Install w/ GRUB problem - Solaris

This is a discussion on Install w/ GRUB problem - Solaris ; I downloaded latest Solaris version yesterday - burned DVD files as one iso to DVD. All I get after booting from DVD is "grub>". I tried typing "kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -B install_media=cdrom" but got an error 13. After that still ...

  1. Install w/ GRUB problem

    I downloaded latest Solaris version yesterday - burned DVD files as one iso
    to DVD. All I get after booting from DVD is "grub>". I tried typing "kernel
    /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -B install_media=cdrom" but got an error 13.
    After that still tried "module /boot/x86.miniroot"but got the messge that
    multiboot needed to be loaded first. I'm stuck now. Can someone tell me
    what to do - what to type in the grub command line to get the installation
    going? Thanks!

  2. Re: Install w/ GRUB problem

    Gert-Jan wrote:
    > I downloaded latest Solaris version yesterday - burned DVD files as one iso
    > to DVD. All I get after booting from DVD is "grub>". I tried typing "kernel
    > /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -B install_media=cdrom" but got an error 13.
    > After that still tried "module /boot/x86.miniroot"but got the messge that
    > multiboot needed to be loaded first. I'm stuck now. Can someone tell me
    > what to do - what to type in the grub command line to get the installation
    > going? Thanks!

    It would appear your download is either damaged or incomplete; looks
    like you'll have to leech down the whole DVD image again. Tough luck.

    And did you `cat` together the unzipped images before burning them to DVD?

    Did you even download the DVD version of the images? There are two
    versions, one for 4 CDs, one for a DVD. Both are split into chunks, but
    where you would burn an image to a separate CD-R/RW, you must merge
    together the DVD chunks before burning them to a DVD-R/RW.

  3. Re: Install w/ GRUB problem

    UX-admin wrote in

    > Gert-Jan wrote:
    >> I downloaded latest Solaris version yesterday - burned DVD files as
    >> one iso to DVD. All I get after booting from DVD is "grub>". I tried
    >> typing "kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -B install_media=cdrom"
    >> but got an error 13. After that still tried "module
    >> /boot/x86.miniroot"but got the messge that multiboot needed to be
    >> loaded first. I'm stuck now. Can someone tell me what to do - what to
    >> type in the grub command line to get the installation going? Thanks!

    > It would appear your download is either damaged or incomplete; looks
    > like you'll have to leech down the whole DVD image again. Tough luck.
    >
    > And did you `cat` together the unzipped images before burning them to
    > DVD?
    >
    > Did you even download the DVD version of the images? There are two
    > versions, one for 4 CDs, one for a DVD. Both are split into chunks,
    > but where you would burn an image to a separate CD-R/RW, you must
    > merge together the DVD chunks before burning them to a DVD-R/RW.

    Thanks for your quick response!

    I downloaded the five DVD files - unzipped them using WinRAR which took
    care of combining the files again. With Alcohol120% the ISO file appears
    OK. I used NERO to burn to DVD. Any special options I need to use to make
    sure that the install works via GRUB. For instance a marker somewhere that
    it needs to be a bootable DVD? I'd hate to download the files again and
    findout afterwards it was just something I missed during e.g. DVD burning.

  4. Re: Install w/ GRUB problem

    Gert-Jan wrote:

    > I downloaded the five DVD files - unzipped them using WinRAR which took
    > care of combining the files again. With Alcohol120% the ISO file appears
    > OK. I used NERO to burn to DVD. Any special options I need to use to make
    > sure that the install works via GRUB. For instance a marker somewhere that
    > it needs to be a bootable DVD? I'd hate to download the files again and
    > findout afterwards it was just something I missed during e.g. DVD burning.

    No. No extra steps are needed.

    However, it's stuff like WinRAR "assembly" and Nero that make me
    suspicious. Why and how would WinRAR know these .zip files are part of a
    bigger archive? They're not, they're separate archives, which you must
    merge manually later.

    I recommend you use good ol' fashioned UNIX tools to do the job, namely:

    1. unzip
    2. cat
    3. cdrtools

    Nero is crap for burning ISO images. And I don't trust WinRAR in the
    slightest.

  5. Re: Install w/ GRUB problem

    On 29/1/06 5:06, in article 43dcf5d6$0$1163$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch,
    "UX-admin" wrote:

    > Gert-Jan wrote:
    >
    >> I downloaded the five DVD files - unzipped them using WinRAR which took
    >> care of combining the files again. With Alcohol120% the ISO file appears
    >> OK. I used NERO to burn to DVD. Any special options I need to use to make
    >> sure that the install works via GRUB. For instance a marker somewhere that
    >> it needs to be a bootable DVD? I'd hate to download the files again and
    >> findout afterwards it was just something I missed during e.g. DVD burning.

