Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes - Solaris

This is a discussion on Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes - Solaris ; Bill Waddington writes: >Did you ever get this working? I wish you hadn't posted this because >it has become a bit of an obsession with me... Worked for me.... >What I have discovered is that for some boxes just installing ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

  1. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    Bill Waddington writes:

    >Did you ever get this working? I wish you hadn't posted this because
    >it has become a bit of an obsession with me...

    Worked for me....

    >What I have discovered is that for some boxes just installing grub
    >and running setup isn't enough to make a stick appear as bootable.
    >Some will happily boot it, others need the stick to be sprinkled
    >with the right pixy dust first.

    Interesting; don't know what makes that so.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  2. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    On 15 Feb 2006 21:13:57 GMT, Casper H.S. Dik
    wrote:

    >Bill Waddington writes:
    >
    >>Did you ever get this working? I wish you hadn't posted this because
    >>it has become a bit of an obsession with me...

    >Worked for me....
    >
    >>What I have discovered is that for some boxes just installing grub
    >>and running setup isn't enough to make a stick appear as bootable.
    >>Some will happily boot it, others need the stick to be sprinkled
    >>with the right pixy dust first.

    >Interesting; don't know what makes that so.

    I'm not entirely sure what's up but there is some kind of "bootable"
    flag bit or signature that some BIOSs require. All the Intel MBs
    that I have tried (only 2 so far) insist on this. Other systems
    like my W1100Z and Thinkpad don't require this. They would happily
    boot the stick after just copying grub files over and running grub's
    setup command.

    After running this formatting utility I could then do whatever
    partitioning I wanted and install grub and could boot on Intel and
    the other boxen. Without doing this first Intel said "not bootable".

    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/20306.html

    This windows pgm wants the usual DOS boot files availabe before it is
    willing to run.

    When I get a chance I'm going to try to dig a little deeper and find
    out exactly what is being set. W/that information it ought to be
    possible to just dd the right stuff into the stick w/out resorting to
    winxx. (feel free to insert the info here....)

    One other thing I notice is that while I can happily create multiple
    partitions on the fob, windows will only mount the 1st one. It will
    show the others in Disk Management but won't allow access. It will
    also "mount" the first partiton even if it is foreign and ask to
    format it! Just a word to the wise I hoped I could have a Solaris
    or Linux partition as the 1st and FAT as the 2nd for a scratch
    parition but WinXP refuses to mount the FAT part - and wants to eat
    the UNIX one

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  3. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:19:27 -0800, Bill Waddington
    wrote:

    >On 15 Feb 2006 21:13:57 GMT, Casper H.S. Dik
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Bill Waddington writes:
    >>
    >>>Did you ever get this working? I wish you hadn't posted this because
    >>>it has become a bit of an obsession with me...

    >>Worked for me....
    >>
    >>>What I have discovered is that for some boxes just installing grub
    >>>and running setup isn't enough to make a stick appear as bootable.
    >>>Some will happily boot it, others need the stick to be sprinkled
    >>>with the right pixy dust first.

    >>Interesting; don't know what makes that so.

    >I'm not entirely sure what's up but there is some kind of "bootable"
    >flag bit or signature that some BIOSs require. All the Intel MBs
    >that I have tried (only 2 so far) insist on this. Other systems
    >like my W1100Z and Thinkpad don't require this. They would happily
    >boot the stick after just copying grub files over and running grub's
    >setup command.

    I'm wondering if Intel BIOS requires a complete MBR on USB flash in
    addition to a boot sector in the active partition. Maybe other BIOSs
    just boot the boot sector directly.

    Does grub write a full MBR, or just parts, or none or ??? Anyone
    willing to shed some light on this???

    Thanks,
    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  4. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    Bill Waddington writes:

    > I'm wondering if Intel BIOS requires a complete MBR on USB flash in
    > addition to a boot sector in the active partition.

    Every BIOS needs valid bootcode on the MBR to be able to boot from
    that device.

