Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet - Solaris ; Hello to all, I just installed Solaris10, I'm new on it. Under Linux Debian I made an easy internet connection using the the package PPPconfigure with only a username, a password and a telephone number. Here I can't find this ...

  1. Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    Hello to all,
    I just installed Solaris10, I'm new on it. Under Linux Debian I made an easy
    internet connection using the the package PPPconfigure with only a username,
    a password and a telephone number. Here I can't find this utility. I have
    found a faq on Internet (using Windows) that suggest to use the files in
    /etc/ppp and to edit /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/resolv.conf etc.. but seems to
    be not clear.
    Can you suggest me a fast way to make this connection?
    Thank you very much
    F.

  2. Re: Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    In article <43c12f99$0$1070$4fafbaef@reader3.news.tin.it>,
    Frank wrote:
    >I just installed Solaris10, I'm new on it. Under Linux Debian I made an easy
    >internet connection using the the package PPPconfigure with only a username,
    >a password and a telephone number. Here I can't find this utility. I have

    What make/model modem are you using?
    Linux has some support for some of the infamous WinModems but Solaris
    does not.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    Frank wrote:
    > Hello to all,
    > I just installed Solaris10, I'm new on it. Under Linux Debian I made an easy
    > internet connection using the the package PPPconfigure with only a username,
    > a password and a telephone number. Here I can't find this utility. I have
    > found a faq on Internet (using Windows) that suggest to use the files in
    > /etc/ppp and to edit /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/resolv.conf etc.. but seems to
    > be not clear.
    > Can you suggest me a fast way to make this connection?
    > Thank you very much
    > F.

    As someone as pointed out, a winmodem will not work.

    An internal one might work, but it might be more hassle.

    An external one is easy. See

    http://www.kempston.net/solaris/
    and in particular
    http://www.kempston.net/solaris/connect.html

    I've got ADSL now (and have done for a long time) so have not used those
    instructions on Solaris 10, but I think I used them on Solaris 9, but it
    may have been only 8.

    --
    Dave K

  4. Re: Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    Frank wrote:
    > Hello to all,
    > I just installed Solaris10, I'm new on it. Under Linux Debian I made an easy
    > internet connection using the the package PPPconfigure with only a username,
    > a password and a telephone number. Here I can't find this utility. I have
    > found a faq on Internet (using Windows) that suggest to use the files in
    > /etc/ppp and to edit /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/resolv.conf etc.. but seems to
    > be not clear.
    > Can you suggest me a fast way to make this connection?
    > Thank you very much
    > F.

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816...aoquigm?a=view

    //Lars

  5. Re: Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    Frank wrote:
    > Hello to all,
    > I just installed Solaris10, I'm new on it. Under Linux Debian I made an easy
    > internet connection using the the package PPPconfigure with only a username,
    > a password and a telephone number. Here I can't find this utility. I have
    > found a faq on Internet (using Windows) that suggest to use the files in
    > /etc/ppp and to edit /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/resolv.conf etc.. but seems to
    > be not clear.
    > Can you suggest me a fast way to make this connection?
    > Thank you very much
    > F.

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816...aoquigm?a=view

    //Lars

  6. R: Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    John D Groenveld wrote in message
    dprr9f$9mt$1@neuromancer.cse.psu.edu...
    > In article <43c12f99$0$1070$4fafbaef@reader3.news.tin.it>,
    > Frank wrote:
    > >I just installed Solaris10, I'm new on it. Under Linux Debian I made an

    easy
    > >internet connection using the the package PPPconfigure with only a

    username,
    > >a password and a telephone number. Here I can't find this utility. I have

    > What make/model modem are you using?
    > Linux has some support for some of the infamous WinModems but Solaris
    > does not.
    >
    > John
    > groenveld@acm.org

    I'm using this external modem: 3Com Us.Robotics 56k Professional Message
    Modem (bought 6 years ago)
    What do you think?
    F.

