Need adding New hardware on Solaris 10 x86 U1 procedures - Solaris

This is a discussion on Need adding New hardware on Solaris 10 x86 U1 procedures - Solaris ; I want to know what are the procedures to add new hardware to an existing machine with Solaris 10 x86 U1 (1/06). When I used Solaris 10 x86 (3/05), it still has DCA. I know that I need to interrupt ...

  1. Need adding New hardware on Solaris 10 x86 U1 procedures

    I want to know what are the procedures to add new hardware to an existing
    machine with Solaris 10 x86 U1 (1/06).

    When I used Solaris 10 x86 (3/05), it still has DCA. I know that I need
    to interrupt the booting process, and go into the hardware configuration
    list to make sure alll my hardware are recognized by the OS. Then I need
    to type "b -r" to reconfigure my system.

    What are the procedures fro using GRUB boot loader?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Need adding New hardware on Solaris 10 x86 U1 procedures

    "R. Chew" wrote:

    > I want to know what are the procedures to add new hardware to an existing
    > machine with Solaris 10 x86 U1 (1/06).
    >
    > When I used Solaris 10 x86 (3/05), it still has DCA. I know that I need
    > to interrupt the booting process, and go into the hardware configuration
    > list to make sure alll my hardware are recognized by the OS. Then I need
    > to type "b -r" to reconfigure my system.
    >
    > What are the procedures fro using GRUB boot loader?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi,

    I'm not running Solaris 10 X86, but have you tried doing a "touch
    /reconfigure", and then the reboot? I think that might work?

    Jim

  3. Re: Need adding New hardware on Solaris 10 x86 U1 procedures

    R. Chew wrote:
    > I want to know what are the procedures to add new hardware to an existing
    > machine with Solaris 10 x86 U1 (1/06).
    >
    > When I used Solaris 10 x86 (3/05), it still has DCA. I know that I need
    > to interrupt the booting process, and go into the hardware configuration
    > list to make sure alll my hardware are recognized by the OS. Then I need
    > to type "b -r" to reconfigure my system.
    >
    > What are the procedures fro using GRUB boot loader?

    Instead of pressing return at the right menu item, press "e". Then select
    the line "kernel .../multiboot" and hit "e" again. Append a " -r" to this
    line. Press return (finishing edit of this line). Then press "b".

    Simple, isn't it? For the task of adding boot parameters, the old interface
    was much better. At least the new GRUB bootloader should offer some sort
    of compatibility interface. With the current GRUB interface adding boot
    parameters is a PITA.

    --
    Daniel

  4. Re: Need adding New hardware on Solaris 10 x86 U1 procedures

    Hello Daniel,

    Thanks for your reply.

    I still have one more question in my mind. How about the DCA? Does it need
    to be used to recognize new hardware before the OS able to recognize it?

    Thnaks.

    > R. Chew wrote:
    >
    >> I want to know what are the procedures to add new hardware to an
    >> existing machine with Solaris 10 x86 U1 (1/06).
    >>
    >> When I used Solaris 10 x86 (3/05), it still has DCA. I know that I
    >> need to interrupt the booting process, and go into the hardware
    >> configuration list to make sure alll my hardware are recognized by
    >> the OS. Then I need to type "b -r" to reconfigure my system.
    >>
    >> What are the procedures fro using GRUB boot loader?
    >>

    > Instead of pressing return at the right menu item, press "e". Then
    > select the line "kernel .../multiboot" and hit "e" again. Append a "
    > -r" to this line. Press return (finishing edit of this line). Then
    > press "b".
    >
    > Simple, isn't it? For the task of adding boot parameters, the old
    > interface
    > was much better. At least the new GRUB bootloader should offer some
    > sort
    > of compatibility interface. With the current GRUB interface adding
    > boot
    > parameters is a PITA

  5. Re: Need adding New hardware on Solaris 10 x86 U1 procedures

    R. Chew wrote:
    > Hello Daniel,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > I still have one more question in my mind. How about the DCA? Does it need
    > to be used to recognize new hardware before the OS able to recognize it?

    With introduction of GRUB, DCA does no longer exist.

    --
    Daniel

  6. Re: Need adding New hardware on Solaris 10 x86 U1 procedures

    How does hardware to be recognized before the OS boot? Has it been
    done in GRUB?

+ Reply to Thread