    occurring (unfortunately) and those generated with gcore. gdb load's
    fine, the libraries load but the stack trace is always empty:

    Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libmd5.so.1
    #0 0x00000000 in ?? ()
    (gdb)

    The odd thing is, if I run the webserver inside gdb or attach gdb to a
    running instance it works as it should - stack is viewable, source is
    viewable, etc.

    I'd appreciate any advice - I've been working on this for the last
    couple of days and I'm out of ideas.

    Thanks,
    Adriano

  2. Re: unreadable core file

    Adriano wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My company's recently upgraded their architecture from old Sun machines
    > to AMD64's running Solaris. We run a custom webserver written in c/c++
    > complied with GNU's gcc.
    >
    > Since the upgrade I've been unable to debug core files - both naturally
    > occurring (unfortunately) and those generated with gcore. gdb load's
    > fine, the libraries load but the stack trace is always empty:

    > Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libmd5.so.1
    > #0 0x00000000 in ?? ()
    > (gdb)
    >
    > The odd thing is, if I run the webserver inside gdb or attach gdb to a
    > running instance it works as it should - stack is viewable, source is
    > viewable, etc.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any advice - I've been working on this for the last
    > couple of days and I'm out of ideas.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Adriano

    I guess you are running Solaris 10.

    which version and build of gdb are you using (companion-cd, blastwave,
    sunfreeware, self-compiled)? What about mdb? Can mdb read the corefiles?

    Most probably your gdb is too old. Did you consider using Sun Studio
    11's dbx, which is free of charge nowadays?

    Tom

  3. Re: unreadable core file

    Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    > Adriano wrote:

    [deletia]

    >>I'd appreciate any advice - I've been working on this for the last
    >>couple of days and I'm out of ideas.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Adriano
    >>

    > I guess you are running Solaris 10.
    >
    > which version and build of gdb are you using (companion-cd, blastwave,
    > sunfreeware, self-compiled)? What about mdb? Can mdb read the corefiles?
    >
    > Most probably your gdb is too old. Did you consider using Sun Studio
    > 11's dbx, which is free of charge nowadays?

    Don't forget about gcc/g++. I've had problems getting the
    as-shipped version of gcc and gdb (S10 FCS, no patches) to play well
    together. Switching to gcc3 from blastwave seems to have resolved
    the issues I had.

    Good luck,
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread