GUI problem - Solaris

This is a discussion on GUI problem - Solaris ; hi, i m new to Solaris , install it a few days ago (Soalris 10) after configuring kdmconfig i was able to boot into GUI with 1024X768 with 24-bit colors but some of the problem are there, 1. When i ...

  1. GUI problem

    hi,
    i m new to Solaris , install it a few days ago (Soalris 10) after
    configuring kdmconfig i was able to boot into GUI with 1024X768 with
    24-bit colors but some of the problem are there,
    1. When i choose Logout from either CDE or JDS screen goes blank (can't
    say does it hang)
    2. I m unable to change the screen resolution (Xrandr problem)
    another problem is that when i boot it shows a sendmail message that
    "Unable to recognize my own Domain "Abhishek" (System name), too short
    ...." or something like this , i don't have any idea what does it mean
    and how to solve it. Waiting for reply , thanx in advance.

    Than you

  2. Re: GUI problem

    On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 04:21:57 -0800, Vasu wrote:

    > hi,
    > i m new to Solaris , install it a few days ago (Soalris 10) after
    > configuring kdmconfig i was able to boot into GUI with 1024X768 with
    > 24-bit colors but some of the problem are there,
    > 1. When i choose Logout from either CDE or JDS screen goes blank (can't
    > say does it hang)

    Goto http://www.opensolaris.org or http://www.bigadmin.com (or both) and
    search for xorg. The re run kdmconfig and select xorg.

    > 2. I m unable to change the screen resolution (Xrandr problem)

    Again, switch to xorg

    > another problem is that when i boot it shows a sendmail message that
    > "Unable to recognize my own Domain "Abhishek" (System name), too short
    > ..." or something like this , i don't have any idea what does it mean
    > and how to solve it. Waiting for reply , thanx in advance.

    Normal fix is to put a "." as a FQDN in the /etc/hosts file,
    10.1.1.1 myhost myhost.

    *and* the /etc/inet/ipnodes

    or , if you don't want to run sendmail,
    svcadm disable sendmail

    HTH
    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

  3. Re: GUI problem

    "Vasu" writes in alt.solaris.x86:
    |2. I m unable to change the screen resolution (Xrandr problem)

    Xrandr only works with the Xorg server - use kdmconfig to switch from
    Xsun to Xorg if you want Xrandr to work.

    --
    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/