  5. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 14:12:30 +0100, Juergen Keil wrote:

    >Bill Waddington writes:
    >
    >> I'm wondering if Intel BIOS requires a complete MBR on USB flash in
    >> addition to a boot sector in the active partition.

    >Every BIOS needs valid bootcode on the MBR to be able to boot from
    >that device.

    Thanks. So I'm back to wondering why a grub install isn't
    sufficiently "bootable" for some BIOS implementations, but the HP
    windows "make bootable disk" utility _is_.

    Guess it's time for a reference doc and a bunch of dd if=fob and
    a hex dump utility

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  6. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:24:29 GMT, Rich Teer wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I'm trying to create a bootable Solaris USB memory stick. I've
    >followed what little instructions I can find, but I don't get
    >anywhere. I've created a FAT32 and Solaris partition on my 64 MB
    >memory stick, ran installgrub, and copied /boot/grub/* to the
    >UFS partition I created on the memory stick. All seems to go OK
    >(no errors), but when my Ultra 20 tries to boot from the memory
    >stick, it complains about the disk not being bootable (in other
    >words, it DOES find the memory stci and tries to boot from it,
    >but fails).
    >
    >Any clues greatfully received!

    Hi Rich,

    This had become a permanent obsession with me....

    As I reported previously, I have had some luck booting grub from
    a USB fob. When I used WinXP tools to parition and format I could
    boot from most modern machines that I tested on. When I used
    Linux tools to partition and format, I could boot on fewer boxen.

    The non-boot cases (which would boot the win-formatted fob) would
    report something like "non-bootable disk". I finally realized that
    this message was coming from the boot sector of the fob's active
    partition - not from BIOS. Duh.

    The non-booting cases were trying to boot the active partition's
    boot sector direcly instead of booting grub in the mbr.

    I'm still digging into the why of it, but my quick and dirty work
    around for the unix tools case was to install grub in both the
    fob's MBR _and_ the boot sector of the fob's active partition.

    My notes on booting from USB fob:
    http://www.beezmo.com/FloobyDustDir/...KnoppixUsb.htm
    don't include this morsel yet.

    Might work for your case... If you still care... I would like to
    know, if you have time to test it. It would look good in my
    shrunken-head collection.

    Thanks,

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  7. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Bill Waddington wrote:

    > My notes on booting from USB fob:
    > http://www.beezmo.com/FloobyDustDir/...KnoppixUsb.htm
    > don't include this morsel yet.
    >
    > Might work for your case... If you still care... I would like to
    > know, if you have time to test it. It would look good in my
    > shrunken-head collection.

    Alas, I don't have time at the moment. Real busy, and have family visiting
    from the UK. But, I woudl like to hear how you solve this problem
    eventually!

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  8. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    "Bill Waddington" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:24:29 GMT, Rich Teer wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I'm trying to create a bootable Solaris USB memory stick. I've
    >>followed what little instructions I can find, but I don't get
    >>anywhere. I've created a FAT32 and Solaris partition on my 64 MB
    >>memory stick, ran installgrub, and copied /boot/grub/* to the
    >>UFS partition I created on the memory stick. All seems to go OK
    >>(no errors), but when my Ultra 20 tries to boot from the memory
    >>stick, it complains about the disk not being bootable (in other
    >>words, it DOES find the memory stci and tries to boot from it,
    >>but fails).
    >>
    >>Any clues greatfully received!

    > Hi Rich,
    >
    > This had become a permanent obsession with me....
    >
    > As I reported previously, I have had some luck booting grub from
    > a USB fob. When I used WinXP tools to parition and format I could
    > boot from most modern machines that I tested on. When I used
    > Linux tools to partition and format, I could boot on fewer boxen.
    >
    > The non-boot cases (which would boot the win-formatted fob) would
    > report something like "non-bootable disk". I finally realized that
    > this message was coming from the boot sector of the fob's active
    > partition - not from BIOS. Duh.
    >
    > The non-booting cases were trying to boot the active partition's
    > boot sector direcly instead of booting grub in the mbr.
    >
    > I'm still digging into the why of it, but my quick and dirty work
    > around for the unix tools case was to install grub in both the
    > fob's MBR _and_ the boot sector of the fob's active partition.
    >
    > My notes on booting from USB fob:
    > http://www.beezmo.com/FloobyDustDir/...KnoppixUsb.htm
    > don't include this morsel yet.

