Sol10 sendmail agravating... - Solaris

This is a discussion on Sol10 sendmail agravating... - Solaris ; This is sort of a reprise of a question asked earlier in c.u.s, but with more stuff going wrong. Sendmail burps: "My unqualified host name (/host/) unknown; sleeping for retry unable to qualify my own domain name (/host/) -- using ...

  1. Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    This is sort of a reprise of a question asked earlier in c.u.s, but with
    more stuff going wrong.

    Sendmail burps: "My unqualified host name (/host/) unknown; sleeping
    for retry unable to qualify my own domain name (/host/) -- using short
    name"

    The fix is to add the FQDN to /etc/hosts.

    No. Don't like that fix _one_ bit.

    /etc/hosts:
    A.B.C.D host host.domain loghost

    It stops local mail being delivered, with: "host.domain. config error:
    mail loops back to me (MX problem?)"

    The mail message gets bounced with:

    (reason: 553 5.3.5 system config error)

    553 5.3.5 host.domain. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)
    554 5.3.5 Local configuration error

    What have I _not_ done that needs to be done?

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  2. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    > Sendmail burps: "My unqualified host name (/host/) unknown; sleeping for
    > retry unable to qualify my own domain name (/host/) -- using short name"

    > The fix is to add the FQDN to /etc/hosts.
    >
    > No. Don't like that fix _one_ bit.
    >
    > /etc/hosts:
    > A.B.C.D host host.domain loghost

    127.0.0.1 localhost loghost
    A.B.C.D host.domain host

    For more information on this subject consult the 'hosts(4)' manualpage.
    Naturally its optional to define the localhost as loghost, but IMO its a more
    cleanly solution.

    --
    Groetjes, Peter

    ..\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

  3. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    Lion-O wrote:

    >>Sendmail burps: "My unqualified host name (/host/) unknown; sleeping for
    >>retry unable to qualify my own domain name (/host/) -- using short name"

    >>The fix is to add the FQDN to /etc/hosts.
    >>
    >>No. Don't like that fix _one_ bit.
    >>
    >>/etc/hosts:
    >> A.B.C.D host host.domain loghost

    > 127.0.0.1 localhost loghost
    > A.B.C.D host.domain host
    >
    > For more information on this subject consult the 'hosts(4)' manualpage.
    > Naturally its optional to define the localhost as loghost, but IMO its a more
    > cleanly solution.

    I'm sorry, but what do you think this has to do with the actual problem,
    which is that sendmail will _not_ deliver local mail when the FQDN is
    set in /etc/hosts.

    From my initial post:
    > It stops local mail being delivered, with: "host.domain. config error:
    > mail loops back to me (MX problem?)"

    Laying out the hosts file as you've suggested is pretty, but has sod all
    to do with the problem. (And yes, I did check, on the off chance.)

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  4. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    In article <439f2oF1mkmq4U1@individual.net>,
    Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    >It stops local mail being delivered, with: "host.domain. config error:
    >mail loops back to me (MX problem?)"

    Is host.domain in /etc/mail/local-host-names?

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  5. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    John D Groenveld wrote:

    > In article <439f2oF1mkmq4U1@individual.net>,
    > Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    >
    >>It stops local mail being delivered, with: "host.domain. config error:
    >>mail loops back to me (MX problem?)"

    > Is host.domain in /etc/mail/local-host-names?

    No, it wasn't.

    Added it, still get loop error.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  6. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    > John D Groenveld wrote:
    >> Is host.domain in /etc/mail/local-host-names?
    >>

    > No, it wasn't.
    >
    > Added it, still get loop error.

    did you restart or HUP'd sendmail after editing local-host-names?

  7. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:30:20 +1100, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:

    > This is sort of a reprise of a question asked earlier in c.u.s, but with
    > more stuff going wrong.
    >
    > Sendmail burps: "My unqualified host name (/host/) unknown; sleeping
    > for retry unable to qualify my own domain name (/host/) -- using short
    > name"
    >
    > The fix is to add the FQDN to /etc/hosts.
    >
    > No. Don't like that fix _one_ bit.
    >
    > /etc/hosts:
    > A.B.C.D host host.domain loghost

    Add it to /etc/inet/ipodes as well

    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

  8. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    Okay, it must be something to do with having someone to administer
    systems for me for the last five years, or else I'm getting senile...

