adding disk - Solaris

This is a discussion on adding disk - Solaris ; I'd love to add a new SCSI disk to a solaris 10 machine. I can tell the drive is detected, as the compaq raid drive seems to think it's "sd4". iostat -E agrees that it's sd4. So what's the next ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

  1. adding disk

    I'd love to add a new SCSI disk to a solaris 10 machine.

    I can tell the drive is detected, as the compaq raid drive seems to think
    it's "sd4". iostat -E agrees that it's sd4.

    So what's the next step? I've looked at the sun docs, and they're useless.
    I came across this:

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...kisoq3c?a=view

    so, they run fdisk and get listings of data and menus. I run fdisk and
    get:

    # fdisk
    Usage: fdisk
    [ -A id:act:bhead:bsect:bcyl:ehead:esect:ecyl:rsect:num sect ]
    [ -b masterboot ]
    [ -D id:act:bhead:bsect:bcyl:ehead:esect:ecyl:rsect:num sect ]
    [ -F fdisk_file ] [ -h ] [ -o offset ] [ -P fill_patt ] [ -s size ]
    [ -S geom_file ] [ [ -v ] -W { creat_fdisk_file | - } ]
    [ -w | r | d | n | I | B | E | g | G | R | t | T ] rdevice

    Detailed help is available with the -h option.

    Now what?

  2. Re: adding disk

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > I'd love to add a new SCSI disk to a solaris 10 machine.
    >
    > I can tell the drive is detected, as the compaq raid drive seems to think
    > it's "sd4". iostat -E agrees that it's sd4.

    I'm not a Solaris x86 person (have it a couple of times, but nothing too
    clever), but since iostat sees it, when not try running format and slice
    the disk as you want? You *may* not need fdisk at all.

    # format
    Searching for disks...done

    AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
    0. c0t0d0
    /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/sd@0,0
    1. c0t1d0
    /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/sd@1,0
    2. c1t0d0
    /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3,1/sd@0,0
    3. c1t3d0
    /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3,1/sd@3,0
    Specify disk (enter its number):

    pick a disk, say #2

    Specify disk (enter its number): 2
    selecting c1t0d0
    [disk formatted]
    Warning: Current Disk has mounted partitions.

    FORMAT MENU:
    disk - select a disk
    type - select (define) a disk type
    partition - select (define) a partition table
    current - describe the current disk
    format - format and analyze the disk
    repair - repair a defective sector
    label - write label to the disk
    analyze - surface analysis
    defect - defect list management
    backup - search for backup labels
    verify - read and display labels
    save - save new disk/partition definitions
    inquiry - show vendor, product and revision
    volname - set 8-character volume name
    ! - execute , then return
    quit
    format> par // you can abveriate, so this is short for partition.

    PARTITION MENU:
    0 - change `0' partition
    1 - change `1' partition
    2 - change `2' partition
    3 - change `3' partition
    4 - change `4' partition
    5 - change `5' partition
    6 - change `6' partition
    7 - change `7' partition
    select - select a predefined table
    modify - modify a predefined partition table
    name - name the current table
    print - display the current table
    label - write partition map and label to the disk
    ! - execute , then return
    quit
    partition> pri
    Current partition table (original):
    Total disk cylinders available: 14087 + 2 (reserved cylinders)

    Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks
    0 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
    1 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
    2 backup wm 0 - 14086 34.18GB (14087/0/0) 71674656
    3 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
    4 home wm 0 - 7042 17.09GB (7043/0/0) 35834784
    5 usr wm 7043 - 14086 17.09GB (7044/0/0) 35839872
    6 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
    7 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0

    partition>

    partition> 4
    Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks
    4 home wm 0 - 7042 17.09GB (7043/0/0) 35834784

    Enter partition id tag[home]:

    etc etc.

    --
    Dave K

  3. Re: adding disk

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > I'd love to add a new SCSI disk to a solaris 10 machine.
    >
    > I can tell the drive is detected, as the compaq raid drive seems to think
    > it's "sd4". iostat -E agrees that it's sd4.
    >
    > So what's the next step? I've looked at the sun docs, and they're useless.
    > I came across this:

    So apparently, solaris 10 is braindead. Even though the system DOES see
    the hard drive, it really doesn't.

    running the disk or disks command (which returns no output back to the
    user, or course) then running format made the new disk appear as option 2,
    which in my case is the third disk.