    I don't want to make soda (or beer) shoot out of anyone's nose, but I am
    going to hazard a wild guess here, just based on what is in this message. If
    I am way off base and betraying my ignorance it won't be the first time, and
    I hope it is not the last time.

    Rich:
    you speak of FAT32 and GRUB and installgrub. I sort of had the impression
    that was x86 stuff. And isn't an Ultra 20 SPARC based? Never the executable
    code shall meet type situation? A SPARC won't run the X86 kernel.

    I missed the rest of this thread, and I don't know if SPARC Solaris deals
    with FAT and GRUB, but I just checked on my Ultra 10 and there is no /boot.

    Just a thought.

  9. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:33:06 -0400, "Douglas Caviness"
    wrote:

    >"Bill Waddington" wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:24:29 GMT, Rich Teer wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all,
    >>>
    >>>I'm trying to create a bootable Solaris USB memory stick. I've
    >>>followed what little instructions I can find, but I don't get
    >>>anywhere. I've created a FAT32 and Solaris partition on my 64 MB
    >>>memory stick, ran installgrub, and copied /boot/grub/* to the
    >>>UFS partition I created on the memory stick. All seems to go OK
    >>>(no errors), but when my Ultra 20 tries to boot from the memory
    >>>stick, it complains about the disk not being bootable (in other
    >>>words, it DOES find the memory stci and tries to boot from it,
    >>>but fails).
    >>>
    >>>Any clues greatfully received!

    >> Hi Rich,
    >>
    >> This had become a permanent obsession with me....
    >>
    >> As I reported previously, I have had some luck booting grub from
    >> a USB fob. When I used WinXP tools to parition and format I could
    >> boot from most modern machines that I tested on. When I used
    >> Linux tools to partition and format, I could boot on fewer boxen.
    >>
    >> The non-boot cases (which would boot the win-formatted fob) would
    >> report something like "non-bootable disk". I finally realized that
    >> this message was coming from the boot sector of the fob's active
    >> partition - not from BIOS. Duh.
    >>
    >> The non-booting cases were trying to boot the active partition's
    >> boot sector direcly instead of booting grub in the mbr.
    >>
    >> I'm still digging into the why of it, but my quick and dirty work
    >> around for the unix tools case was to install grub in both the
    >> fob's MBR _and_ the boot sector of the fob's active partition.
    >>
    >> My notes on booting from USB fob:
    >> http://www.beezmo.com/FloobyDustDir/...KnoppixUsb.htm
    >> don't include this morsel yet.
    >>

    >I don't want to make soda (or beer) shoot out of anyone's nose, but I am
    >going to hazard a wild guess here, just based on what is in this message. If
    >I am way off base and betraying my ignorance it won't be the first time, and
    >I hope it is not the last time.
    >
    >Rich:
    >you speak of FAT32 and GRUB and installgrub. I sort of had the impression
    >that was x86 stuff. And isn't an Ultra 20 SPARC based? Never the executable
    >code shall meet type situation? A SPARC won't run the X86 kernel.
    >
    >I missed the rest of this thread, and I don't know if SPARC Solaris deals
    >with FAT and GRUB, but I just checked on my Ultra 10 and there is no /boot.
    >
    >Just a thought.

    I should probably let Rich answer this while I clean the Pacifico off my LCD.

    The Ultra 20 is an Opteron-based box:

    http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/ultra20/

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  10. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Douglas Caviness wrote:

    > Rich:
    > you speak of FAT32 and GRUB and installgrub. I sort of had the impression
    > that was x86 stuff. And isn't an Ultra 20 SPARC based? Never the executable
    > code shall meet type situation? A SPARC won't run the X86 kernel.

