Advise a begginer - Solaris

This is a discussion on Advise a begginer - Solaris ; Hello forum! I am a begginer to Solaris 10 and i have some (ok, many) difficulties in using it. What should i read to start learning? Is there any good book or tutorial for begginers?...

  1. Advise a begginer

    Hello forum! I am a begginer to Solaris 10 and i have some (ok, many)
    difficulties in using it. What should i read to start learning? Is
    there any good book or tutorial for begginers?

  2. Re: Advise a begginer

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:07:34 -0800, billyyo wrote:

    > Hello forum! I am a begginer to Solaris 10 and i have some (ok, many)
    > difficulties in using it. What should i read to start learning? Is
    > there any good book or tutorial for begginers?

    Google "unix tutorial".

  3. Re: Advise a begginer

    System Administrator Guide at http://docs.sun.com

  4. Re: Advise a begginer

    thank you! I found some very usefull unix tutorials and the sun
    documentation is very comprehensive. I also found a book called
    "Solaris 9 for dummies". Are there many or important differencies
    between Solaris 9 and 10 for a beginner?

  5. Re: Advise a begginer

    On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, billyyo wrote:

    > thank you! I found some very usefull unix tutorials and the sun
    > documentation is very comprehensive. I also found a book called
    > "Solaris 9 for dummies". Are there many or important differencies
    > between Solaris 9 and 10 for a beginner?

    Not for the beginner. But you will probably want to check out DTrace
    and all the other goodies that are new with S10 at some time.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  6. Re: Advise a begginer

    billyyo wrote:
    > thank you! I found some very usefull unix tutorials and the sun
    > documentation is very comprehensive.

    Sun stuff is good, but perhaps not aimed at the begginer. Can't say I
    really ever looked over the Sun site until I already knew UNOX pretty
    well, but my impression is that

    > I also found a book called
    > "Solaris 9 for dummies".

    I have that, it is not bad. Soon runs out of steam, but OK for what it
    is intended. I got mine for a fiver (5 UK pounds) in a decent book shop
    in London (Blackwells) when Solaris 9 was still very current, so perhaps
    it was not a good seller.

    There are quite a few mistakes in the book. For example, page 310 it
    says to use

    $ cd /tmp
    $ ufsrestore

    and tells you it creates a directory, which is rubbish, as ufestore will
    just exit, since using it in that way is an error.

    I spotted several others, but I happened to remember that one.

    > Are there many or important differencies
    > between Solaris 9 and 10 for a beginner?

    From a normal users point of view there is not a lot of differnece.
    UNIX is UNIX, and it does not make a huge differnece if you run Solaris,
    Linux, AIX, HP-UX or any of the other common UNIX or UNIX-like
    installations.

    The differences are more apparent from an admin point of view.

    The main difference I see from an admin point of view between Solaris 9
    and 10 is the way proceses are started and stopped.
    /etc/init.d/inetd.conf is virtually empty, and there is much reduced use
    made of the scripts in /etc/init.d.

    In their place is the service management facility (smf) which is
    administered with completely new command like svcadm and svcs. That is
    the only thing that a begginer will need to concern him/her self with.

    There is a list of the difference at

    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/soe_features.jsp
    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/whats_new.jsp

    but most are totally irrelevant to you as a beginner. The way things are
    started and stopped though has changed quite a bit and you will soon
    need to know about that. Zones is new and very interesting (to me
    anyway), dtrace is new, and so are many other things, but none should
    worry you for quite a while.

    --
    Dave K

  7. Re: Advise a begginer

    Thank you very much! You were very informative!

    As long as there aren't differencies for a beginner I can use "Solaris
    9 for dummies" as a reference on how to do some simple (for you :-))
    things or understand some concepts. The bad thing is that i prefer to
    use the Java Desktop and in the book there's nothing about it (there is
    CDE and GNOME)
    Dave wrote:
    >There are quite a few mistakes in the book

    It's funny because in the book's errata web site there are only too
    mistakes, one of which is the author's name in the cover :-)
    http://www.intuitive.com/solaris/errata.shtm

    Dave wrote:
    >Sun stuff is good, but perhaps not aimed at the begginer.

    You are totally right. I downloaded sun's "basic administration" and i
    have to confess i didn't understand much. I will start to understand
    well enough UNIX and then i'll look the sun's documentation.

    By the way it would be nice, a book for beginners about solaris 10 to
    be published. Isn't it strange that there is none

  8. Re: Advise a begginer

    billyyo wrote:

    >>There are quite a few mistakes in the book

    > It's funny because in the book's errata web site there are only too
    > mistakes, one of which is the author's name in the cover :-)
    > http://www.intuitive.com/solaris/errata.shtm

    Sorry, I had the wrong book!! The one I have is "The complete idiots
    guide to Solaris 9",

    so it is not the "Solaris 9 for dummies"

    you refer to.

    Seems writing books whilst insulting the intelligence of your audience
    is big-business, as I know the "xxx for dummies" is popular.

    > By the way it would be nice, a book for beginners about solaris 10 to
    > be published. Isn't it strange that there is none

    Perhaps someone is working on it, but I don't think it will make a lot
    of difference to you. By the time you want to know about dtrace, zones
    etc, you are probably better reading the Sun documentation.

    --
    Dave K

  9. Re: Advise a begginer

    Dave wrote:
    >Seems writing books whilst insulting the intelligence of your audience
    >is big-business, as I know the "xxx for dummies" is popular.

    Yes, you're right! I think that the basic idea is "if a dummie (or an
    idiot) can understand it then i will master it... ". But it is indeed
    insulting.

    Dave wrote:
    >Perhaps someone is working on it, but I don't think it will make a lot
    >of difference to you. By the time you want to know about dtrace, zones
    >etc, you are probably better reading the Sun documentation.

    You are right. I just need some foundations so now i am learning unix
    basics, and then i hope i would be ready to study more complex issues!

    Thank you for your help!

  10. Re: Advise a begginer

    billyyo wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >>Seems writing books whilst insulting the intelligence of your audience
    >>is big-business, as I know the "xxx for dummies" is popular.

    > Yes, you're right! I think that the basic idea is "if a dummie (or an
    > idiot) can understand it then i will master it... ". But it is indeed
    > insulting.
    >
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >>Perhaps someone is working on it, but I don't think it will make a lot
    >>of difference to you. By the time you want to know about dtrace, zones
    >>etc, you are probably better reading the Sun documentation.

    > You are right. I just need some foundations so now i am learning unix
    > basics, and then i hope i would be ready to study more complex issues!
    >
    > Thank you for your help!

    And thank you for not acting like "as400"! (Personally, I'm of the
    opinion that "as400" just left out the extra "s"... ;-)

    Dave

  11. Re: Advise a begginer

    :-|)

+ Reply to Thread