Permission denied mounting nfs share - Solaris

This is a discussion on Permission denied mounting nfs share - Solaris ; I have an NFS share defined on a Solaris 10 box. Here is the entry in /etc/dfs/dfstab: share -d "My share" -o rw=192.168.2.1 /export/home I set the owner of the folder /export/home to 'nobody' and was able to mount the ...

  1. Permission denied mounting nfs share

    I have an NFS share defined on a Solaris 10 box. Here is the entry in
    /etc/dfs/dfstab:

    share -d "My share" -o rw=192.168.2.1 /export/home

    I set the owner of the folder /export/home to 'nobody' and was able to
    mount the share from a Linux computer. Then I moved the Solaris server
    from an IP address of 192.168.0.22 to 192.168.2.4 and now when I try to
    mount the share, I get the following error from the Linux server:

    #mount: 192.168.2.4:/export/home failed, reason given by server:
    Permission denied

    Any thoughts?

  2. Re: Permission denied mounting nfs share

    Fugtruck wrote:

    > I have an NFS share defined on a Solaris 10 box. Here is the entry in
    > /etc/dfs/dfstab:
    >
    > share -d "My share" -o rw=192.168.2.1 /export/home
    >
    > I set the owner of the folder /export/home to 'nobody' and was able to
    > mount the share from a Linux computer. Then I moved the Solaris server
    > from an IP address of 192.168.0.22 to 192.168.2.4 and now when I try to
    > mount the share, I get the following error from the Linux server:
    >
    > #mount: 192.168.2.4:/export/home failed, reason given by server:
    > Permission denied
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Did the IP address of the Linux box change, too?

    You're not trying to mount it as root, are you?

  3. Re: Permission denied mounting nfs share

    CJT wrote:
    > Fugtruck wrote:
    >
    >> I have an NFS share defined on a Solaris 10 box. Here is the entry in
    >> /etc/dfs/dfstab:
    >>
    >> share -d "My share" -o rw=192.168.2.1 /export/home
    >>
    >> I set the owner of the folder /export/home to 'nobody' and was able to
    >> mount the share from a Linux computer. Then I moved the Solaris
    >> server from an IP address of 192.168.0.22 to 192.168.2.4 and now when
    >> I try to mount the share, I get the following error from the Linux
    >> server:
    >>
    >> #mount: 192.168.2.4:/export/home failed, reason given by server:
    >> Permission denied
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?

    > Did the IP address of the Linux box change, too?
    >
    > You're not trying to mount it as root, are you?

    The IP address of the Linux box did not change. As for mounting as
    root, I was logged in as root when I tried to mount the share.

  4. Re: Permission denied mounting nfs share

    Fugtruck wrote:
    > I have an NFS share defined on a Solaris 10 box. Here is the entry in
    > /etc/dfs/dfstab:
    >
    > share -d "My share" -o rw=192.168.2.1 /export/home
    >
    > I set the owner of the folder /export/home to 'nobody' and was able to
    > mount the share from a Linux computer. Then I moved the Solaris server
    > from an IP address of 192.168.0.22 to 192.168.2.4 and now when I try to
    > mount the share, I get the following error from the Linux server:
    >
    > #mount: 192.168.2.4:/export/home failed, reason given by server:
    > Permission denied

    It gives the feeling that the /export/home aren't exported, even if the nfs
    server has been started on the solaris box, you could run 'showmount -e
    192.168.2.4' to see what is exported and under what names.

    //Aho

  5. Re: Permission denied mounting nfs share

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Fugtruck wrote:
    >
    >>I have an NFS share defined on a Solaris 10 box. Here is the entry in
    >>/etc/dfs/dfstab:
    >>
    >>share -d "My share" -o rw=192.168.2.1 /export/home
    >>
    >>I set the owner of the folder /export/home to 'nobody' and was able to
    >>mount the share from a Linux computer. Then I moved the Solaris server
    >>from an IP address of 192.168.0.22 to 192.168.2.4 and now when I try to
    >>mount the share, I get the following error from the Linux server:
    >>
    >>#mount: 192.168.2.4:/export/home failed, reason given by server:
    >>Permission denied

    > It gives the feeling that the /export/home aren't exported, even if the nfs
    > server has been started on the solaris box, you could run 'showmount -e
    > 192.168.2.4' to see what is exported and under what names.
    >

    > //Aho

    # showmount -e 192.168.2.4
    export list for 192.168.2.4:
    /export/home 192.168.2.1
    #

  6. Re: Permission denied mounting nfs share

    Fugtruck wrote:
    > J.O. Aho wrote:
    >> Fugtruck wrote:

    >>> #mount: 192.168.2.4:/export/home failed, reason given by server:
    >>> Permission denied

    >> It gives the feeling that the /export/home aren't exported, even if
    >> the nfs
    >> server has been started on the solaris box, you could run 'showmount -e
    >> 192.168.2.4' to see what is exported and under what names.