    Also, it seems the fdisk utility you need to run is INSIDE the format
    command. I have no idea what the standalone fdisk command is even for.
    I've found no way to get it to do anything aside from list how to use it
    in short form.

    So it seems to add a new disk do this:

    run disks (possibly devfsadm, it's not clear what the difference is)
    run format
    select the new drive you want to work with
    run fdisk
    setup partitions
    maybe label the drive with a name
    save config
    run newfs on /dev/rdsk/[nonsense solaris disk names, partition]
    mount as usual

    I just eclipsed any sun document ever written.

    sun is completely incompetent when it comes to writing technical
    documentation.

    > http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...kisoq3c?a=view
    >
    > so, they run fdisk and get listings of data and menus. I run fdisk and
    > get:
    >
    > # fdisk
    > Usage: fdisk
    > [ -A id:act:bhead:bsect:bcyl:ehead:esect:ecyl:rsect:num sect ]
    > [ -b masterboot ]
    > [ -D id:act:bhead:bsect:bcyl:ehead:esect:ecyl:rsect:num sect ]
    > [ -F fdisk_file ] [ -h ] [ -o offset ] [ -P fill_patt ] [ -s size ]
    > [ -S geom_file ] [ [ -v ] -W { creat_fdisk_file | - } ]
    > [ -w | r | d | n | I | B | E | g | G | R | t | T ] rdevice
    >
    > Detailed help is available with the -h option.
    >

    > Now what?

  4. Re: adding disk

    As described in http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...kisoq3c?a=view

    > So it seems to add a new disk do this:
    >
    > run disks (possibly devfsadm, it's not clear what the difference is)
    > run format
    > select the new drive you want to work with
    > run fdisk
    > setup partitions
    > maybe label the drive with a name
    > save config
    > run newfs on /dev/rdsk/[nonsense solaris disk names, partition]
    > mount as usual
    >
    > I just eclipsed any sun document ever written.

    You mean the one at
    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...kisoq38?a=view

    ?

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

  5. Re: adding disk

    Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader writes:
    >
    >> Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >>> I'd love to add a new SCSI disk to a solaris 10 machine.
    >>>
    >>> I can tell the drive is detected, as the compaq raid drive seems to think
    >>> it's "sd4". iostat -E agrees that it's sd4.
    >>>
    >>> So what's the next step? I've looked at the sun docs, and they're useless.
    >>> I came across this:

    >> So apparently, solaris 10 is braindead. Even though the system DOES see
    >> the hard drive, it really doesn't.
    >>
    >> running the disk or disks command (which returns no output back to the
    >> user, or course) then running format made the new disk appear as option 2,
    >> which in my case is the third disk.
    >>
    >> Also, it seems the fdisk utility you need to run is INSIDE the format
    >> command. I have no idea what the standalone fdisk command is even for.
    >> I've found no way to get it to do anything aside from list how to use it
    >> in short form.
    >>

    > As described in http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...kisoq3c?a=view
    >
    >> So it seems to add a new disk do this:
    >>
    >> run disks (possibly devfsadm, it's not clear what the difference is)
    >> run format
    >> select the new drive you want to work with
    >> run fdisk
    >> setup partitions
    >> maybe label the drive with a name
    >> save config
    >> run newfs on /dev/rdsk/[nonsense solaris disk names, partition]
    >> mount as usual
    >>
    >> I just eclipsed any sun document ever written.

    > You mean the one at
    > http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...kisoq38?a=view

    Yes, I do mean that one. That doc is completely stupid. I cannot even
    imagine how useless the translated versions might be.

    - It doesn't cover making solaris actually see a device as a hard disk, or
    seeing if it's detected.
    - They don't mention how to make format even see a new drive you installed
    or what do do if it's not detected.
    - somehow, there's a program called fdisk that does nothing, and a fdisk
    inside another program called format. I suggest they put format inside the
    reboot command, or move fdisk into ifconfig, then make another program
    called ifconfig that doesn't appear to do anything at all.

