Mounting USB disk on Solaris 10 x86 01/05 - Solaris

This is a discussion on Mounting USB disk on Solaris 10 x86 01/05 - Solaris ; Mounting a 100 GB Seagate USB disk w/ a FAT32 filesystem is taking 3-4 minutes on either of the systems I have Solaris 10 installed on. When the mount command is issued the drive starts blinking madly as if it ...

  1. Mounting USB disk on Solaris 10 x86 01/05

    Mounting a 100 GB Seagate USB disk w/ a FAT32 filesystem is taking 3-4
    minutes on either of the systems I have Solaris 10 installed on. When
    the mount command is issued the drive starts blinking madly as if it
    were reading through the entire drive. Mounts on XP or Linux are quick.
    In all cases the drive works fine once the mount completes.

    I'm using:

    mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c4t0d0p1 /usb

    Once it mounts df(1m) indicates -1 files but otherwise works fine.

    Drive was formatted on Solaris because XP would only format as NTFS.

    Obviously not a show stopper, but it would be nice to not have to wait
    so long. I assume there's an argument to mount(1m) that I need to
    supply but have found in the man pages.

    rhb

  2. Re: Mounting USB disk on Solaris 10 x86 01/05

    Reginald Beardsley wrote:

    > Mounting a 100 GB Seagate USB disk w/ a FAT32 filesystem is taking 3-4
    > minutes on either of the systems I have Solaris 10 installed on. When
    > the mount command is issued the drive starts blinking madly as if it
    > were reading through the entire drive. Mounts on XP or Linux are quick.
    > In all cases the drive works fine once the mount completes.
    >
    > I'm using:
    >
    > mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c4t0d0p1 /usb

    Which version of Solaris? With later builds, you just plug the drive in
    and it's there. I was using a 40GB USB dive to transfer data from my
    laptop to a friends and there was no noticeable difference between
    Solaris an XP performance.

    There was an issue with the entire FAT being read on mount, but this was
    fixed.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: Mounting USB disk on Solaris 10 x86 01/05

    Ian Collins wrote:

    > Which version of Solaris? With later builds, you just plug the drive in
    > and it's there. I was using a 40GB USB dive to transfer data from my
    > laptop to a friends and there was no noticeable difference between
    > Solaris an XP performance.
    >
    > There was an issue with the entire FAT being read on mount, but this was
    > fixed.

    I wish it were truly so. I have an 80GB Maxtor hooked up to a USB 2.0
    PCI hub, running Solaris 10 1/06 with all the latest patches, and it's
    still flaky.

    In fact, I got fed up with this flaky vold and USB crap, so I opened up
    a support case with Sun.

+ Reply to Thread