ZFS in 1/06 x86? - Solaris

This is a discussion on ZFS in 1/06 x86? - Solaris ; Just installed Solaris 10 1/06 within VMware 4.5.3... I thought ZFS was going to be released with this version? Looked through the 1/06 Sun release notes, but there's not mention of ZFS. ZFS somewhere else, not out yet, or should ...

  1. ZFS in 1/06 x86?

    Just installed Solaris 10 1/06 within VMware 4.5.3... I thought ZFS was
    going to be released with this version? Looked through the 1/06 Sun release
    notes, but there's not mention of ZFS.

    ZFS somewhere else, not out yet, or should I go to OpenSolaris?

    Marco

  2. Re: ZFS in 1/06 x86?

    > ZFS somewhere else, not out yet, or should I go to OpenSolaris?

    The current Express release features ZFS. It'll be some time before this will
    be deemed stable.

    --
    Groetjes, Peter

    ..\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

  3. Re: ZFS in 1/06 x86?

    On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Marco Shaw wrote:

    > Just installed Solaris 10 1/06 within VMware 4.5.3... I thought ZFS was
    > going to be released with this version? Looked through the 1/06 Sun release
    > notes, but there's not mention of ZFS.

    That's correct. Hopefully, ZFS will make it into Update 2.

    > ZFS somewhere else, not out yet, or should I go to OpenSolaris?

    If you want ZFS now, you have to go the Solaris Express route.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  4. Re: ZFS in 1/06 x86?

    > > Just installed Solaris 10 1/06 within VMware 4.5.3... I thought ZFS was
    > > going to be released with this version? Looked through the 1/06 Sun

    release
    > > notes, but there's not mention of ZFS.

    > That's correct. Hopefully, ZFS will make it into Update 2.

    "Update 2"? Release 1/06 actually means "January 2006 release" or is that
    "2006 Update 1"?

    Any ETA for UP2?

    Marco

  5. Re: ZFS in 1/06 x86?

    On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Marco Shaw wrote:

    > "Update 2"? Release 1/06 actually means "January 2006 release" or is that
    > "2006 Update 1"?

    Solaris 10 1/06 refers to the January 2006 version of Solaris 10, which
    is also known as Solaris 10 Update 1.

    > Any ETA for UP2?

    None that I'm aware of, although Sun usually follows a roughly quarterly
    cycle with releases, so I'd guess Update 2 will be here sometime in the
    next 3 to 6 months.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  6. Re: ZFS in 1/06 x86?

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > That's correct. Hopefully, ZFS will make it into Update 2.

    The folks seemed /very/ optimistic at LISA05.

    lg, Bernd

  7. Re: ZFS in 1/06 x86?

    Rich Teer wrote:

    > On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Marco Shaw wrote:
    >

    >>"Update 2"? Release 1/06 actually means "January 2006 release" or is that
    >>"2006 Update 1"?

    > Solaris 10 1/06 refers to the January 2006 version of Solaris 10, which
    > is also known as Solaris 10 Update 1.
    >

    >>Any ETA for UP2?

    > None that I'm aware of, although Sun usually follows a roughly quarterly
    > cycle with releases,

    How long between Sol10 and this update 1?

    so I'd guess Update 2 will be here sometime in the
    > next 3 to 6 months.

  8. Re: ZFS in 1/06 x86?

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Marco Shaw wrote:
    >

    >>"Update 2"? Release 1/06 actually means "January 2006 release" or is that
    >>"2006 Update 1"?

    > Solaris 10 1/06 refers to the January 2006 version of Solaris 10, which
    > is also known as Solaris 10 Update 1.

    Which was available in December 2005 !! A bit like magazines, which
    appear a month or two before the date on their cover.

    --
    Dave K

  9. Re: ZFS in 1/06 x86?

    CJT wrote:

    > How long between Sol10 and this update 1?

    That's a different story, they had to introduce new boot in update one,
    not a trivial task!

    --
    Ian Collins.

  10. Re: ZFS in 1/06 x86?

    Ian Collins wrote:

    > CJT wrote:
    >

    >> How long between Sol10 and this update 1?
    >>

    > That's a different story, they had to introduce new boot in update one,
    > not a trivial task!

    Is ZFS a trivial task, then?

  11. Re: ZFS in 1/06 x86?

    CJT wrote:
    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >
    > > CJT wrote:
    > >

    > >> How long between Sol10 and this update 1?
    > >>

    > > That's a different story, they had to introduce new boot in update one,
    > > not a trivial task!
    > >

    > Is ZFS a trivial task, then?

    It is - in a sense that it doesn't change whole boot process or any other
    standard Solaris features. With New Boot Architecture there're a lot of
    changes to the system if you want them or not. With ZFS if you do not want to use
    it then nothing changes.

    --
    Robert Milkowski
    rmilkowskiASDDSAD@wp-sa.pl