  7. R: Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    Dave

    wrote in message 43c1b198@212.67.96.135...
    > Frank wrote:
    > > Hello to all,
    > > I just installed Solaris10, I'm new on it. Under Linux Debian I made an

    easy
    > > internet connection using the the package PPPconfigure with only a

    username,
    > > a password and a telephone number. Here I can't find this utility. I

    have
    > > found a faq on Internet (using Windows) that suggest to use the files in
    > > /etc/ppp and to edit /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/resolv.conf etc.. but

    seems to
    > > be not clear.
    > > Can you suggest me a fast way to make this connection?
    > > Thank you very much
    > > F.
    > >

    > As someone as pointed out, a winmodem will not work.
    >
    > An internal one might work, but it might be more hassle.
    >
    > An external one is easy. See
    >
    > http://www.kempston.net/solaris/
    > and in particular
    > http://www.kempston.net/solaris/connect.html
    >
    > I've got ADSL now (and have done for a long time) so have not used those
    > instructions on Solaris 10, but I think I used them on Solaris 9, but it
    > may have been only 8.
    >

    > --
    > Dave K

    Thank you Dave,
    surely more friendly and faster than the Sun documentation. I hope only that
    it works with Solaris10 because this website talks about Solaris7-8.
    F.

  8. Re: R: Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    Frank wrote:

    > Thank you Dave,
    > surely more friendly and faster than the Sun documentation. I hope only that
    > it works with Solaris10 because this website talks about Solaris7-8.
    > F.

    I suspect it will. I'd be most surprised if it does not. I'm pretty sure
    I used his instructions worked on 9. It's a shame he no longer updates
    that site, as it was useful - still is. Perhaps if it works, you can let
    him know it works on 10, so perhaps he will update the pages to say
    they have been "reported to work on Solaris 10 too",

    If you do get it working on 10, perhaps you can write it here, and
    perhaps copy me an email just in case I miss it. I'd like to configure a
    56k modem as a standby, just in case my normal link is down. The *reply*
    to address here is valid for a limited time (few months) - the *from* it
    not. You should be able to work out how to email me at any point in the
    future.

    To answer your other questions about the "3Com Us.Robotics 56k
    Professional Message Modem" I suspect that will be fine. Mine was a 3Com
    Us.Robotics 56k Fax/Modem - aimed at home users. It was fine.

    --
    Dave K

  9. Re: R: Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    In article <43c28f71$0$1077$4fafbaef@reader1.news.tin.it>,
    Frank wrote:
    >I'm using this external modem: 3Com Us.Robotics 56k Professional Message
    >Modem (bought 6 years ago)

    First follow Celeste Stokely's tutorial for setting up the serial
    connection to your modem.

    After you've confirmed you can dialout with tip(1), you can create
    the chat(1M) script for pppd(1M).

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  10. R: R: Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    Ok Dave thank you, I will let you know if all goes well.
    F.
    Dave

    wrote in message 43c29437@212.67.96.135...
    > Frank wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you Dave,
    > > surely more friendly and faster than the Sun documentation. I hope only

    that
    > > it works with Solaris10 because this website talks about Solaris7-8.
    > > F.
    > >

    > I suspect it will. I'd be most surprised if it does not. I'm pretty sure
    > I used his instructions worked on 9. It's a shame he no longer updates
    > that site, as it was useful - still is. Perhaps if it works, you can let
    > him know it works on 10, so perhaps he will update the pages to say
    > they have been "reported to work on Solaris 10 too",
    >
    > If you do get it working on 10, perhaps you can write it here, and
    > perhaps copy me an email just in case I miss it. I'd like to configure a
    > 56k modem as a standby, just in case my normal link is down. The *reply*
    > to address here is valid for a limited time (few months) - the *from* it
    > not. You should be able to work out how to email me at any point in the
    > future.
    >
    > To answer your other questions about the "3Com Us.Robotics 56k
    > Professional Message Modem" I suspect that will be fine. Mine was a 3Com
    > Us.Robotics 56k Fax/Modem - aimed at home users. It was fine.
    >
    > --
    > Dave K
    >
    > http://www.southminster-branch-line.org.uk/
    >
    > Please note my email address changes periodically to avoid spam.
    > It is always of the form: month-year@domain. Hitting reply will work
    > for a couple of months only. Later set it manually. The month is
    > always written in 3 letters (e.g. Jan, not January etc)

  11. R: Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    I thank you for your answers, you are very kind.I need only time to edit the
    files, I hope that I don't damage my system.
    I have only a last question, in the case I haven't success:
    Is there an application (a precompiled package too) like a guided procedure
    that help to setup a connection to an ISP with Solaris10? For example like:
    wmdial, kppp, pppconfigure on linux.
    F.

    Frank wrote in message
    43c12f99$0$1070$4fafbaef@reader3.news.tin.it...
    > Hello to all,
    > I just installed Solaris10, I'm new on it. Under Linux Debian I made an

    easy
    > internet connection using the the package PPPconfigure with only a

    username,
    > a password and a telephone number. Here I can't find this utility. I have
    > found a faq on Internet (using Windows) that suggest to use the files in
    > /etc/ppp and to edit /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/resolv.conf etc.. but seems

    > be not clear.
    > Can you suggest me a fast way to make this connection?
    > Thank you very much
    > F.

  12. Re: R: Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:50:00 +0000, Dave

    wrote:

    >Frank wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you Dave,
    >> surely more friendly and faster than the Sun documentation. I hope only that
    >> it works with Solaris10 because this website talks about Solaris7-8.
    >>

    >I suspect it will. I'd be most surprised if it does not.

    I don't think it will. Those instructions were written in the days
    when Sun used the asppp software and they replaced this with the open
    source pppd (as used in Linux) some time ago. I haven't checked but
    it's likely that Solaris 10 uses pppd.

    The good news is that pppd has been used in Linux for many years, so
    there's plenty of good advice on the Web about how to configure it,
    although it will probably need to be done manually on Solaris without
    any of the point'n'click utilities that make it so easy on more recent
    versions of Linux.

    Perhaps you or Frank would like to write a Web page on configuring
    pppd for Solaris 10?

    >I'm pretty sure
    >I used his instructions worked on 9. It's a shame he no longer updates
    >that site, as it was useful - still is.

    Shortage of time, I'm afraid.

    >To answer your other questions about the "3Com Us.Robotics 56k
    >Professional Message Modem" I suspect that will be fine. Mine was a 3Com
    >Us.Robotics 56k Fax/Modem - aimed at home users. It was fine.

    That modem is fine. I've used it myself on Solaris.

    Mike.

    --
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  13. R: R: Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    Thank you Mike for your answers. If I will be able to make a connection to
    my ISP with Solaris10 I will be happy to write the instructions, but it
    seems to be a bit difficult for me. Actually I tried to follow the
    instructions explained in the file myisp inside /etc/ppp/peers/ . The result
    is that my modem dials the ISP number and the connection is open, but I
    can't navigate and use commands like host, ping.... Surely I haven't edited
    (and well edited) all the files that pppd needs.
    However thank you
    F.

    Mike wrote in message
    ekq5s15cc80pf27vhcbdgquq42lg45v5uq@news.kempston.n et...
    > On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:50:00 +0000, Dave
    >

    > wrote:
    >
    > >Frank wrote:
    > >
    > >> Thank you Dave,
    > >> surely more friendly and faster than the Sun documentation. I hope only

    that
    > >> it works with Solaris10 because this website talks about Solaris7-8.
    > >>

    > >I suspect it will. I'd be most surprised if it does not.

    > I don't think it will. Those instructions were written in the days
    > when Sun used the asppp software and they replaced this with the open
    > source pppd (as used in Linux) some time ago. I haven't checked but
    > it's likely that Solaris 10 uses pppd.
    >
    > The good news is that pppd has been used in Linux for many years, so
    > there's plenty of good advice on the Web about how to configure it,
    > although it will probably need to be done manually on Solaris without
    > any of the point'n'click utilities that make it so easy on more recent
    > versions of Linux.
    >
    > Perhaps you or Frank would like to write a Web page on configuring
    > pppd for Solaris 10?
    >
    > >I'm pretty sure
    > >I used his instructions worked on 9. It's a shame he no longer updates
    > >that site, as it was useful - still is.

