Low graphic performance with Radeon 9600 - Solaris

This is a discussion on Low graphic performance with Radeon 9600 - Solaris ; Hi, I've a SiS chipset based motherboard with an ATI Radeon 9600 graphic card. It performs well in Linux and Windows, but Solaris 10 x86 3/05 and 1/06 are sluggish. You can see how bitmaps are being displayed, the mouse ...

  1. Low graphic performance with Radeon 9600

    Hi,

    I've a SiS chipset based motherboard with an ATI Radeon 9600 graphic
    card. It performs well in Linux and Windows, but Solaris 10 x86 3/05
    and 1/06 are sluggish. You can see how bitmaps are being displayed, the
    mouse cursor gets choppy sometimes (like it was refreshed at 4 fps) and
    some other annoyances. I'm using the Xorg server with all possible
    configurations (one of them directly imported from the Linux Xorg), but
    no one works fine.

    I've seen at the Xorg log that RenderAccel is not supported for Radeons
    > 9500... so, does it mean I've no chance to get it work as it could be ? Does anybody else have this problem ?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Low graphic performance with Radeon 9600

    "Mik" writes in alt.solaris.x86:
    |I've a SiS chipset based motherboard with an ATI Radeon 9600 graphic
    |card. It performs well in Linux and Windows, but Solaris 10 x86 3/05
    |and 1/06 are sluggish.

    ATI makes closed source graphics drivers for Windows & Linux that can
    take full advantage of the hardware, while Solaris is running with the
    open source driver which is much more limited. Additionally, the open
    source driver requires the DRI framework to take full advanatage of even
    the limited set of hardware acceleration it knows about, and that is
    still the process of being ported to the Solaris kernel. Between that
    and other improvements (such as the X11R6.9 release), ATI graphics speed
    should improve on Solaris in the future, but if you want fully
    accelerated 2-D & 3-D graphics for Solaris, nvidia is currently the best
    choice, as they're the only vendor producing a Solaris version of their
    fully accelerated drivers & OpenGL engines.

    --
    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/