    This doc:

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...kisoq1q?a=view

    makes no mention of what to do if a newly added drive doesn't appear in
    the list is makes when you run format. Each of these pages is a 50% rehash
    of another page, each of which is missing about 90% of any relevant
    information to the task they're supposed to address.

  6. Re: adding disk

    Cydrome Leader writes:

    >> You mean the one at
    >> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...kisoq38?a=view

    > Yes, I do mean that one. That doc is completely stupid. I cannot even
    > imagine how useless the translated versions might be.
    >
    > - It doesn't cover making solaris actually see a device as a hard disk, or
    > seeing if it's detected.
    > - They don't mention how to make format even see a new drive you installed
    > or what do do if it's not detected.
    > - somehow, there's a program called fdisk that does nothing, and a fdisk
    > inside another program called format. I suggest they put format inside the
    > reboot command, or move fdisk into ifconfig, then make another program
    > called ifconfig that doesn't appear to do anything at all.
    >
    > This doc:
    >
    > http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...kisoq1q?a=view
    >
    > makes no mention of what to do if a newly added drive doesn't appear in
    > the list is makes when you run format. Each of these pages is a 50% rehash
    > of another page, each of which is missing about 90% of any relevant
    > information to the task they're supposed to address.

    Well, it is mentioned that you need to create /reconfigure file before
    adding the disk. I do see that mentioned half way down the page on
    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...kisoq3c?a=view
    in the section "x86: How to Connect a Secondary Disk and Boot"

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

  7. Re: adding disk

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> I'd love to add a new SCSI disk to a solaris 10 machine.
    >>
    >> I can tell the drive is detected, as the compaq raid drive seems to think
    >> it's "sd4". iostat -E agrees that it's sd4.
    >>
    >> So what's the next step? I've looked at the sun docs, and they're useless.
    >> I came across this:

    > So apparently, solaris 10 is braindead. Even though the system DOES see
    > the hard drive, it really doesn't.

    Just read the man pages. They are comprehensive and helpful.

    fdisk requires an argument: The raw disk path. If you supply this argument,
    you will be presented with the interactive fdisk interface.

    For me it looks more like you just want to find something to rant against.
    Or in your case the PEBKAC.

    --
    Daniel

  8. Re: adding disk

    Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader writes:
    >
    >>> You mean the one at
    >>> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...kisoq38?a=view

    >> Yes, I do mean that one. That doc is completely stupid. I cannot even
    >> imagine how useless the translated versions might be.
    >>
    >> - It doesn't cover making solaris actually see a device as a hard disk, or
    >> seeing if it's detected.
    >> - They don't mention how to make format even see a new drive you installed
    >> or what do do if it's not detected.
    >> - somehow, there's a program called fdisk that does nothing, and a fdisk
    >> inside another program called format. I suggest they put format inside the
    >> reboot command, or move fdisk into ifconfig, then make another program
    >> called ifconfig that doesn't appear to do anything at all.
    >>
    >> This doc:
    >>
    >> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...kisoq1q?a=view
    >>
    >> makes no mention of what to do if a newly added drive doesn't appear in
    >> the list is makes when you run format. Each of these pages is a 50% rehash
    >> of another page, each of which is missing about 90% of any relevant
    >> information to the task they're supposed to address.

    > Well, it is mentioned that you need to create /reconfigure file before
    > adding the disk. I do see that mentioned half way down the page on
    > http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...kisoq3c?a=view
    > in the section "x86: How to Connect a Secondary Disk and Boot"

    Ok, and that didn't work.

    Next.

  9. Re: adding disk

    Daniel Rock wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >>> I'd love to add a new SCSI disk to a solaris 10 machine.
    >>>
    >>> I can tell the drive is detected, as the compaq raid drive seems to think
    >>> it's "sd4". iostat -E agrees that it's sd4.
    >>>
    >>> So what's the next step? I've looked at the sun docs, and they're useless.
    >>> I came across this:

    >> So apparently, solaris 10 is braindead. Even though the system DOES see
    >> the hard drive, it really doesn't.

