > output.
    >


  7. Re: network problems

    Nova wrote:
    > [...]
    >
    > anyone with ideas, i am all ears!
    > I have set the bios to non plug and play.. but have tried it on also.


    I had a similar problem a year ago or so, it was something
    around interrupts not well handled by the driver IIRC.

    I think I fixed it by downloading the alternate rf driver from murayama,
    but I'm not fully sure, as I upgrade too to a Solaris Express which had
    a working rtls bundled, around the same period.

    Anyway, you can try:

    http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/index.htm

  8. Re: network problems

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 15:27:43 +1300, Nova wrote:

    > If I try and ping the gateway 10.0.0.1 I get nothing.. I can of course
    > ping this from many other machines in the network, some of which are
    > setup by dhcp and some by static configuration.


    You indicate that you "chose" the IP address of 10.0.0.9 for the Solaris
    host, yet your Windows box has received an IP address of 10.0.0.5 from a
    DHCP server. Perhaps there is another host on the network with the IP
    address of 10.0.0.9?

    All else in your network configuration appears to be in order.


  9. Re: network problems

    Nova wrote:
    >>>

    >> ifconfig -a will tell you the status of the link, look for 'up' in the
    >> output.
    >>

    >
    > yep, it says up... just can't ping anything..
    >
    >


    Can you snoop the network from the system? That'll at tell you if the
    driver is seeing packets.

    --
    Ian Collins.

+ Reply to Thread