    > Shortage of time, I'm afraid.
    >
    > >To answer your other questions about the "3Com Us.Robotics 56k
    > >Professional Message Modem" I suspect that will be fine. Mine was a 3Com
    > >Us.Robotics 56k Fax/Modem - aimed at home users. It was fine.

    > That modem is fine. I've used it myself on Solaris.
    >
    > Mike.
    >
    > --
    > Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  14. Re: R: R: Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    Frank wrote:
    > Thank you Mike for your answers. If I will be able to make a connection to
    > my ISP with Solaris10 I will be happy to write the instructions, but it
    > seems to be a bit difficult for me. Actually I tried to follow the
    > instructions explained in the file myisp inside /etc/ppp/peers/ . The result
    > is that my modem dials the ISP number and the connection is open, but I
    > can't navigate and use commands like host, ping.... Surely I haven't edited
    > (and well edited) all the files that pppd needs.
    > However thank you
    > F.

    Thinking about what Mike said, perhaps I did use pppd. It is a long time
    since I last set up a modem to an ISP on Solaris.

    You say you can't "navigate". I assume you mean broswe the web.

    try

    $ ping localhost

    $ ping 212.58.224.121 // that is the BBC web site.
    212.58.224.121 is alive

    Is /etc/resolv.conf set? You did not type /etc/resolve.conf by misktake
    did you?

    How about /etc/nsswitch.conf?

    --
    Dave K

  15. Re: R: Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    Mike wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:50:00 +0000, Dave
    >
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Frank wrote:
    >>

    >>>Thank you Dave,
    >>>surely more friendly and faster than the Sun documentation. I hope only that
    >>>it works with Solaris10 because this website talks about Solaris7-8.
    >>>

    >>I suspect it will. I'd be most surprised if it does not.

    > I don't think it will. Those instructions were written in the days
    > when Sun used the asppp software and they replaced this with the open
    > source pppd (as used in Linux) some time ago. I haven't checked but
    > it's likely that Solaris 10 uses pppd.
    >
    > The good news is that pppd has been used in Linux for many years, so
    > there's plenty of good advice on the Web about how to configure it,
    > although it will probably need to be done manually on Solaris without
    > any of the point'n'click utilities that make it so easy on more recent
    > versions of Linux.
    >
    > Perhaps you or Frank would like to write a Web page on configuring
    > pppd for Solaris 10?
    >

    >>I'm pretty sure
    >>I used his instructions worked on 9. It's a shame he no longer updates
    >>that site, as it was useful - still is.

    > Shortage of time, I'm afraid.
    >

    >>To answer your other questions about the "3Com Us.Robotics 56k
    >>Professional Message Modem" I suspect that will be fine. Mine was a 3Com
    >>Us.Robotics 56k Fax/Modem - aimed at home users. It was fine.

    > That modem is fine. I've used it myself on Solaris.
    >
    > Mike.

    PS.

    Post the results of

    $ netstat -rn

    It should be something like:

    Routing Table: IPv4
    Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface
    -------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
    192.168.0.0 192.168.0.10 U 1 227 hme0
    224.0.0.0 192.168.0.10 U 1 0 hme0
    default 192.168.0.100 UG 1 2100
    127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 4 277 lo0

    There should be a different address for all of them, but the default
    gateway (192.168.0.100) should be the ISP. If that is not set being set
    correctly, then you will get nowhere.

    --
    Dave K

  16. R: R: R: Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    Dave

    wrote in message 43c3a887@212.67.96.135...

    > Thinking about what Mike said, perhaps I did use pppd. It is a long time
    > since I last set up a modem to an ISP on Solaris.
    >
    > You say you can't "navigate". I assume you mean broswe the web.
    >
    > try
    >
    > $ ping localhost
    >
    > $ ping 212.58.224.121 // that is the BBC web site.
    > 212.58.224.121 is alive
    >
    > Is /etc/resolv.conf set? You did not type /etc/resolve.conf by misktake
    > did you?
    >
    > How about /etc/nsswitch.conf?