    Added host.domain to /etc/hosts
    Added host.domain to /etc/mail/local-host-names
    Added host.domain to /etc/inet/ipnodes

    # pkill -1 sendmail # This was the bit I'd forgotten!!

    Local mail delivery now works!

    Thank you all.

    (Now, to work out what my next questions will be... Sneak preview -
    something about IMAP servers and, perhaps, replacements for same)

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  9. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    >>>/etc/hosts:
    >>> A.B.C.D host host.domain loghost

    >> 127.0.0.1 localhost loghost
    >> A.B.C.D host.domain host

    > I'm sorry, but what do you think this has to do with the actual problem,
    > which is that sendmail will _not_ deliver local mail when the FQDN is set in
    > /etc/hosts.

    The simple fact that your format example was wrong?

    From the hosts(4) manpage: "IP-address official-host-name nicknames..." where
    you used "IP-address nickname official-host-name".

    --
    Groetjes, Peter

    ..\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

  10. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    Lion-O wrote:

    >>>127.0.0.1 localhost loghost
    >>>A.B.C.D host.domain host

    >>I'm sorry, but what do you think this has to do with the actual problem,
    >>which is that sendmail will _not_ deliver local mail when the FQDN is set in
    >>/etc/hosts.

    > The simple fact that your format example was wrong?
    >
    > From the hosts(4) manpage: "IP-address official-host-name nicknames..." where
    > you used "IP-address nickname official-host-name".

    No, it doesn't, and never has, worked quite that way. There is nothing
    special about the position on the line of the FQDN. I remembered that
    much, at least.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  11. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:58:15 +1100, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:

    > Okay, it must be something to do with having someone to administer
    > systems for me for the last five years, or else I'm getting senile...

    Nah /etc/inet/ipnodes is more recent than that, and hopefully it will go
    away soon :-)

    > Added host.domain to /etc/hosts
    > Added host.domain to /etc/mail/local-host-names
    > Added host.domain to /etc/inet/ipnodes
    >
    > # pkill -1 sendmail # This was the bit I'd forgotten!!

    Sol10, learn to use svcadm restart :-)

    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

  12. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    Bruce Porter wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:58:15 +1100, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    >

    >>Okay, it must be something to do with having someone to administer
    >>systems for me for the last five years, or else I'm getting senile...
    >>

    > Nah /etc/inet/ipnodes is more recent than that, and hopefully it will go
    > away soon :-)
    >

    >>Added host.domain to /etc/hosts
    >>Added host.domain to /etc/mail/local-host-names
    >>Added host.domain to /etc/inet/ipnodes
    >>
    >># pkill -1 sendmail # This was the bit I'd forgotten!!
    >>

    > Sol10, learn to use svcadm restart :-)

    Alright, alright... Sometime this millennium I'll have a try and reading
    the svcadm man page. Or is it a book on docs.sun.com I should read? :-)

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  13. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    Lion-O wrote:

    > 127.0.0.1 localhost loghost
    > A.B.C.D host.domain host

    Hi all,

    Is placing loghost on the loopback interface's line legal and/or
    proper? In both hosts and ipnodes? I can't remember where I read
    it (and it's too early on a Sunday morning to take on the Solaris IP
    Administration tome... ;-) but I thought that loghost was intended
    to go on the line that's the machine's (non-loopback) IP address.
    Being able to put loghost on the loopback line's entry would help
    admin tasks for multiple machines that use only hosts and ipnodes.

    Thanks,
    Dave

  14. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 02:19:43 +1100, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:

    > Bruce Porter wrote:
    >> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:58:15 +1100, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    >>

    >>>Okay, it must be something to do with having someone to administer
    >>>systems for me for the last five years, or else I'm getting senile...
    >>>

    >> Nah /etc/inet/ipnodes is more recent than that, and hopefully it will go
    >> away soon :-)
    >>

    >>>Added host.domain to /etc/hosts
    >>>Added host.domain to /etc/mail/local-host-names
    >>>Added host.domain to /etc/inet/ipnodes
    >>>
    >>># pkill -1 sendmail # This was the bit I'd forgotten!!
    >>>

    >> Sol10, learn to use svcadm restart :-)
    >>

    > Alright, alright... Sometime this millennium I'll have a try and reading
    > the svcadm man page. Or is it a book on docs.sun.com I should read? :-)

    Start here

    http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/smf/

    Which leads here

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/...uickstart.html

    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

  15. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    >>>I'm sorry, but what do you think this has to do with the actual problem,
    >>>which is that sendmail will _not_ deliver local mail when the FQDN is set in
    >>>/etc/hosts.