    You're correct--SPARC won't run x86 code, and vice-versa. However, the Ultra 20
    is x86--specifically, Opeteron--based. Sun's marketing, in their infinite
    wisdom, have started using the Ultra nomenclature for x86-based workstations,
    in addition to SPARC ones (the Ultra 20 and 40 are x86, the Ultra 45 is SPARC).

    > Just a thought.

    Many thanks, but way off base this time. :-)

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  11. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    "Douglas Caviness" writes:

    >you speak of FAT32 and GRUB and installgrub. I sort of had the impression
    >that was x86 stuff. And isn't an Ultra 20 SPARC based? Never the executable
    >code shall meet type situation? A SPARC won't run the X86 kernel.

    The Ultra 20 is an Opteron system, not a SPARC. Confusing, isn't it?

    Casper

  12. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article <449b8dc2$0$31648$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    > Casper H.S. Dik writes:
    >
    >>"Douglas Caviness" writes:
    >>

    >>>you speak of FAT32 and GRUB and installgrub. I sort of had the impression
    >>>that was x86 stuff. And isn't an Ultra 20 SPARC based? Never the executable
    >>>code shall meet type situation? A SPARC won't run the X86 kernel.

    >>The Ultra 20 is an Opteron system, not a SPARC. Confusing, isn't it?

    > Only yesterday, I was having to explain to someone that Sunblades
    > are not blades...

    At least you didn't have to explain what a Sunfire was....

    --
    Ian Collins.

  13. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    On 2006-06-23 08:35:08 +0100, Ian Collins said:

    > Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >> In article <449b8dc2$0$31648$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    >> Casper H.S. Dik writes:

    >>> The Ultra 20 is an Opteron system, not a SPARC. Confusing, isn't it?

    >> Only yesterday, I was having to explain to someone that Sunblades
    >> are not blades...
    >>

    > At least you didn't have to explain what a Sunfire was....

    A broadband ISP here apparently described a firewall as "literally a
    wall of fire" around their (Windows) computer. If only!

    Cheers,

    Chris

  14. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) writes:

    >In article <449b8dc2$0$31648$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    > Casper H.S. Dik writes:
    >> "Douglas Caviness" writes:
    >>
    >>>you speak of FAT32 and GRUB and installgrub. I sort of had the impression
    >>>that was x86 stuff. And isn't an Ultra 20 SPARC based? Never the executable
    >>>code shall meet type situation? A SPARC won't run the X86 kernel.

    >> The Ultra 20 is an Opteron system, not a SPARC. Confusing, isn't it?

    >Only yesterday, I was having to explain to someone that Sunblades
    >are not blades...

    Hm, what name would they use for the new blades which they will announce
    shortly?

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  15. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    > andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) writes:
    >

    >>In article <449b8dc2$0$31648$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    >> Casper H.S. Dik writes:

    >>>The Ultra 20 is an Opteron system, not a SPARC. Confusing, isn't it?

    >>Only yesterday, I was having to explain to someone that Sunblades
    >>are not blades...

    > Hm, what name would they use for the new blades which they will announce
    > shortly?

    If they've got UltraSparc 5 chips in, Pentium probably.

    Pete.

    > Casper

  16. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    Chris Ridd wrote:
    > On 2006-06-23 08:35:08 +0100, Ian Collins said:
    >
    >> Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    >>> Only yesterday, I was having to explain to someone that Sunblades
    >>> are not blades...
    >>>

    >> At least you didn't have to explain what a Sunfire was....

    > A broadband ISP here apparently described a firewall as "literally a
    > wall of fire" around their (Windows) computer. If only!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Chris

    There is always the classic of convincing the user that FACE is a number.

  17. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    In article <449bb52c$0$31651$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    Casper H.S. Dik writes:
    > andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) writes:
    >
    >>In article <449b8dc2$0$31648$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    >> Casper H.S. Dik writes:

    >>> The Ultra 20 is an Opteron system, not a SPARC. Confusing, isn't it?

