Which x64 motherboard to get? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Which x64 motherboard to get? - Solaris ; I know, "look at the HCL..." Well, it's not much help, the only 64-bit mbs I can identify appear to be being run in 32-bit mode, so they are no help. I am considering two MSI mbs, the RS482M4 or ...

  1. Which x64 motherboard to get?

    I know, "look at the HCL..."

    Well, it's not much help, the only 64-bit mbs I can identify appear to
    be being run in 32-bit mode, so they are no help.

    I am considering two MSI mbs, the RS482M4

    or the K8N Neo4-F

    The RS is an all-in-one, I'm not fussed about the shared video, I can
    disable that and drop in an Nvidia card, and the Realtek 8100c _appears_
    to be supported out of the box, or perhaps using their drivers. Of
    course, I can disable that and drop in a card, too.

    The K8N (which I am leaning towards, mainly because in's an ATX rather
    than Micro-ATX) will come with an Nvidia 6200 PCI-E video, I presume
    that I will be able to get that working with the Nvidia drivers, but I'm
    confused about the networking. It seems to have a "Marvell 88E1111 PHY"
    device, which is on the Marvell site as an "Alaska" device. Of course,
    they only support "Yukon" devices in 32-bit mode, so _if_ the SysKonnect
    drivers work, I can use that for 64-bit. How to tell?

    For that matter, if I take a NIC that was recognised out of the box in
    my old Duron system (some sort of Realtek) will _that_ be recognised
    when I install on the 64-bit system?

    Or do I have to find a NIC that is explicitly supported for 64-bit mode?

    More generally - does out-of-the-box 32-bit support _guarantee_ ootb
    64-bit support?

    And is there a list somewhere of supported devices? Other than the HCL,
    I mean.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  2. Re: Which x64 motherboard to get?

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:

    > I know, "look at the HCL..."
    >
    > Well, it's not much help, the only 64-bit mbs I can identify appear to be
    > being run in 32-bit mode, so they are no help.

    Check out the Tyan series. The I forget the exact model number, but one
    of them is used by Sun in the Ultra 20 (so you KNOW it'll work!).

    HTH,

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  3. Re: Which x64 motherboard to get?

    Rich Teer wrote:

    > On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    >

    >>I know, "look at the HCL..."
    >>
    >>Well, it's not much help, the only 64-bit mbs I can identify appear to be
    >>being run in 32-bit mode, so they are no help.

    > Check out the Tyan series. The I forget the exact model number, but one
    > of them is used by Sun in the Ultra 20 (so you KNOW it'll work!).

    Thanks Rich, I'll go have a gander. Of course, the odds are that
    whatever it is isn't available in Oz.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  4. Re: Which x64 motherboard to get?

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    >

    >>I know, "look at the HCL..."
    >>
    >>Well, it's not much help, the only 64-bit mbs I can identify appear to be
    >>being run in 32-bit mode, so they are no help.

    > Check out the Tyan series. The I forget the exact model number, but one
    > of them is used by Sun in the Ultra 20 (so you KNOW it'll work!).
    >
    > HTH,

    It is quite possible that Sun would have had their own BIOS or mods to
    the board, so it might not be *exactly* the same as what Sun install in
    an Ultra 20.

    Unless you know for sure that that is not the case of course.

    --
    Dave K

  5. Re: Which x64 motherboard to get?

    Dave wrote:
    > Rich Teer wrote:
    >> Check out the Tyan series. The I forget the exact model number, but one
    >> of them is used by Sun in the Ultra 20 (so you KNOW it'll work!).
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >>

    > It is quite possible that Sun would have had their own BIOS or mods to
    > the board, so it might not be *exactly* the same as what Sun install in
    > an Ultra 20.

    If you buy the Tyan board directly (S2865) you will get more than the Ultra 20
    has to offer:
    - 2 network interfaces (1xbge, 1xnge) instead of one
    - PS/2 keyboard/mouse port
    - serial port
    - parallel port

    I'm running this board with Solaris 10 with no problems. Machine has been
    rock solid so far. You shouldn't use the FireWire interface though. Attaching
    a disk drive to it panics the machine (but a fix is underway and already
    integrated in Solaris Express/OpenSolaris).