    > No. No extra steps are needed.
    >
    > However, it's stuff like WinRAR "assembly" and Nero that make me
    > suspicious. Why and how would WinRAR know these .zip files are part of a
    > bigger archive? They're not, they're separate archives, which you must
    > merge manually later.
    >
    > I recommend you use good ol' fashioned UNIX tools to do the job, namely:
    >
    > 1. unzip
    > 2. cat
    > 3. cdrtools
    >
    > Nero is crap for burning ISO images. And I don't trust WinRAR in the
    > slightest.

    ISTR Sun actually give instructions for joining the files on Windows ("COPY
    /B" or something) and they also give MD5 hashes of all the individual bits
    as well as the combined image, so you should be able to determine which
    phase is going wrong.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  6. Re: Install w/ GRUB problem

    Chris Ridd wrote:

    > ISTR Sun actually give instructions for joining the files on Windows ("COPY
    > /B" or something) and they also give MD5 hashes of all the individual bits
    > as well as the combined image, so you should be able to determine which
    > phase is going wrong.

    That's correct.

  7. Re: Install w/ GRUB problem

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:06:17 +0100, UX-admin
    wrote:

    >Gert-Jan wrote:
    >
    >> I downloaded the five DVD files - unzipped them using WinRAR which took
    >> care of combining the files again. With Alcohol120% the ISO file appears
    >> OK. I used NERO to burn to DVD. Any special options I need to use to make
    >> sure that the install works via GRUB. For instance a marker somewhere that
    >> it needs to be a bootable DVD? I'd hate to download the files again and
    >> findout afterwards it was just something I missed during e.g. DVD burning.

    >No. No extra steps are needed.
    >
    >However, it's stuff like WinRAR "assembly" and Nero that make me
    >suspicious. Why and how would WinRAR know these .zip files are part of a
    >bigger archive? They're not, they're separate archives, which you must
    >merge manually later.
    >
    >I recommend you use good ol' fashioned UNIX tools to do the job, namely:
    >
    >1. unzip
    >2. cat
    >3. cdrtools
    >
    >Nero is crap for burning ISO images. And I don't trust WinRAR in the
    >slightest.

    No beef w/using UNIX tools, but I've never had a problem with NERO
    burning CD and DVD isos. Care to elaborate? Might save me some
    grief in the future.

    And the copy /b ... approach seems to work fine in XP and 2000.
    Be sure to compare the checksums.

    I use the file and burn tools that are available on whatever I have
    booted at the time. For someone trying to install unixen for the
    first time, micro**** may be the only option. (feeble attempt to
    justify even mentioning the evil empire...)

    Thanks,
    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  8. Re: Install w/ GRUB problem

    Bill Waddington wrote:

    > No beef w/using UNIX tools, but I've never had a problem with NERO
    > burning CD and DVD isos. Care to elaborate? Might save me some
    > grief in the future.

    First, it's hard to find the image burning option; admittedly, that's a
    straw man, because it is possible to do it.

    But second, I've never been successful in burning an ISO image correctly
    with NERO. Ever. Any other Windows app, sure. NERO - no way.

  9. Re: Install w/ GRUB problem

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:38:32 +0100, UX-admin
    wrote:

    >Bill Waddington wrote:
    >
    >> No beef w/using UNIX tools, but I've never had a problem with NERO
    >> burning CD and DVD isos. Care to elaborate? Might save me some
    >> grief in the future.

    >First, it's hard to find the image burning option; admittedly, that's a
    >straw man, because it is possible to do it.

    I should have mentioned that myself. I suspect a lot of newbies try
    to burn the iso as a file rather than an image. For posterity, in
    Nero Burning ROM: "Recorder->burn image" in Nero Express:
    "Disc Image or Saved Project".

    >But second, I've never been successful in burning an ISO image correctly
    >with NERO. Ever. Any other Windows app, sure. NERO - no way.

    Wow. I've burned hundreds of Linux and Solaris isos and multisession
    archives with NERO and had maybe a handful of coasters. All detected
    at burn time. Ruined a few music CDs but that's another deal.

    Must lead a charmed life...

    (and again, no defense of windows, just a little encouragement for
    those trying to escape it)

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  10. Re: Install w/ GRUB problem

    Bill Waddington wrote:

    > Wow. I've burned hundreds of Linux and Solaris isos and multisession
    > archives with NERO and had maybe a handful of coasters. All detected
    > at burn time. Ruined a few music CDs but that's another deal.
    >
    > Must lead a charmed life...

