Managed to bork the X resolution under gnome - Solaris

This is a discussion on Managed to bork the X resolution under gnome - Solaris ; I've gone and done a very silly thing (at least it seems silly now...). I should also mention that I'm no expert on Solaris, I've been hacking away on this purely as a means of getting experience of running one ...

  1. Managed to bork the X resolution under gnome

    I've gone and done a very silly thing (at least it seems silly now...).
    I should also mention that I'm no expert on Solaris, I've been hacking
    away on this purely as a means of getting experience of running one of
    my company's J2EE products on this environment.

    I've got a Solaris 10 system running in a VMWare Workstation image. The
    native screen resolution of my Dell laptop is 1680x1050 and I've been
    running Solaris 10 using a resolution of 1024x768 which has worked fine.

    I wanted to increase the resolution of the Gnome desktop to better
    utilise the native resolution of the flat panel so I decided to change
    the resolution by right clicking on the desktop and choosing change
    desktop resolution. I then tried 1280x768, a resolution which I thought
    would be better given the widescreen flat panel on the Dell and instead
    of the clean Gnome desktop I was treated to a corrupt desktop screen in
    which I can't make anything out.

    The XServer appears to be working normally, but I can't read anything
    and hence can't change the resolution back to what it was.

    I've had a look at the xorg.conf file and nothing has changed in there
    from what I can see. Also when I try and start kdmconfig to switch the
    X Server to Xsun as a temporary workaround, kdmconfig just stalls at the
    prompt. The only way I can get control back it to Ctrl+C.

    Any ideas on how I can recover this?
    --
    Regards,

    JasonB

  2. Re: Managed to bork the X resolution under gnome

    JasonB writes in alt.solaris.x86:
    |I wanted to increase the resolution of the Gnome desktop to better
    |utilise the native resolution of the flat panel so I decided to change
    |the resolution by right clicking on the desktop and choosing change
    |desktop resolution. I then tried 1280x768, a resolution which I thought
    |would be better given the widescreen flat panel on the Dell and instead
    |of the clean Gnome desktop I was treated to a corrupt desktop screen in
    |which I can't make anything out.
    |
    |The XServer appears to be working normally, but I can't read anything
    |and hence can't change the resolution back to what it was.
    |
    |I've had a look at the xorg.conf file and nothing has changed in there
    |from what I can see. Also when I try and start kdmconfig to switch the
    |X Server to Xsun as a temporary workaround, kdmconfig just stalls at the
    |prompt. The only way I can get control back it to Ctrl+C.
    |
    |Any ideas on how I can recover this?

    The GNOME resolution changer saves the new resolution in the GNOME
    configuration database, not in xorg.conf or anywhere system wide.

    The simplest way to recover is to run "gnome-cleanup" to destroy all
    your GNOME configuration files and reset to the defaults.

    --
    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/