Solaris 10 "u1" - Where is DCA? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 "u1" - Where is DCA? - Solaris ; Hi, I downloaded and installed Solaris 10 "u1" from Sun's website, and it's kind of working. However, since installing Solaris, I cannot access DCA. When it boots, the GRUB screen is displayed, and pressing ESC doesn't do anything either before ...

  1. Solaris 10 "u1" - Where is DCA?

    Hi,

    I downloaded and installed Solaris 10 "u1" from Sun's website, and it's
    kind of working.

    However, since installing Solaris, I cannot access DCA. When it boots,
    the GRUB screen is displayed, and pressing ESC doesn't do anything
    either before or after that.

    Also, on my CD2-4, there is no "d1_image", in the "Tools" directory, so
    I can't even create a bootable DCA floppy.

    I've seen some messages about this, but no real answers.

    Can anyone tell me how do I access DCA with Solaris 10?

    Thanks,
    Jim

  2. Re: Solaris 10 "u1" - Where is DCA?

    ohaya wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I downloaded and installed Solaris 10 "u1" from Sun's website, and it's
    > kind of working.
    >
    > However, since installing Solaris, I cannot access DCA. When it boots,
    > the GRUB screen is displayed, and pressing ESC doesn't do anything
    > either before or after that.
    >
    > Also, on my CD2-4, there is no "d1_image", in the "Tools" directory, so
    > I can't even create a bootable DCA floppy.
    >
    > I've seen some messages about this, but no real answers.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how do I access DCA with Solaris 10?

    Hi,

    I just downloaded and burned the DVD image of Solaris 10 (1/06), and
    that doesn't seem to have the "d1_image" on it either ...

    Does anyone know where this file actually is?

    Thanks,
    Jim

  3. Re: Solaris 10 "u1" - Where is DCA?

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 06:16:20 -0500, ohaya wrote:

    > ohaya wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I downloaded and installed Solaris 10 "u1" from Sun's website, and it's
    >> kind of working.
    >>
    >> However, since installing Solaris, I cannot access DCA. When it boots,
    >> the GRUB screen is displayed, and pressing ESC doesn't do anything
    >> either before or after that.
    >>
    >> Also, on my CD2-4, there is no "d1_image", in the "Tools" directory, so
    >> I can't even create a bootable DCA floppy.
    >>
    >> I've seen some messages about this, but no real answers.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me how do I access DCA with Solaris 10?

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just downloaded and burned the DVD image of Solaris 10
    > (1/06), and that doesn't seem to have the "d1_image" on it either ...
    >
    > Does anyone know where this file actually is?

    It was part of the old boot system which is replaced with the new Grub
    based boot system in Solaris 10 1/06 so the reason ESC does not bring
    you into the DCA is simply because it is not there any more. Even if you
    had a DCA it would be of no use because the boot process is changed to not
    use it. If you tell us what you need to do in the DCA we can probably tell
    you the new way of doing it.

    /Kjell

  4. Re: Solaris 10 "u1" - Where is DCA?

    Kjell Högström wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 06:16:20 -0500, ohaya wrote:
    >

    > > ohaya wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I downloaded and installed Solaris 10 "u1" from Sun's website, and it's
    > >> kind of working.
    > >>
    > >> However, since installing Solaris, I cannot access DCA. When it boots,
    > >> the GRUB screen is displayed, and pressing ESC doesn't do anything
    > >> either before or after that.
    > >>
    > >> Also, on my CD2-4, there is no "d1_image", in the "Tools" directory, so
    > >> I can't even create a bootable DCA floppy.
    > >>
    > >> I've seen some messages about this, but no real answers.
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone tell me how do I access DCA with Solaris 10?

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I just downloaded and burned the DVD image of Solaris 10
    > > (1/06), and that doesn't seem to have the "d1_image" on it either ...
    > >
    > > Does anyone know where this file actually is?

    > It was part of the old boot system which is replaced with the new Grub
    > based boot system in Solaris 10 1/06 so the reason ESC does not bring
    > you into the DCA is simply because it is not there any more. Even if you
    > had a DCA it would be of no use because the boot process is changed to not
    > use it. If you tell us what you need to do in the DCA we can probably tell
    > you the new way of doing it.

    Kjell,

    Thanks. I've been searching and searching for it, so thanks for the
    answer.

    For why I thought I needed it, see my earlier posts on this newsgroup,
    especially "Got IDE PCI Card working (for data only, so far)".