    > Just read the man pages. They are comprehensive and helpful.
    >
    > fdisk requires an argument: The raw disk path. If you supply this argument,
    > you will be presented with the interactive fdisk interface.

    Great, point out the doc that shows a user how to probe and identify all installed disks complete with full device
    names.

    > For me it looks more like you just want to find something to rant against.

    I do like to rant about things that are completely stupid. Since the sun
    site has little to nothing about how to add a disk to solaris 10,
    homefully people will find my usenet posts instead, which as far as I can
    see provides supererior instructions, all in a single post.

    > Or in your case the PEBKAC.

    English please.

  10. Re: adding disk

    Cydrome Leader writes:

    > Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:
    >> Well, it is mentioned that you need to create /reconfigure file before
    >> adding the disk. I do see that mentioned half way down the page on
    >> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...kisoq3c?a=view
    >> in the section "x86: How to Connect a Secondary Disk and Boot"

    > Ok, and that didn't work.

    Let me get this straight: you have created /reconfigure file, shut down the
    machine, install the disk and booted and it still didn't recognise the
    disk? The above should have caused a check for new hardware in the system.

    Strange ...

    Bye, Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

  11. Re: adding disk

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >
    >> I'd love to add a new SCSI disk to a solaris 10 machine.
    >>
    >> I can tell the drive is detected, as the compaq raid drive seems to
    >> think it's "sd4". iostat -E agrees that it's sd4.

    > I'm not a Solaris x86 person (have it a couple of times, but nothing too
    > clever), but since iostat sees it, when not try running format and slice
    > the disk as you want? You *may* not need fdisk at all.
    >
    > # format
    > Searching for disks...done

    Yeah, nice try but no cigar!
    That won't work on the i86pc platform. You have to "prep" the disk(s)
    first by `fdisk`ing them, like so:

    fdisk /dev/rdsk/c0d0p0
    fdisk /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0p0

    ....and so on. That'll create a PC-bucket like partition, into which one
    may write the VTOC with a Sun or an EFI label and slice up the disk
    using `format`.

    And BTW, EFI labels were givin' me no love. So if one wants to get
    things up and running quickly, just fdisk the disks, use `format` to
    write a Sun label onto them, then slice 'em up, and lay the FileSystems
    on 'em.

  12. Re: adding disk

    Cydrome Leader wrote:

    > So apparently, solaris 10 is braindead. Even though the system DOES see
    > the hard drive, it really doesn't.

    So apparently it's not, you just didn't realize that on the i86pc
    platform, you have to prep the disk(s) first by running `fdisk`. But
    you didn't know how to use the `fdisk` command properly because you
    didn't read the man pages.

    > sun is completely incompetent when it comes to writing technical
    > documentation.

    Actually, Sun is one of the rare firms out there that has most excellent
    documentation. The problem is that you need to understand a few key
    concepts before you start reading it, or otherwise you won't be able to
    understand the subject matter. It's just like medical science.

    So may I suggest you start here:

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/8.45

    which is for an advanced user. Then, assimilating that, you should be
    able to start digesting sysadmin documentation presented on the
    docs.sun.com site.

    And BTW, `fdisk`ing, `format`ting and laying out new FileSystems on (a)
    disk(s) are all *trivial* operations.

  13. Re: adding disk

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> Or in your case the PEBKAC.

    > English please.

    That was english: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

    --
    Daniel

  14. Re: adding disk

    UX-admin wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >
    >> So apparently, solaris 10 is braindead. Even though the system DOES see
    >> the hard drive, it really doesn't.

    > So apparently it's not, you just didn't realize that on the i86pc
    > platform, you have to prep the disk(s) first by running `fdisk`. But
    > you didn't know how to use the `fdisk` command properly because you
    > didn't read the man pages.
    >
    >> sun is completely incompetent when it comes to writing technical
    >> documentation.

    > Actually, Sun is one of the rare firms out there that has most excellent
    > documentation. The problem is that you need to understand a few key

    Bull****. Sun has horrible docs. You'll notive I don't post to AIX groups
    asking how to add disks.

