Re: Non booting on second hard drive - Solaris

This is a discussion on Re: Non booting on second hard drive - Solaris ; On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 10:44:39 -0700, GreyCloud wrote: > What is the procedure to fix a corrupted boot sector for Solaris 8? Boot from Software CD 1 and break out of the installation after X is configured and running. ...

  1. Re: Non booting on second hard drive

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 10:44:39 -0700, GreyCloud wrote:

    > What is the procedure to fix a corrupted boot sector for Solaris 8?

    Boot from Software CD 1 and break out of the installation after X is
    configured and running. Bring up a terminal and run installboot(1M).

    example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/pboot \
    /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2

  2. Re: Non booting on second hard drive

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:38:44 -0700, GreyCloud wrote:

    > Are there any block scan procedures, just in case the drive has
    > developed a few back blocks?

    format - analyze

    Be careful with this.

  3. Re: Non booting on second hard drive

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:32:09 -0700, GreyCloud wrote:

    > However, here is what is going on: I put in CD1 and boots up the
    > screens. After selecting T1 and the target hard drive to boot from, the
    > system boots up fine.
    >
    > By typing in the installboot at root, I get: "Not a character device"
    > for /dev/dsk/c0t1d1s8, which is the second ATA harddrive I'm booting from.

    You need to re-read the man page for installboot(1M).

    x86
    To use installboot to install the ufs bootblock and parti-
    tion boot program on a disk in an IA machine, you must
    specify slice 2 and that slice must be the entire disk.

    > Normally, when I installed Solaris 8 and then reboot, System Commander 7
    > automatically picks up on this and displays the Solaris 8 logo for which
    > o/s to boot. I reinstalled System Commander and it still doesn't work.

    I know nothing about System Commander. On the one machine where I boot
    multiple OSs I use lilo.

  4. Re: Non booting on second hard drive

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:09:22 -0700, GreyCloud wrote:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    >> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:32:09 -0700, GreyCloud wrote:
    >>

    >>>However, here is what is going on: I put in CD1 and boots up the
    >>>screens. After selecting T1 and the target hard drive to boot from, the
    >>>system boots up fine.
    >>>
    >>>By typing in the installboot at root, I get: "Not a character device"
    >>>for /dev/dsk/c0t1d1s8, which is the second ATA harddrive I'm booting from.

    ^^^^

    >> You need to re-read the man page for installboot(1M).
    >>
    >> x86
    >> To use installboot to install the ufs bootblock and parti-
    >> tion boot program on a disk in an IA machine, you must
    >> specify slice 2 and that slice must be the entire disk.
    >>

    > I used s2 as well, and still got the same error message.
    > According to Suns Docs tho, s8 is the boot slice for ia32.

    [/]# prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s2
    * /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s2 partition map
    *
    * Dimensions:
    * 512 bytes/sector
    * 63 sectors/track
    * 255 tracks/cylinder
    * 16065 sectors/cylinder
    * 4461 cylinders
    * 4459 accessible cylinders
    *
    * Flags:
    * 1: unmountable
    * 10: read-only
    *
    * First Sector Last
    * Partition Tag Flags Sector Count Sector Mount Directory
    0 2 00 1076355 5124735 6201089 /
    1 7 00 6201090 1237005 7438094 /var
    2 5 00 0 71633835 71633834
    3 3 01 16065 1060290 1076354
    4 0 00 7438095 45062325 52500419 /u01
    5 0 00 52500420 3084480 55584899 /opt
    6 4 00 55584900 3084480 58669379 /usr/sfw
    7 8 00 58669380 12964455 71633834 /export/home
    8 1 01 0 16065 16064

    Actually, either s2 or s8 should work. But you have to specify the *raw*
    device, /dev/rdsk/c0t1d1s8.

    Additionally, since this is the x86 NG, are you *sure* that your boot
    drive is on controller #0? That is normally an IDE controller and the raw
    boot disk would be /dev/rdsk/c0d0s2.

  5. Re: Non booting on second hard drive

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:22:48 -0600, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > Additionally, since this is the x86 NG, are you *sure* that your boot
    > drive is on controller #0? That is normally an IDE controller and the raw
    > boot disk would be /dev/rdsk/c0d0s2.

    s/c0d0s2/c0d1s2/

  6. Re: Non booting on second hard drive

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:01:29 -0700, GreyCloud wrote:

    > This in an older IBM K6. The controller is on board and only has two
    > ports, so according to the readout, the controller is c0.
    > Why installboot reports that the rdsk is a non character device is a
    > mystery to me.

    Solaris does not specify the target number for IDE drives. The device to
    which you have to install the boot blocks is /dev/rdsk/c0d1s2.

    On my Solaris 9 x86 server:

    [/]# format
    Searching for disks...done

    AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
    0. c0d0
    /pci@0,0/pci-ide@4,1/ide@0/cmdk@0,0
    1. c0d1 disk2
    /pci@0,0/pci-ide@4,1/ide@0/cmdk@1,0
    2. c2t0d0
    /pci@0,0/pci9004,7881@a/sd@0,0
    Specify disk (enter its number):

    Drives 0 and 1 are IDE drives. They do not have a target number while the
    SCSI drive does have one.

+ Reply to Thread