    My original problem is that I have an older motherboard (Asus A7A266)
    that appears not to allow Solaris to enable DMA. But then, I was able
    to get an IDE-PCI card working with Solaris X86 10, but so far, I can
    only access drives that are attached via the IDE-PCI card after Solaris
    has booted. DMA does work on those IDE-PCI card-attached drives, and I
    would really like to either:

    1) Boot Solaris off of the IDE-PCI card-attached drive, or

    2) Boot off of an onboard IDE-attached drive and then "switch" to the
    IDE-PCI card-attached drive so that Solaris is essentially running on
    the IDE-PCI card-attached drive.

    So, I've been trying to accomplish #1.

    I've tried all kinds of things in GRUB. GRUB itself seems to be able to
    boot off of the IDE-PCI card-attached drive, but it (GRUB) can't seem to
    load the kernel off of that drive. I get either "error 17" or "error
    21", I think "not a ufs filesystem" or "filesystem not found".

    I was theorizing that the reason for this is that the initial part of
    the Solaris 10 boot (including GRUB) doesn't have the settings for the
    IDE-PCI Card ("pci1283,1"), so I was thinking that I could somehow add
    that to to initial boot environment (e.g., similar to adding to "master"
    file) to get GRUB to be able to "see" the IDE-PCI card-attached drive,
    and I guess I was thinking that maybe I could do that with a DCA floppy.

    If you, or anyone else, knows how I can make the IDE-PCI card-attached
    drive bootable to Solaris 10, I'd appreciate suggestions.

    Thanks,
    Jim

  5. Re: Solaris 10 "u1" - Where is DCA?

    ohaya wrote:

    > Kjell Högström wrote:

    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I just downloaded and burned the DVD image of Solaris 10
    > > > (1/06), and that doesn't seem to have the "d1_image" on it either ...
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know where this file actually is?

    > > It was part of the old boot system which is replaced with the new Grub
    > > based boot system in Solaris 10 1/06 so the reason ESC does not bring
    > > you into the DCA is simply because it is not there any more. Even if you
    > > had a DCA it would be of no use because the boot process is changed to not
    > > use it. If you tell us what you need to do in the DCA we can probably tell
    > > you the new way of doing it.
    > >

    > Kjell,
    >
    > Thanks. I've been searching and searching for it, so thanks for the
    > answer.
    >
    > For why I thought I needed it, see my earlier posts on this newsgroup,
    > especially "Got IDE PCI Card working (for data only, so far)".
    >
    > My original problem is that I have an older motherboard (Asus A7A266)
    > that appears not to allow Solaris to enable DMA. But then, I was able
    > to get an IDE-PCI card working with Solaris X86 10, but so far, I can
    > only access drives that are attached via the IDE-PCI card after Solaris
    > has booted. DMA does work on those IDE-PCI card-attached drives, and I
    > would really like to either:
    >
    > 1) Boot Solaris off of the IDE-PCI card-attached drive, or
    >
    > 2) Boot off of an onboard IDE-attached drive and then "switch" to the
    > IDE-PCI card-attached drive so that Solaris is essentially running on
    > the IDE-PCI card-attached drive.
    >
    > So, I've been trying to accomplish #1.
    >
    > I've tried all kinds of things in GRUB. GRUB itself seems to be able to
    > boot off of the IDE-PCI card-attached drive, but it (GRUB) can't seem to
    > load the kernel off of that drive. I get either "error 17" or "error
    > 21", I think "not a ufs filesystem" or "filesystem not found".
    >
    > I was theorizing that the reason for this is that the initial part of
    > the Solaris 10 boot (including GRUB) doesn't have the settings for the
    > IDE-PCI Card ("pci1283,1"), so I was thinking that I could somehow add
    > that to to initial boot environment (e.g., similar to adding to "master"
    > file) to get GRUB to be able to "see" the IDE-PCI card-attached drive,
    > and I guess I was thinking that maybe I could do that with a DCA floppy.
    >
    > If you, or anyone else, knows how I can make the IDE-PCI card-attached
    > drive bootable to Solaris 10, I'd appreciate suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    Hi Kjell (et al),

    See the 2nd item (in the "What to Do if Rebooting Fails" section) at:

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...g741c90?a=view

    where it says:

    "Solaris 10: Boot the system by using the Configuration Assistant/boot
    diskette and select the disk from which to boot"

    Based on your post, I guess they mean that this is only for Solaris 10
    SPARC, but I'm getting this same error, and I'm trying to figure out
    what to do since I have Solaris X86 10 (1/06).

    Jim

  6. Re: Solaris 10 "u1" - Where is DCA?

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 14:25:25 -0500, ohaya wrote: [...]