    >>Only yesterday, I was having to explain to someone that Sunblades
    >>are not blades...

    > Hm, what name would they use for the new blades which they will announce
    > shortly?

    This _is_ Sun's marketing folks we're talking about, right? Then they _have_
    to pick the stupidest, most non-obvious, and downright confusing or absurd
    name they can possibly stretch their miniscule (if creative, in a perverse
    way - must be to be so _consistently_ wrong; like negative ESP, failing
    more often than the odds should favor) minds to come up with.

    I suspect something like Enterprise Grid Edition '57 Chevy (retro is in)
    Netra. But that's probably not crazy enough.

    Obviously, Sun beat the bell curve by putting most of the lower half all
    in one department. But hey, that only works if you _never_ let what they
    do see the light of day.

    Marketing is really just:

    * pick catchy but _consistent_ names

    * splash those names around where the clueless Mr. Pointy Hairs that make
    purchasing decisions will see them until responding to them becomes a
    conditioned reflex

    and maybe

    * get mindshare (desktops, code) in the schools, where the folks making
    decisions 25 years from now will see them, to start their conditioning
    early

    The last of those three almost, sort of, works, sometimes. I suppose
    some other department must be handling that.

    (P.S. I have to admit a bit of auto-drool of my own whenever I hear
    "Galaxy" or "Enterprise"...I always did think NCC-1701D was the sharpest
    looking of the lot...)

    --
    mailto:rlhamil@smart.net http://www.smart.net/~rlhamil

    Lasik/PRK theme music:
    "In the Hall of the Mountain King", from "Peer Gynt"

  18. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    > On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:33:06 -0400, "Douglas Caviness"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I don't want to make soda (or beer) shoot out of anyone's nose, but I am
    >>going to hazard a wild guess here, just based on what is in this message.
    >>If
    >>I am way off base and betraying my ignorance it won't be the first time,
    >>and
    >>I hope it is not the last time.
    >>
    >>Rich:
    >>you speak of FAT32 and GRUB and installgrub. I sort of had the impression
    >>that was x86 stuff. And isn't an Ultra 20 SPARC based? Never the
    >>executable
    >>code shall meet type situation? A SPARC won't run the X86 kernel.
    >>
    >>I missed the rest of this thread, and I don't know if SPARC Solaris deals
    >>with FAT and GRUB, but I just checked on my Ultra 10 and there is no
    >>/boot.
    >>
    >>Just a thought.
    >>
    >>"Bill Waddington" wrote in message

    > I should probably let Rich answer this while I clean the Pacifico off my
    > LCD.
    >
    > The Ultra 20 is an Opteron-based box:
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/ultra20/

    And fortunately I was not drinking my coffee when I read this and the other
    this group that have a similar opinion about the "logic" of marketeering. I
    really liked the "Enterprise Grid Edition '57 Chevy (retro is in) Netra" and
    "If they've got UltraSparc 5 chips in, Pentium probably." messages.

    Laughing is good.

    I sort of figured I had wandered off when I read several of Rich Teer's
    other posts. Rich ain't no newbie. (Hmm, that has a nice rhythm to it, sort
    of like a 50's do-wop song)

  19. Re: Booting Solaris from USB memory stick woes

    Casper H.S. Dik writes:

    >andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) writes:

    >>In article <449b8dc2$0$31648$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    >> Casper H.S. Dik writes:

    >>> The Ultra 20 is an Opteron system, not a SPARC. Confusing, isn't it?

    >>Only yesterday, I was having to explain to someone that Sunblades
    >>are not blades...

    >Hm, what name would they use for the new blades which they will announce
    >shortly?

    "Sun Mainframe 390-series"

    - Peter

    Peter Eriksson Phone: +46 13 28 2786
    Computer Systems Manager/BOFH Cell/GSM: +46 705 18 2786
    Physics Department, Linköping University Room: Building F, F203

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2