SCSI problems on X4200 - Solaris

This is a discussion on SCSI problems on X4200 - Solaris ; Hi all, I'm having a devil of a time installing Solaris (Nevada builds 28 and 30) on my X4200. This machine has a pair of 36GB disks in slots 0 and 1, and a pair of 72GB disks in slots ...

  1. SCSI problems on X4200

    Hi all,

    I'm having a devil of a time installing Solaris (Nevada builds 28
    and 30) on my X4200. This machine has a pair of 36GB disks in slots
    0 and 1, and a pair of 72GB disks in slots 2 and 3.

    All the disks are seen by the BIOS, and I've managed to perform a
    surface check of all disks using the LSI MPT SAS BIOS software thing
    (the software that runs when you type Control-C on bootup). No
    errors occurred.

    Booting from the internal DVD drive seems to take ages, but that's
    just the begining of the problems. Numerous messages from the SCSI
    subsystem appear on the console, like this:

    WARNING: /pci@0,0/pci1022,7450@2/pci1000,3060@3/sd@0,0 (sd3):
    SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': giving up

    (This is after selecting a Solaris Interactive installation.)

    Is this a known issue with builds 28 and 30 (I plan to burn Solaris 10
    1/06 onto a DVD later tonight to try THAT), or--as I suspect--am I
    seeing a hardware problem? I've tried various combinations of disks,
    including booting with only one 36GB disk installed, all to no avail.
    The thing is: if this IS a HW issue, why does the LSI MPT SAS BIOS
    software work without errors?

    Any clues greatfully received!

    TIA,

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  2. Re: SCSI problems on X4200

    In article , Rich Teer wrote:

    > I'm having a devil of a time installing Solaris (Nevada builds 28
    > and 30) on my X4200. This machine has a pair of 36GB disks in slots
    > 0 and 1, and a pair of 72GB disks in slots 2 and 3.
    >
    > Booting from the internal DVD drive seems to take ages, but that's
    > just the begining of the problems. Numerous messages from the SCSI
    > subsystem appear on the console, like this:
    >
    > WARNING: /pci@0,0/pci1022,7450@2/pci1000,3060@3/sd@0,0 (sd3):
    > SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': giving up

    1. Is the machine fully up to date on its firmware? (I'd guess so since
    it's newish, but doesn't hurt to check.)

    2. Is the message only for sd0,0?

    If it's only for sd0,0, you may have a cabling or drive problems leading
    to noise and related sympathetic SCSI bus resets. If so, physically
    remove the drive from the system and see if things quiets down.

    If it persists, even for only one hard drive installed -- and then
    persists even if a different hard drive is put in its place, then you
    probably have some sort of non-physical issue. (e.g. firmware, driver)

    -Dan

  3. Re: SCSI problems on X4200

    ....and for giggles, does it work any better with Solaris 10 Update 1?

    -Dan

  4. Re: SCSI problems on X4200

    On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Dan Foster wrote:

    > 1. Is the machine fully up to date on its firmware? (I'd guess so since
    > it's newish, but doesn't hurt to check.)

    It is AFAIK. It's BIOS rev is 8.0.10, dated 08/10/05; a quick look around
    the X4200 download site doesn't reveal a newer one.

    > 2. Is the message only for sd0,0?

    Nope.

    > If it's only for sd0,0, you may have a cabling or drive problems leading
    > to noise and related sympathetic SCSI bus resets. If so, physically
    > remove the drive from the system and see if things quiets down.

    Tried that.

    > If it persists, even for only one hard drive installed -- and then
    > persists even if a different hard drive is put in its place, then you
    > probably have some sort of non-physical issue. (e.g. firmware, driver)

    Hopefully; although I can't think of what to do next.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  5. Re: SCSI problems on X4200

    On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Dan Foster wrote:

    > ...and for giggles, does it work any better with Solaris 10 Update 1?

    I'll try that later (I need to buy some more recordable DVDs). If it
    works, great, although I want to play with ZFS on this beast, so Nevada
    build 28+ is preferable.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  6. Re: SCSI problems on X4200

    In article , Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Dan Foster wrote:
    >
    >> ...and for giggles, does it work any better with Solaris 10 Update 1?