    I'm just missing some monitoring features (not limited to this board, but a
    general limitation of Solaris x86/amd64):
    - Reading S.M.A.R.T. data from the disk drives
    - accessing sensors (temperature, voltage, fan speed, etc.)

    BIOS and system redirection to the first serial port work reasonable well.
    My machine is used as a small personal server with no keyboard/mouse/monitor
    attached. If you want to build a workstation with this board, you should
    consider upgrading to a real graphics card. The onboard ATI is just good
    enough for the most primitive graphics tasks.

    --
    Daniel

  6. Re: Which x64 motherboard to get?

    [SNIP]
    Rich, Dave (K), Daniel,...

    Curse you all! It was all so simple, I would just go and get the box
    that was least disparaged, but now...

    The Tyan S2865 is not overly common here in Oz, so I would have to put
    the system together from components. Nah.

    So, as it was an Ultra 20, I thought I'd go see how much Sun would be
    gouging for one here in oz, and was actually (pleasantly) surprised.
    They only want 1225 Pacific Pesos for the base model, and given that the
    US cost is USD895 and the Pacific Peso runs about USD0.75, that's not
    too bad.

    Of course, it's a base system, - A63-LWZ1-AE-512-DR Sun Ultra 20
    Workstation, 1 AMD Opteron 144 Processor, ATI Entry 2D Graphics, 512 MB
    Non-ECC PC3200 DDR-400 (2 * 256 MB DIMM) Memory, 80 GB 7200 RPM SATA
    Hard Disk, 1 * DVD-ROM, 1 * 10/100/1000 BaseT Ethernet port, 6 * USB 2.0
    ports, 2 * IEEE1394a ports, 1 * PCI Express x16 slot, 2 * PCI Express x1
    slots, 4 * Conventional PCI slots, Solaris 10, Sun Studio, Sun Java
    Studio Creator, Sun Java Studio Enterprise Pre-Installed, 3 Year
    Warranty, RoHS Compliant

    as agianst the K8N (for $798) - AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    Motherboard MSI K8N Neo4-F
    Memory 1G
    Hard Drive 200GB Ultra ATA/100
    Optical Drive DVD-Dual
    Audio Integrated
    Video Graphics 256M Nvidia 6200 PCI-E

    Bah! Why can't we just use abaci?!?!?!?!?!

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  7. Re: Which x64 motherboard to get?

    Daniel Rock wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >>Rich Teer wrote:
    >>
    >>>Check out the Tyan series. The I forget the exact model number, but one
    >>>of them is used by Sun in the Ultra 20 (so you KNOW it'll work!).
    >>>
    >>>HTH,
    >>>

    >>It is quite possible that Sun would have had their own BIOS or mods to
    >>the board, so it might not be *exactly* the same as what Sun install in
    >>an Ultra 20.

    > If you buy the Tyan board directly (S2865) you will get more than the Ultra 20
    > has to offer:
    > - 2 network interfaces (1xbge, 1xnge) instead of one
    > - PS/2 keyboard/mouse port
    > - serial port
    > - parallel port
    >
    > I'm running this board with Solaris 10 with no problems. Machine has been
    > rock solid so far. You shouldn't use the FireWire interface though. Attaching
    > a disk drive to it panics the machine (but a fix is underway and already
    > integrated in Solaris Express/OpenSolaris).

    my asus something...se-delux panics when FW disk is online during boot.
    if i have it powered down during boot, then stop vold (
    /etc/init.d/volmgt stop )
    then power up FW disk it is ok. (manually mounted)
    /Jörgen

    > I'm just missing some monitoring features (not limited to this board, but a
    > general limitation of Solaris x86/amd64):
    > - Reading S.M.A.R.T. data from the disk drives
    > - accessing sensors (temperature, voltage, fan speed, etc.)
    >
    > BIOS and system redirection to the first serial port work reasonable well.
    > My machine is used as a small personal server with no keyboard/mouse/monitor
    > attached. If you want to build a workstation with this board, you should
    > consider upgrading to a real graphics card. The onboard ATI is just good
    > enough for the most primitive graphics tasks.

+ Reply to Thread