    > Thanks. I've been searching and searching for it, so thanks for the
    > answer.
    >
    > For why I thought I needed it, see my earlier posts on this newsgroup,
    > especially "Got IDE PCI Card working (for data only, so far)".
    >
    > My original problem is that I have an older motherboard (Asus A7A266)
    > that appears not to allow Solaris to enable DMA. But then, I was able
    > to get an IDE-PCI card working with Solaris X86 10, but so far, I can
    > only access drives that are attached via the IDE-PCI card after Solaris
    > has booted. DMA does work on those IDE-PCI card-attached drives, and I
    > would really

    So it seems like Solaris knows about your card.

    > like to either:
    >
    > 1) Boot Solaris off of the IDE-PCI card-attached drive, or
    >
    > 2) Boot off of an onboard IDE-attached drive and then "switch" to the
    > IDE-PCI card-attached drive so that Solaris is essentially running on
    > the IDE-PCI card-attached drive.
    >

    > So, I've been trying to accomplish #1.
    >
    > I've tried all kinds of things in GRUB. GRUB itself seems to be able to
    > boot off of the IDE-PCI card-attached drive, but it (GRUB) can't seem to
    > load the kernel off of that drive. I get either "error 17" or "error
    > 21", I think "not a ufs filesystem" or "filesystem not found".

    From the Grub info file:

    17 : Cannot mount selected partition
    This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the
    filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.

    21 : Selected disk does not exist
    This error is returned if the device part of a device- or full file
    name refers to a disk or BIOS device that is not present or not
    recognized by the BIOS in the system.

    Grub seems to be your (first) problem, the Solaris kernel has not start to
    load at the time you get these errors.

    > I was theorizing that the reason for this is that the initial part of
    > the Solaris 10 boot (including GRUB) doesn't have the settings for the
    > IDE-PCI Card ("pci1283,1"), so I was thinking that I could somehow add
    > that to to initial boot environment (e.g., similar to adding to "master"
    > file) to get GRUB to be able to "see" the IDE-PCI card-attached drive,
    > and I guess I was thinking that maybe I could do that with a DCA floppy.

    How is your setup. Are you able to select the drive on the pci-ide card as
    boot drive in the BIOS or are you loading grub from another boot drive.
    One idea I have is that you may have a problem with the drive order and
    therefore the names in grub.

    > If you, or anyone else, knows how I can make the IDE-PCI card-attached
    > drive bootable to Solaris 10, I'd appreciate suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

  7. Re: Solaris 10 "u1" - Where is DCA?

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 14:48:15 -0500, ohaya wrote:

    [...]

    > Hi Kjell (et al),
    >
    > See the 2nd item (in the "What to Do if Rebooting Fails" section) at:
    >
    > http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...g741c90?a=view
    >
    > where it says:
    >
    > "Solaris 10: Boot the system by using the Configuration Assistant/boot
    > diskette and select the disk from which to boot"
    >
    > Based on your post, I guess they mean that this is only for Solaris 10
    > SPARC, but I'm getting this same error, and I'm trying to figure out
    > what to do since I have Solaris X86 10 (1/06).
    >
    > Jim

    It is a bit confusing, but for x86 you should really read Solaris 10 as
    Solaris 10 3/05 and only that.

    For an introduction to the grub system in Solaris see the following
    feature article on Big Admin:

    GRUB and the Solaris 10 1/06 OS: The New Bootloader for x86 Platforms
    Shudong Zhou and Jan Setje-Eiler, December 2005

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features...t_solaris.html

    /Kjell

  8. Re: Solaris 10 "u1" - Where is DCA?

    Kjell Högström wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 14:48:15 -0500, ohaya wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > > Hi Kjell (et al),
    > >
    > > See the 2nd item (in the "What to Do if Rebooting Fails" section) at:
    > >
    > > http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...g741c90?a=view
    > >
    > > where it says:
    > >
    > > "Solaris 10: Boot the system by using the Configuration Assistant/boot
    > > diskette and select the disk from which to boot"
    > >
    > > Based on your post, I guess they mean that this is only for Solaris 10
    > > SPARC, but I'm getting this same error, and I'm trying to figure out
    > > what to do since I have Solaris X86 10 (1/06).
    > >
    > > Jim

    > It is a bit confusing, but for x86 you should really read Solaris 10 as
    > Solaris 10 3/05 and only that.
    >
    > For an introduction to the grub system in Solaris see the following
    > feature article on Big Admin:
    >
    > GRUB and the Solaris 10 1/06 OS: The New Bootloader for x86 Platforms
    > Shudong Zhou and Jan Setje-Eiler, December 2005
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features...t_solaris.html
    >
    > /Kjell

    Kjell,

    Thanks for the link. I will take a look.