    > I'll try that later (I need to buy some more recordable DVDs). If it
    > works, great, although I want to play with ZFS on this beast, so Nevada
    > build 28+ is preferable.

    Well, it's just a troubleshooting step to see if it's some kind of
    subtle or weird driver issue introduced in Nevada, but one that doesn't
    exist in S10 itself.

    If it's problematic even with S10U1 (considering S10U1 is fully
    qualified for and supported with the X4200), then would lean towards
    hardware issue in some way.

    -Dan

  7. Re: SCSI problems on X4200

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Dan Foster wrote:
    >
    > > ...and for giggles, does it work any better with Solaris 10 Update 1?

    > I'll try that later (I need to buy some more recordable DVDs). If it
    > works, great, although I want to play with ZFS on this beast, so Nevada
    > build 28+ is preferable.

    I installed two X4200 Monday.
    These were two off Opteron 280's with 8 GB ram and Four 73 Gb
    disks
    They came preinstalled with S10HW1 i assume, but neither was able to
    boot solaris.
    I Reinstalled from scratch with S10u1 via the GRASP card and
    JavaRConsole.
    This way I eventually got the boxed up and running.

    //Lars

  8. Re: SCSI problems on X4200

    On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Dan Foster wrote:

    > If it's problematic even with S10U1 (considering S10U1 is fully
    > qualified for and supported with the X4200), then would lean towards
    > hardware issue in some way.

    Agreed. I didn't get the recordable media last night--tonight for
    sure.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  9. Re: SCSI problems on X4200

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, tunla wrote:

    > I installed two X4200 Monday.
    > These were two off Opteron 280's with 8 GB ram and Four 73 Gb
    > disks
    > They came preinstalled with S10HW1 i assume, but neither was able to
    > boot solaris.
    > I Reinstalled from scratch with S10u1 via the GRASP card and
    > JavaRConsole.
    > This way I eventually got the boxed up and running.

    Good to hear; I to oam using the ILOM/JavaRConsole thing. Bit of a
    shame that I can't get the CDROM and ISO attachment features to work
    as advertised. That at least would save me the hassle of burning
    media.

    I'm gonna try booting from a S10U1 DVD later today, and if I still get
    no joy I'll be phoning Sun.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  10. Re: SCSI problems on X4200

    HI,

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, tunla wrote:
    >

    >> I installed two X4200 Monday.
    >> These were two off Opteron 280's with 8 GB ram and Four 73 Gb
    >>disks
    >>They came preinstalled with S10HW1 i assume, but neither was able to
    >>boot solaris.
    >>I Reinstalled from scratch with S10u1 via the GRASP card and
    >>JavaRConsole.
    >>This way I eventually got the boxed up and running.

    > Good to hear; I to oam using the ILOM/JavaRConsole thing. Bit of a
    > shame that I can't get the CDROM and ISO attachment features to work
    > as advertised. That at least would save me the hassle of burning
    > media.
    >
    > I'm gonna try booting from a S10U1 DVD later today, and if I still get
    > no joy I'll be phoning Sun.

    Welcome to the world of PC's

    /michael

  11. Re: SCSI problems on X4200

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Michael Laajanen wrote:

    > Welcome to the world of PC's

    The same thought occured to me...

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  12. Re: SCSI problems on X4200

    HI,

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Michael Laajanen wrote:
    >

    >>Welcome to the world of PC's

    > The same thought occured to me...

    I don't know whats wrong for you but PC is a mess, they change chipsets,
    versions so frequently that it is a mess.

    Linux plays nice in PC HW, it was like Solaris for a loong time ago, and
    now it works fine but there is a price, have you ever looked at the the
    drivers in Linux, gosh!

    /michael

  13. Re: SCSI problems on X4200

    Hello fellow x4100/x4200 users,

    Rich Teer writes:

    > On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, tunla wrote:
    >
    > > I installed two X4200 Monday.
    > > These were two off Opteron 280's with 8 GB ram and Four 73 Gb
    > > disks
    > > They came preinstalled with S10HW1 i assume, but neither was able to
    > > boot solaris.
    > > I Reinstalled from scratch with S10u1 via the GRASP card and
    > > JavaRConsole.
    > > This way I eventually got the boxed up and running.