    >> The simple fact that your format example was wrong?
    >>
    >> From the hosts(4) manpage: "IP-address official-host-name nicknames..." where
    >> you used "IP-address nickname official-host-name".
    >>

    > No, it doesn't, and never has, worked quite that way. There is nothing
    > special about the position on the line of the FQDN. I remembered that
    > much, at least.

    That heavily depends on what utilities you used.

    IMO this is like saying that certain code isn't wrong because gcc accepts it.
    Yes, it might but gcc is allowing itself some very wide standards as to what is
    acceptable and what is not. I guess you're one of those persons who'd blame cc
    for not compiling certain code. Oh well, guess we'll never agree on this,
    untill you finally pick up that non-compilable piece of code.

    --
    Groetjes, Peter

    ..\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

  16. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 02:21:06 +1100 "Gary R. Schmidt" wrote:

    >>>I'm sorry, but what do you think this has to do with the actual problem,
    >>>which is that sendmail will _not_ deliver local mail when the FQDN is set in
    >>>/etc/hosts.

    >> The simple fact that your format example was wrong?
    >> From the hosts(4) manpage: "IP-address official-host-name
    >> nicknames..." where
    >> you used "IP-address nickname official-host-name".
    >>

    > No, it doesn't, and never has, worked quite that way. There is
    > nothing special about the position on the line of the FQDN. I
    > remembered that much, at least.

    You remembered incorrectly.

    -frank

  17. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    Frank Cusack wrote:

    >>>The simple fact that your format example was wrong?
    >>>From the hosts(4) manpage: "IP-address official-host-name
    >>>nicknames..." where
    >>>you used "IP-address nickname official-host-name".
    >>>

    >>No, it doesn't, and never has, worked quite that way. There is
    >>nothing special about the position on the line of the FQDN. I
    >>remembered that much, at least.

    > You remembered incorrectly.

    Which variant(s) did it have meaning on?

    (Of course, it'll be the ones that I never used in an internet
    environment, so or _course_ I I won't have remembered them.)

    But I really would like to know.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  18. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    Lion-O wrote:
    [SNIP]
    >>No, it doesn't, and never has, worked quite that way. There is nothing
    >>special about the position on the line of the FQDN. I remembered that
    >>much, at least.

    > That heavily depends on what utilities you used.
    >
    > IMO this is like saying that certain code isn't wrong because gcc accepts it.
    > Yes, it might but gcc is allowing itself some very wide standards as to what is
    > acceptable and what is not. I guess you're one of those persons who'd blame cc
    > for not compiling certain code. Oh well, guess we'll never agree on this,
    > untill you finally pick up that non-compilable piece of code.

    This is drawing a very long bow, indeed.

    Rather than introducing an analogy ("gcc accepts non-portable code") at
    the start, you should list some of the utilities which fail(ed) when
    confronted with a non-ordered line in /etc/hosts. Then you introduce
    the analogy.

    As I can't recall coming across one in the last 20-odd years, possibly
    because most of the systems were _not_ on the internet, and therefore
    did not have FQDNs, I may simply have slid past the requirement without
    noticing it.

    So, what utilities on what variant(s) had this requirement?

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  19. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    Bruce Porter wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:58:15 +1100, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:

    >> # pkill -1 sendmail # This was the bit I'd forgotten!!
    >>

    > Sol10, learn to use svcadm restart :-)

    the old "/etc/init.d/sendmail start|stop|restart" still works
    (it calls svcadm)

  20. Re: Sol10 sendmail agravating...

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:38:14 -0500, Oscar del Rio wrote:

    > Bruce Porter wrote:
    >> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:58:15 +1100, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:

    >>> # pkill -1 sendmail # This was the bit I'd forgotten!!
    >>>

    >> Sol10, learn to use svcadm restart :-)

    > the old "/etc/init.d/sendmail start|stop|restart" still works
    > (it calls svcadm)

    Thats not learning though

    And it will change in the future

    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread