146 GB disk configures to 33 GB under Solaris 10 (3/05) - Solaris

This is a discussion on 146 GB disk configures to 33 GB under Solaris 10 (3/05) - Solaris ; Installing on Dell PE 1850 with a single 146 GB SCSI disk. Installation goes along fine untill disk layout at which time I have available about 33 GB of a 146 GB disk to configure. If I continue the install ...

  1. 146 GB disk configures to 33 GB under Solaris 10 (3/05)

    Installing on Dell PE 1850 with a single 146 GB SCSI disk.
    Installation goes along fine untill disk layout at which time I have
    available about 33 GB of a 146 GB disk to configure. If I continue the
    install using the available space the installation works but I never
    get access to the lost space under solaris.

    Bios reports the 146 GB.

    I verified the drive is 146 GB by checking the serial number w/Seagate.

    I've checked the partition table and it confirms 33 GB size.

    System has LSI 1020/1030 integrated controller which appears to be
    supported under Sol10. I've even downloaded/installed the drivers from
    LSI site and still no joy.

    I've been configuring Solaris x86 since 2.4 but have never encountered
    anything like this.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: 146 GB disk configures to 33 GB under Solaris 10 (3/05)

    cabcadd@excite.com wrote:
    > Installing on Dell PE 1850 with a single 146 GB SCSI disk.
    > Installation goes along fine untill disk layout at which time I have
    > available about 33 GB of a 146 GB disk to configure. If I continue the
    > install using the available space the installation works but I never
    > get access to the lost space under solaris.
    >
    > Bios reports the 146 GB.
    >
    > I verified the drive is 146 GB by checking the serial number w/Seagate.
    >
    > I've checked the partition table and it confirms 33 GB size.
    >
    > System has LSI 1020/1030 integrated controller which appears to be
    > supported under Sol10. I've even downloaded/installed the drivers from
    > LSI site and still no joy.
    >
    > I've been configuring Solaris x86 since 2.4 but have never encountered
    > anything like this.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Yeah! Run `format` and define your own disk type, then punch the
    geometry numbers from Seagate's site in. That might work.

  3. Re: 146 GB disk configures to 33 GB under Solaris 10 (3/05)

    In article <1138233969.305153.199260@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >Installing on Dell PE 1850 with a single 146 GB SCSI disk.
    >Installation goes along fine untill disk layout at which time I have
    >available about 33 GB of a 146 GB disk to configure. If I continue the
    >install using the available space the installation works but I never
    >get access to the lost space under solaris.

    See Sun Alerts: 101599 and 101826.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  4. Re: 146 GB disk configures to 33 GB under Solaris 10 (3/05)

    Good stuff above. I opted to donwload the 01/06 version and install
    that ( I had ben on 03/05). Problem solved.

    It's getting very common for systems to be delivered without floppy.
    It sure would be nice to install drivers at boot time from USB or CD.
    None of the PE1850's we just bought have floppys and the above
    solutions were going to be pretty painful.

    Another note, I had been setting acpi-user-options=0x4 to get the
    install in version 03/05 to boot succesfully. It was hanging while
    trying to read the CD (before the GUI came up during the install).
    Version 01/06 boots and installs without the need for special
    instruction.

    Thanks for the help.

  5. Re: 146 GB disk configures to 33 GB under Solaris 10 (3/05)

    In article <1138504881.618679.106330@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >It's getting very common for systems to be delivered without floppy.
    >It sure would be nice to install drivers at boot time from USB or CD.

    I believe with 1/06 you can use ITU CDs.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

+ Reply to Thread