    > concepts before you start reading it, or otherwise you won't be able to
    > understand the subject matter. It's just like medical science.
    >
    > So may I suggest you start here:
    >
    > http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/8.45
    >
    > which is for an advanced user. Then, assimilating that, you should be
    > able to start digesting sysadmin documentation presented on the
    > docs.sun.com site.
    >
    > And BTW, `fdisk`ing, `format`ting and laying out new FileSystems on (a)
    > disk(s) are all *trivial* operations.

    I've never had a problem with SCO, any BSD, Irix, NeXTstep or AIX with
    adding drives. Since I can handle other past and present unixes just fine,
    since they have documentation that is clear and works. If you can point me
    to the sun doc that outlines the steps in my previous post to make sure an
    solaris 10 box for x86 can detect a drive and then prepare it for use,
    please share the link. I haven't located it, neither has any search on the
    sun site either.

  15. Re: adding disk

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> Actually, Sun is one of the rare firms out there that has most excellent
    >> documentation. The problem is that you need to understand a few key

    > Bull****. Sun has horrible docs. You'll notive I don't post to AIX groups
    > asking how to add disks.

    Funny you mentioned AIX. I had the opposite experience: Unable to integrate
    AIX 5.1 into NIS+ (NISplus, not NIS) via the documentation.

    And the online manual pages are a PITA to read.

    Do yourself and us a favour: Remove Solaris from your machine and unsubscribe
    this newsgroup.

    --
    Daniel

  16. Re: adding disk

    Cydrome Leader wrote:

    >>Actually, Sun is one of the rare firms out there that has most excellent
    >>documentation. The problem is that you need to understand a few key

    > Bull****. Sun has horrible docs. You'll notive I don't post to AIX groups
    > asking how to add disks.

    Does AIX run on a PC?

    Welcome to PC land.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  17. Re: adding disk

    Cydrome Leader wrote:

    > If you can point me
    > to the sun doc that outlines the steps in my previous post to make sure an
    > solaris 10 box for x86 can detect a drive and then prepare it for use,
    > please share the link. I haven't located it, neither has any search on the
    > sun site either.

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819...dd+disk&a=view

    I must admit it took almost 2 minutes to find.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  18. Re: adding disk

    Ian Collins wrote:

    > Does AIX run on a PC?

    No, but I would admit IBM's "redbooks"

    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/

    are very nice. They are large books that you can buy, but can also
    download and print for only the cost of the paper and bandwidth.

    For example this one (514 pages)

    "IBM eServer Certification Study Guide - pSeries AIX System Administration"

    is essentially a free system admin book for AIX. It is aimed at those
    doing AIX certification, but I found it a good way to learn some AIX -
    at least enough to get AIX installed on my RS/6000.

    I think the real 'black sheep' for documentation are HP in my experience.

    --
    Dave K

  19. Re: adding disk

    Daniel Rock wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >>> Actually, Sun is one of the rare firms out there that has most excellent
    >>> documentation. The problem is that you need to understand a few key

    >> Bull****. Sun has horrible docs. You'll notive I don't post to AIX groups
    >> asking how to add disks.

    > Funny you mentioned AIX. I had the opposite experience: Unable to integrate
    > AIX 5.1 into NIS+ (NISplus, not NIS) via the documentation.

    > And the online manual pages are a PITA to read.

    You must be a consultant, fast effective information is not something
    that's good for your billable time.

    > Do yourself and us a favour: Remove Solaris from your machine and unsubscribe
    > this newsgroup.

    Won't happen.

  20. Re: adding disk

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >
    >>>Actually, Sun is one of the rare firms out there that has most excellent
    >>>documentation. The problem is that you need to understand a few key

    >> Bull****. Sun has horrible docs. You'll notive I don't post to AIX groups
    >> asking how to add disks.
    >>

    > Does AIX run on a PC?

    In fact AIX 2 did. PC/RTs ran AIX as well. Lower end workstation style
    RS/6000s used a standard PCI architecture as well as PC components.

    > Welcome to PC land.

    Welcome to unix.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast