iprb0 is broken - Solaris

This is a discussion on iprb0 is broken - Solaris ; I've just upgraded a perfectly working Solaris 10GA x86 box to Nevada build 28. It has an Intel Pro/100 card which I've used with Solaris 8, 9 and 10 without any problems at all. Now,iprb0 shows up in ifconfig -a, ...

  1. iprb0 is broken

    I've just upgraded a perfectly working Solaris 10GA x86 box to Nevada build
    28. It has an Intel Pro/100 card which I've used with Solaris 8, 9 and 10
    without any problems at all.

    Now,iprb0 shows up in ifconfig -a, networking is all configured correctly,
    but the machine can't see anything else on the network. It can ping its own
    address (192.168.1.4) but nothing else. It can't get a DHCP address either.

    This *isn't* a routing/netmask/cabling issue, I'm sure.

    The box dual boots windows, and the card works perfectly in that, with
    identical network setup. If I boot from a Sol 10GA CD and configure the
    network by hand, it works again. Only the Nevada build can't network,
    whether booting from CD or disk.

    Any suggestions? (Other than restoring 10GA!)

  2. Re: iprb0 is broken

    rdf writes:

    > I've just upgraded a perfectly working Solaris 10GA x86 box to Nevada build
    > 28. It has an Intel Pro/100 card which I've used with Solaris 8, 9 and 10
    > without any problems at all.
    >
    > Now,iprb0 shows up in ifconfig -a, networking is all configured correctly,
    > but the machine can't see anything else on the network. It can ping its own
    > address (192.168.1.4) but nothing else. It can't get a DHCP address either.
    >
    > This *isn't* a routing/netmask/cabling issue, I'm sure.
    >
    > The box dual boots windows, and the card works perfectly in that, with
    > identical network setup. If I boot from a Sol 10GA CD and configure the
    > network by hand, it works again. Only the Nevada build can't network,
    > whether booting from CD or disk.
    >
    > Any suggestions? (Other than restoring 10GA!)

    My WAG is, that this is an interrupt routing issue. The iprb device
    driver doesn't "see" interrupts from the nic hardware, so it never
    receives incomming packets.

    Try to boot with ACPI partially or fully disabled. Boot the solaris
    kernel with option "-B ...,acpi-user-options=8" or "-B
    ....,acpi-user-options=2". See:

    When ACPI is disabled, make sure that the BIOS is configured to
    "Plug&Play OS" = "DISABLED" (BIOS must assign and configure resources
    for all PCI devices).

  3. Re: iprb0 is broken

    rdf writes:

    >I've just upgraded a perfectly working Solaris 10GA x86 box to Nevada build
    >28. It has an Intel Pro/100 card which I've used with Solaris 8, 9 and 10
    >without any problems at all.

    >Now,iprb0 shows up in ifconfig -a, networking is all configured correctly,
    >but the machine can't see anything else on the network. It can ping its own
    >address (192.168.1.4) but nothing else. It can't get a DHCP address either.

    >This *isn't* a routing/netmask/cabling issue, I'm sure.

    >The box dual boots windows, and the card works perfectly in that, with
    >identical network setup. If I boot from a Sol 10GA CD and configure the
    >network by hand, it works again. Only the Nevada build can't network,
    >whether booting from CD or disk.

    There's nothing that jumps out, except perhaps try:

    eeprom acpi-user-options=0x8
    and then if that fails:
    eeprom acpi-user-options=0x2

    (the default is 0).

    You may also want to look into the BIOS for a "configure all
    devices" option.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  4. Re: iprb0 is broken

    > acpi-user-options=0x2

    Thanks Casper (and Juergen). This sorted things out, and I'd never have made
    the connection on my own. (My laptop also uses iprb, and works perfectly,
    which confused me further.)

    Are there issues with ACPI in Solaris? I ask because the only other problem
    I've had recently (which you two both answered!) also involved ACPI, and
    was fixed by changing the user-options.

    (See
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...6552c309faa3ef)

    Finally, should I report this somewhere as a bug?

    thanks again

    Rob

  5. Re: iprb0 is broken

    In article <43c4e51e$0$82647$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,
    rdf wrote:

    > I've just upgraded a perfectly working Solaris 10GA x86 box to Nevada build
    > 28. It has an Intel Pro/100 card which I've used with Solaris 8, 9 and 10
    > without any problems at all.
    >
    > Now,iprb0 shows up in ifconfig -a, networking is all configured correctly,
    > but the machine can't see anything else on the network. It can ping its own
    > address (192.168.1.4) but nothing else. It can't get a DHCP address either.
    >
    > This *isn't* a routing/netmask/cabling issue, I'm sure.
    >
    > The box dual boots windows, and the card works perfectly in that, with
    > identical network setup. If I boot from a Sol 10GA CD and configure the
    > network by hand, it works again. Only the Nevada build can't network,
    > whether booting from CD or disk.
    >
    > Any suggestions? (Other than restoring 10GA!)

    downgrade to a version of Solaris that works from your last backup you
    did before the upgrade. You made one, right?