    > Good to hear; I to oam using the ILOM/JavaRConsole thing. Bit of a
    > shame that I can't get the CDROM and ISO attachment features to work
    > as advertised. That at least would save me the hassle of burning
    > media.
    >
    > I'm gonna try booting from a S10U1 DVD later today, and if I still get
    > no joy I'll be phoning Sun.

    A few words of caution/experience here:

    Our x4100, delivered at the very end of Decemeber, came with
    S10 HW1 installed, but it took me a while to figure that out...

    I fired up a webserver to the DHCP allocated IP address for the iLOM
    processor. Played around with the GUI, from which I started the
    JavaWebStart Remote console thingy. On powering-up it displayed the
    BIOS screens fine but seemed to hang after it said it was booting
    Solaris.

    After alot of head-scratching and poking around I read the
    Preinstalled Solaris 10 Guide:

    http://www.sun.com/products-n-soluti...19-4153-11.pdf

    Which talked about ssh-ing into iLOM and doing:

    start /SP/console

    Only when I did this did I see some parts of the boot process that I
    was not seeing with the Java console. In particular, the DCA, the
    blue-screen secondary boot loader, and what was causing the boot
    process to hang in my case, the sysidconfig/sysidtool stuff about
    selecting the initial language: "0 English" type stuff.

    With S10 HW1 (as preinstalled) certain parts of the boot
    process were preconfigured to talk to the serial port
    (eeprom/DCA output-device type settings) and thus
    did not appear on the graphical screen.

    After burning the S10U1 DVD and doing the install,
    GRUB by default talks to the graphical screen
    device (and has the option of being configured
    to talk to the serial device) and the S10U1 install
    is much easier.

    I kind of like the iLOM web-server GUI and the Java console, and the
    ssh support is an advantage over ALOM.
    But this business of certain parts of the boot process being visible
    either on the graphical console or on the serial one, but not both, is
    one of those infuriating PC-isms that tripped me up. Give me OpenBoot
    and ALOM any day!

    Cheers,

    Nigel
    --
    Nigel Whitaker, DeltaXML: "Change control for XML, in XML"
    nigel.whitaker@deltaxml.com http://www.deltaxml.com

  14. Re: SCSI problems on X4200

    A curious mind wishes to politely enquire as to the outcome of booting
    S10U1/x86 on the X4200.

    Cheers,

    -Dan

  15. Re: SCSI problems on X4200

    Dan Foster wrote:
    > A curious mind wishes to politely enquire as to the outcome of booting
    > S10U1/x86 on the X4200.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > -Dan

    As I said earlier in this thread , It Works .
    I have installed two X4200 with S10u1 and JavaRconsole.
    As I did not have DVD media but Homeburned CD media I had some
    trouble
    with the process where the installer asks for the next CD.
    I solved that by fireing up a dtterm window and mounting each CD
    manually and starting the installer on each CD manually.

    Then the complete boot and run including DTLOGIN and CDE/JDS can
    be
    run via JavaRConsole.

    //Lars

  16. Re: SCSI problems on X4200

    In article <1138455843.527854.81520@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>, tunla wrote:

    > Dan Foster wrote:
    >> A curious mind wishes to politely enquire as to the outcome of booting
    >> S10U1/x86 on the X4200.

    > As I said earlier in this thread , It Works .

    I know it does for you. I'm just curious if it has been conclusively
    proven that Mr. Teer has hardware problems.

    It would be quite odd if relatively recent Nevada builds didn't have
    support for the X4200.

    -Dan

  17. Re: SCSI problems on X4200

    On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Dan Foster wrote:

    > A curious mind wishes to politely enquire as to the outcome of booting
    > S10U1/x86 on the X4200.

    Sorry about that! Yes, S10 U1 booted just fine on my X4200. Apparently,
    the builds of Nevada that I was trying have an issue with their mpt driver.
    This is, so I hear, fixed in build 31: I intend to give that a try as soon
    as I can.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638