    > # showmount -e 192.168.2.4
    > export list for 192.168.2.4:
    > /export/home 192.168.2.1

    What about your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny on the solaris box (don't
    remember if they used those or not).

    You don't have two lines in /etc/dfs/dfstab which the other line is exporting
    a subdirectory to /export/home ? (if you have, remove that with the subdirectory)

    Do you still have the /export/home directory? (don't forget to mount the bind
    before you export).

    //Aho

  7. Re: Permission denied mounting nfs share

    Fugtruck wrote:

    > CJT wrote:
    >
    >> Fugtruck wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have an NFS share defined on a Solaris 10 box. Here is the entry
    >>> in /etc/dfs/dfstab:
    >>>
    >>> share -d "My share" -o rw=192.168.2.1 /export/home
    >>>
    >>> I set the owner of the folder /export/home to 'nobody' and was able
    >>> to mount the share from a Linux computer. Then I moved the Solaris
    >>> server from an IP address of 192.168.0.22 to 192.168.2.4 and now when
    >>> I try to mount the share, I get the following error from the Linux
    >>> server:
    >>>
    >>> #mount: 192.168.2.4:/export/home failed, reason given by server:
    >>> Permission denied
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts?

    >> Did the IP address of the Linux box change, too?
    >>
    >> You're not trying to mount it as root, are you?
    >>

    > The IP address of the Linux box did not change. As for mounting as
    > root, I was logged in as root when I tried to mount the share.

    Well, that's your problem. You need to explicitly allow that -- rw
    isn't enough. Change "rw" to "root" in your share and try that. Then
    read up on why it's needed.

  8. Re: Permission denied mounting nfs share

    J.O. Aho wrote:

    >>>It gives the feeling that the /export/home aren't exported, even if
    >>>the nfs
    >>>server has been started on the solaris box, you could run 'showmount -e
    >>>192.168.2.4' to see what is exported and under what names.

    >># showmount -e 192.168.2.4
    >>export list for 192.168.2.4:
    >>/export/home 192.168.2.1

    > What about your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny on the solaris box (don't
    > remember if they used those or not).
    >
    > You don't have two lines in /etc/dfs/dfstab which the other line is exporting
    > a subdirectory to /export/home ? (if you have, remove that with the subdirectory)
    >
    > Do you still have the /export/home directory? (don't forget to mount the bind
    > before you export).
    >

    > //Aho

    There are no /etc/hosts.allow or /etc/hosts.deny files. The single
    share command is the only entry in /etc/dfs/dfstab file. I am not sure
    what you mean by mount the bind before export.

  9. Re: Permission denied mounting nfs share

    Fugtruck wrote:
    > J.O. Aho wrote:

    >> Do you still have the /export/home directory? (don't forget to mount
    >> the bind
    >> before you export).

    > what you mean by mount the bind before export.

    /export/home isn't a default directory on the solaris filethree, so populating
    the directory somehow is required, and one way is to make a bind mount
    (example with /etc/fstab entry)

    /home /export/home none bind 0 0

    What about trying with

    share -F nfs -o rw=192.168.2.1 /export/home

    You are trying to mount it as a rw on the linux box too?

    //Aho

  10. Re: Permission denied mounting nfs share

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    > In article <72cxf.21$F_3.11@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net>,
    > Fugtruck writes:
    >
    >>I have an NFS share defined on a Solaris 10 box. Here is the entry in
    >>/etc/dfs/dfstab:
    >>
    >>share -d "My share" -o rw=192.168.2.1 /export/home

    > That rw= argument must be in exactly the form the remote system
    > knows you. Unless you have no name resolving, it won't be the IP
    > address.
    >
    > login to 192.168.2.4 from 192.168.2.1, issue the command
    > who am i
    > and use exactly the hostname that gives you (I think even
    > the case has to be correct).

    Huh? That doesn't sound right to me.

  11. Re: Permission denied mounting nfs share

    Fugtruck wrote:
    > I have an NFS share defined on a Solaris 10 box. Here is the entry in
    > /etc/dfs/dfstab:
    >
    > share -d "My share" -o rw=192.168.2.1 /export/home
    >
    > I set the owner of the folder /export/home to 'nobody' and was able to
    > mount the share from a Linux computer. Then I moved the Solaris server
    > from an IP address of 192.168.0.22 to 192.168.2.4 and now when I try to
    > mount the share, I get the following error from the Linux server:
    >
    > #mount: 192.168.2.4:/export/home failed, reason given by server:
    > Permission denied
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    take a look at the syslog of the server by executing dmesg (deprecated
    command) or looking at /var/adm/messages. There will be a syslog message
    which will tell you the reason, why the server denied mounting of the
    nfs share.