    I guess!
    All I made with Nero were coasters! Nero is OK for burning individual
    files ---> data disks. But imagery... I don't know.

    > (and again, no defense of windows, just a little encouragement for
    > those trying to escape it)

    Sure. There are some decent CD/DVD mastering apps on Windows. There was
    one I used to use, but I can't remember the name of it now. What I do
    remember is that it had a dragon flying in the mid-air breathing fire on
    a CD.

    And of course, Joerg's cdrtools have been ported to Windows long time ago.

  11. Re: Install w/ GRUB problem

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:39:07 +0100, UX-admin
    wrote:

    >Bill Waddington wrote:

    >> Wow. I've burned hundreds of Linux and Solaris isos and multisession
    >> archives with NERO and had maybe a handful of coasters. All detected
    >> at burn time. Ruined a few music CDs but that's another deal.
    >>
    >> Must lead a charmed life...

    >I guess!
    >All I made with Nero were coasters! Nero is OK for burning individual
    >files ---> data disks. But imagery... I don't know.

    No! Really! (fun w/!!!) The _only_ problem I've had burning images
    in NERO was last week. It refused to burn a 7.5G iso to DVD-R DL. It
    _would_ burn it to +R DL. If I came in through Nero Express it burned
    the -R DL OK.

    >> (and again, no defense of windows, just a little encouragement for
    >> those trying to escape it)

    >Sure. There are some decent CD/DVD mastering apps on Windows. There was
    >one I used to use, but I can't remember the name of it now. What I do
    >remember is that it had a dragon flying in the mid-air breathing fire on
    >a CD.
    >
    >And of course, Joerg's cdrtools have been ported to Windows long time ago.

    D'oh! Just when I thought I knew everything! Do they run natively,
    or under cygwin, or both, or ??

    Now if we could just get the author of the marvelous Xscreensavers
    to port to windows. It would certainly improve an otherwise dreary
    experience. I know, it will be a cold day in hell...

    Better just pack it all up and move to *NIX.

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  12. Re: Install w/ GRUB problem

    Gert-Jan wrote:
    > I downloaded latest Solaris version yesterday - burned DVD files as one iso
    > to DVD. All I get after booting from DVD is "grub>". I tried typing "kernel
    > /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -B install_media=cdrom" but got an error 13.
    > After that still tried "module /boot/x86.miniroot"but got the messge that
    > multiboot needed to be loaded first. I'm stuck now. Can someone tell me
    > what to do - what to type in the grub command line to get the installation
    > going? Thanks!

    I was not able to get the DVD to work. I suspect the problem is somewhere in the
    concatenating the 5 download segments into a single ISO image.

    So I gave up and downloaded and burned the 4 CDs. Works fine.
    Just be careful to burn them as disk images and not data files.

  13. Re: Install w/ GRUB problem

    On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 20:44:45 GMT, Richard Friedman
    wrote:

    >Gert-Jan wrote:
    >> I downloaded latest Solaris version yesterday - burned DVD files as one iso
    >> to DVD. All I get after booting from DVD is "grub>". I tried typing "kernel
    >> /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -B install_media=cdrom" but got an error 13.
    >> After that still tried "module /boot/x86.miniroot"but got the messge that
    >> multiboot needed to be loaded first. I'm stuck now. Can someone tell me
    >> what to do - what to type in the grub command line to get the installation
    >> going? Thanks!

    >I was not able to get the DVD to work. I suspect the problem is somewhere in the
    >concatenating the 5 download segments into a single ISO image.
    >
    >So I gave up and downloaded and burned the 4 CDs. Works fine.
    >Just be careful to burn them as disk images and not data files.

    I downloaded the dvd files and combined them using the copy command on
    the Sun Solaris web site. I experienced exactly the same probably as
    you. Just booted to a grub> prompt. No installation menu, wouldnt
    load the kernel .

    Gave up and downloaded the cd isos. They worked fine 8)

  14. Re: Install w/ GRUB problem

    GreyCloud wrote in

    > Bramble wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 20:44:45 GMT, Richard Friedman
    >> wrote:

    >> as you. Just booted to a grub> prompt. No installation menu,
    >> wouldnt load the kernel .
    >>
    >> Gave up and downloaded the cd isos. They worked fine 8)

    CD ISO's worked fine for me also. But now Solaris messed up my Windows
    XP . I have two HD's and wanted to keep the 1st for XP and use the 2nd
    for Solaris. Normally when I used RedHat I was asked upfront where to
    install, but now when following the install I only got one option. I
    assumed this was the right one and continued..... Took me 4 hrs to get
    XP back up. Now I'm tryin gto find out what I did wrong but the docs at
    Sun didn't gave me a clear answer yet.

+ Reply to Thread