Phobos P430 Quad Ethernet and 64bit Solaris 10 U1 - Solaris

This is a discussion on Phobos P430 Quad Ethernet and 64bit Solaris 10 U1 - Solaris ; Hi, I have a quad fast ethernet card, made be Phobos (owned by Sonicwall now), and I am trying to get it to work with an AMD64x2 based system, running Solaris 10 update 1. The card works fine in Solaris ...

  1. Phobos P430 Quad Ethernet and 64bit Solaris 10 U1

    Hi,

    I have a quad fast ethernet card, made be Phobos (owned by Sonicwall
    now), and I am trying to get it to work with an AMD64x2 based system,
    running Solaris 10 update 1. The card works fine in Solaris 10 Sparc,
    using the P430 drivers (64bit sparc), as "pqfe" ports. On a 32bit PC,
    running Solaris 10, the card shows as a "dnet" card, and works without
    drivers.

    When I put the card into a 64bit version of Solaris 10 x86, I don't
    even see the card. I was able to get a tulip driver to see the card
    on the system, but was unable to actually use the ports (they would
    plumb and take an IP address, but would not pass traffic in or out).

    Does anyone have any tricks on getting this card to work? Thanks in
    advance.

    Pete

  2. Re: Phobos P430 Quad Ethernet and 64bit Solaris 10 U1

    Peter Durst wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a quad fast ethernet card, made be Phobos (owned by Sonicwall
    > now), and I am trying to get it to work with an AMD64x2 based system,
    > running Solaris 10 update 1. The card works fine in Solaris 10 Sparc,
    > using the P430 drivers (64bit sparc), as "pqfe" ports. On a 32bit PC,
    > running Solaris 10, the card shows as a "dnet" card, and works without
    > drivers.
    >
    > When I put the card into a 64bit version of Solaris 10 x86, I don't
    > even see the card. I was able to get a tulip driver to see the card
    > on the system, but was unable to actually use the ports (they would
    > plumb and take an IP address, but would not pass traffic in or out).
    >
    > Does anyone have any tricks on getting this card to work? Thanks in
    > advance.
    >
    > Pete

    Does /usr/X11/bin/scanpci see the card ?
    if you run scanpci on the 32 bit environment what does it say
    there ?
    if scanpci does see the board in the 64 bit environment
    it could be a problem with populating the /etc/driver_aliases file.

    Steal the entries for "dnet" in /etc/driver_aliases from the 32
    bit env, and
    paste them into the 64 bit env's /etc/driver_aliases

    do a reconfiguration boot.

    do you have /dev/dnet now ?

    is dnet in /etc/path_to_inst now ?

    I had a problem with a while ago with Muriyama's GANI driver .
    It required the FULL FQDN hostname in

    /etc/hostname.gani0

    to start the interface properly. Is that you problem with the
    "tulip" driver ?

    //Lars

  3. Re: Phobos P430 Quad Ethernet and 64bit Solaris 10 U1

    Hi Lars,

    Sorry for the long delay in answering this. I have been on a very
    long road trip and haven't had time to fully test things. I was near
    the machine for a day or so and in testing the card again, the tu
    driver was picking it up and it was doing it's thing. I thought the
    system was still not using the card right though, because no traffic
    could go through it. I transferred the card to a linux machine, and
    it also had problems with the card, similar in all regards. I now
    think the card is toast.

    Thanks for the help.

    Pete

    On 15 Jan 2006 07:08:13 -0800, "tunla"
    wrote:

    >Peter Durst wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a quad fast ethernet card, made be Phobos (owned by Sonicwall
    >> now), and I am trying to get it to work with an AMD64x2 based system,
    >> running Solaris 10 update 1. The card works fine in Solaris 10 Sparc,
    >> using the P430 drivers (64bit sparc), as "pqfe" ports. On a 32bit PC,
    >> running Solaris 10, the card shows as a "dnet" card, and works without
    >> drivers.
    >>
    >> When I put the card into a 64bit version of Solaris 10 x86, I don't
    >> even see the card. I was able to get a tulip driver to see the card
    >> on the system, but was unable to actually use the ports (they would
    >> plumb and take an IP address, but would not pass traffic in or out).
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any tricks on getting this card to work? Thanks in
    >> advance.
    >>
    >> Pete

    >Does /usr/X11/bin/scanpci see the card ?
    > if you run scanpci on the 32 bit environment what does it say
    >there ?
    >if scanpci does see the board in the 64 bit environment
    >it could be a problem with populating the /etc/driver_aliases file.
    >
    >Steal the entries for "dnet" in /etc/driver_aliases from the 32
    >bit env, and
    >paste them into the 64 bit env's /etc/driver_aliases
    >
    >do a reconfiguration boot.
    >
    > do you have /dev/dnet now ?
    >
    > is dnet in /etc/path_to_inst now ?
    >
    >I had a problem with a while ago with Muriyama's GANI driver .
    >It required the FULL FQDN hostname in
    >
    >/etc/hostname.gani0
    >
    >to start the interface properly. Is that you problem with the
    >"tulip" driver ?
    >
    >//Lars

+ Reply to Thread