    Yes Dave, with "navigate" I mean browse the web.
    Now I report all the things that you asked me.
    When I'm disconnected:

    bash-3.00# ping localhost
    localhost is alive

    bash-3.00# ping 212.58.224.121
    ICMP Host Unreachable from gateway localhost (127.0.0.1)
    for icmp from localhost (127.0.0.1) to 212.58.224.121
    ICMP Host Unreachable from gateway localhost (127.0.0.1)
    for icmp from localhost (127.0.0.1) to 212.58.224.121

    Now I start the connection following the instructions wrote in
    /etc/ppp/peers/myisp.tmpl that I have renamed to myisp (myisp is under
    /etc/ppp/peers/):

    bash-3.00# pppd ttya call myisp
    Calling myisp
    chat: Jan 11 14:16:23 CONNECT 37333/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS
    Serial connection established.
    Using interface sppp0
    Connect: sppp0 <--> /dev/ttya
    Remote message: ^@
    local IP address 80.104.204.35
    remote IP address 192.168.1.1

    Now the modem is connected

    bash-3.00# ping localhost
    localhost is alive

    bash-3.00# ping 212.58.224.121
    212.58.224.121 is alive

    bash-3.00# host 212.58.224.121

    The browser web Mozilla could not find any address that I write

    There is no file /etc/resolv.conf in my virgin system

    bash-3.00# cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
    #
    # /etc/nsswitch.files:
    #
    # An example file that could be copied over to /etc/nsswitch.conf; it
    # does not use any naming service.
    #
    # "hosts:" and "services:" in this file are used only if the
    # /etc/netconfig file has a "-" for nametoaddr_libs of "inet" transports.

    passwd: files
    group: files
    hosts: files
    ipnodes: files
    networks: files
    protocols: files
    rpc: files
    ethers: files
    netmasks: files
    bootparams: files
    publickey: files
    # At present there isn't a 'files' backend for netgroup; the system will
    # figure it out pretty quickly, and won't use netgroups at all.
    netgroup: files
    automount: files
    aliases: files
    services: files
    printers: user files
    auth_attr: files
    prof_attr: files
    project: files

    bash-3.00# netstat -rn
    Routing Table: IPv4
    Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface
    -------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
    192.168.1.1 80.104.204.35 UH 1 0 sppp0
    224.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 U 1 0 lo0
    default 192.168.1.1 UG 1 12
    127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 12 325 lo0

    bash-3.00# ifconfig sppp0
    sppp0:
    flags=10010008d1 mtu
    1524 index 2
    inet 80.104.204.35 --> 192.168.1.1 netmask ff000000

  17. Re: R: R: R: Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:59:47 +0100, "Frank"
    wrote:

    >bash-3.00# ping 212.58.224.121
    >212.58.224.121 is alive

    If that's working, your dial-up connection is working. All you need
    to do now is configure /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf
    correctly.

    See http://www.kempston.net/solaris/connectanyisp.html for the changes
    needed to these two files (and ignore the rest of that Web page).

    Mike.

    --
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  18. R: R: R: R: Solaris10: Connecting my modem to Internet

    Mike wrote in message
    718cs15eqvonukr5d32d9ukmmt99v4q8c2@news.kempston.n et...
    > On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:59:47 +0100, "Frank"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >bash-3.00# ping 212.58.224.121
    > >212.58.224.121 is alive

    > If that's working, your dial-up connection is working. All you need
    > to do now is configure /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf
    > correctly.
    >
    > See http://www.kempston.net/solaris/connectanyisp.html for the changes
    > needed to these two files (and ignore the rest of that Web page).
    >
    > Mike.

    I'm sorry for my delay. I have good news!
    I edited /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf and now all seems to work
    fine!
    For the moment so I stop to bother you.
    I found this helpfull faq: http://www.sun.drydog.com/faq/6.html#6.11
    The author said me that works for Solaris10 too. However I followed only the
    instructions inside /etc/ppp/peers/myisp.tmpl , it says that I have to
    rename 3 or 4 files (under /etc/ppp) and edit them with my data. Then I have
    modified /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf . I hope this can help
    other users with the same problem.
    I THANK YOU ALL that have helped me with precious suggestions. I'm very
    happy beacuse there are kind persons like you. If you have some questions
    post them.
    F.

+ Reply to Thread