    HTH,
    Tom

  12. Re: Permission denied mounting nfs share

    That worked. I got the exact hostname and used it rather than the IP
    address of the client. I am able to mount the share just fine.

    Thank you to everyone who replied to my post!

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article <72cxf.21$F_3.11@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net>,
    > Fugtruck writes:
    >
    >>I have an NFS share defined on a Solaris 10 box. Here is the entry in
    >>/etc/dfs/dfstab:
    >>
    >>share -d "My share" -o rw=192.168.2.1 /export/home

    > That rw= argument must be in exactly the form the remote system
    > knows you. Unless you have no name resolving, it won't be the IP
    > address.
    >
    > login to 192.168.2.4 from 192.168.2.1, issue the command
    > who am i
    > and use exactly the hostname that gives you (I think even
    > the case has to be correct).

  13. Re: Permission denied mounting nfs share

    CJT wrote:
    > Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >
    >> In article <72cxf.21$F_3.11@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net>,
    >> Fugtruck writes:
    >>
    >>>I have an NFS share defined on a Solaris 10 box. Here is the entry in
    >>>/etc/dfs/dfstab:
    >>>
    >>>share -d "My share" -o rw=192.168.2.1 /export/home

    >> That rw= argument must be in exactly the form the remote system
    >> knows you. Unless you have no name resolving, it won't be the IP
    >> address.
    >>
    >> login to 192.168.2.4 from 192.168.2.1, issue the command
    >> who am i
    >> and use exactly the hostname that gives you (I think even
    >> the case has to be correct).
    >>

    > Huh? That doesn't sound right to me.

    I had to do this too- use FDQNs instead of IPs. Apparently the solaris NFS services are primitive
    and don't understand an IP address.

  14. Re: Permission denied mounting nfs share

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > CJT wrote:
    >
    >>Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    >>>That rw= argument must be in exactly the form the remote system
    >>>knows you. Unless you have no name resolving, it won't be the IP
    >>>address.
    >>>
    >>>login to 192.168.2.4 from 192.168.2.1, issue the command
    >>>who am i
    >>>and use exactly the hostname that gives you (I think even
    >>>the case has to be correct).
    >>>

    >>Huh? That doesn't sound right to me.
    >>

    > I had to do this too- use FDQNs instead of IPs. Apparently the solaris NFS services are primitive
    > and don't understand an IP address.

    Specifying IPs works fine here.

  15. Re: Permission denied mounting nfs share

    CJT wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> CJT wrote:

    >>>Huh? That doesn't sound right to me.
    >>>

    >> I had to do this too- use FDQNs instead of IPs. Apparently the solaris NFS services are primitive
    >> and don't understand an IP address.

    > Specifying IPs works fine here.

    Doesn't work here or for the other person.

  16. Re: Permission denied mounting nfs share

    In article ,
    Cydrome Leader writes:
    > CJT wrote:
    >> Cydrome Leader wrote:

    >>> I had to do this too- use FDQNs instead of IPs. Apparently the solaris NFS services are primitive
    >>> and don't understand an IP address.

    >> Specifying IPs works fine here.

    > Doesn't work here or for the other person.

    It will depend on local circumstances. If the system can't reverse
    translate the IP address, then the IP address is the only thing that
    will work. If the system can reverse translate the IP address, then
    the resulting name is the only thing that will work.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel

  17. Re: Permission denied mounting nfs share

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Cydrome Leader writes:
    >> CJT wrote:

    >>> Specifying IPs works fine here.

    >> Doesn't work here or for the other person.

    > It will depend on local circumstances. If the system can't reverse
    > translate the IP address, then the IP address is the only thing that
    > will work. If the system can reverse translate the IP address, then
    > the resulting name is the only thing that will work.

    That's incredible stupid behavior, but makes sense sense as to why the
    behavior is not consistent. My hosts and IPs lookup correctly.

    I suggest sun disable the ability for ping and traceroute to function with
    IP addresses as arguments if the hosts resolve forwards and backwards
    correctly.

    How do I file a bug report?

  18. Re: Permission denied mounting nfs share

    Cydrome Leader wrote:

    > Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >
    >>In article ,
    >> Cydrome Leader writes:

    >>>Doesn't work here or for the other person.

    >>It will depend on local circumstances. If the system can't reverse
    >>translate the IP address, then the IP address is the only thing that
    >>will work. If the system can reverse translate the IP address, then
    >>the resulting name is the only thing that will work.

    > That's incredible stupid behavior, but makes sense sense as to why the
    > behavior is not consistent. My hosts and IPs lookup correctly.
    >
    > I suggest sun disable the ability for ping and traceroute to function with
    > IP addresses as arguments if the hosts resolve forwards and backwards
    > correctly.
    >
    > How do I file a bug report?

    Mine resolve fine, too, and the IP specification works, so I don't
    think that's the answer.