    In the meantime, I *think* that I have made some progress.

    I think that I can get GRUB to at least TRY to boot Solaris off of the
    IDE-PCI card-attached drive. The way that I did this was by:

    - booting to the internal IDE drive
    - mount the IDE-PCI card-attached drive
    - edited the "bootpath" line in the /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc file to
    point to the different device ("...pci-ide@c" instead of
    "...pci-ide@4").

    Once I did that, and changed the:

    root (hd0,0,a)

    root (hd1,0,a)

    in the GRUB boot menu, it looks like it is TRYING to boot Solaris off of
    the IDE-PCI card-attached drive. I can tell because I see the light
    blinking on that drive (vs. on the onboard IDE-controller-attached
    drive).

    However, there seems to be more that I need to do, because when it boots
    this way, I get a bunch of error messages, and then the system hangs.

    The errors are things like:

    - pmconfig: can't open/create /etc/.cpr_config....
    - bunch of errors complaining about a 'read-only file system' and can't
    open daemon lock files

    I feel like I'm "that close" to getting this working, but there is
    something else on the IDE-PCI card-attached drive that I need to modify,
    I think.

    Jim

  9. SUCCESS BOOTING FROM IDE CARD was [Re: Solaris 10 "u1" - Where is DCA?]

    Kjell (et al),

    I think that I was JUST able to get ALL of this working, i.e., have an
    drive attached to an IDE-PCI card in my Asus A7A266 motherboard, and
    being able to boot Solaris X86 10 (1/06) off of the drive!!

    The IDE-PCI card I am using is a Syba SB-ATA8212-133R IDE-PCI card that
    I flashed to an ATAPI/IDE controller using ITE firmware (i.e., the card
    is no longer a RAID controller).

    I found this webpage:

    http://www.riddleware.com/solx86/SCSI_change.html

    which was VERY helpful in getting past the last step, in that it
    indicated I had to modify /etc/vfstab to use the IDE-PCI attached
    drive. Once I did that, I booted using GRUB, changing the:

    root (hd0,0,a)

    root (hd1,0,a)

    and VOILA!

    FYI, the boot order in my BIOS is:

    -floppy
    -CD
    -IDE
    -SCSI

    I will try to post a summary later tonight.

    Jim

    ohaya wrote:

    > Kjell Högström wrote:
    > >
    > > On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 14:48:15 -0500, ohaya wrote:
    > >
    > > [...]
    > >
    > > > Hi Kjell (et al),
    > > >
    > > > See the 2nd item (in the "What to Do if Rebooting Fails" section) at:
    > > >
    > > > http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...g741c90?a=view
    > > >
    > > > where it says:
    > > >
    > > > "Solaris 10: Boot the system by using the Configuration Assistant/boot
    > > > diskette and select the disk from which to boot"
    > > >
    > > > Based on your post, I guess they mean that this is only for Solaris 10
    > > > SPARC, but I'm getting this same error, and I'm trying to figure out
    > > > what to do since I have Solaris X86 10 (1/06).
    > > >
    > > > Jim

    > > It is a bit confusing, but for x86 you should really read Solaris 10 as
    > > Solaris 10 3/05 and only that.
    > >
    > > For an introduction to the grub system in Solaris see the following
    > > feature article on Big Admin:
    > >
    > > GRUB and the Solaris 10 1/06 OS: The New Bootloader for x86 Platforms
    > > Shudong Zhou and Jan Setje-Eiler, December 2005
    > >
    > > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features...t_solaris.html
    > >
    > > /Kjell

    > Kjell,
    >
    > Thanks for the link. I will take a look.
    >
    > In the meantime, I *think* that I have made some progress.
    >
    > I think that I can get GRUB to at least TRY to boot Solaris off of the
    > IDE-PCI card-attached drive. The way that I did this was by:
    >
    > - booting to the internal IDE drive
    > - mount the IDE-PCI card-attached drive
    > - edited the "bootpath" line in the /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc file to
    > point to the different device ("...pci-ide@c" instead of
    > "...pci-ide@4").
    >
    > Once I did that, and changed the:
    >
    > root (hd0,0,a)

    > root (hd1,0,a)
    >
    > in the GRUB boot menu, it looks like it is TRYING to boot Solaris off of
    > the IDE-PCI card-attached drive. I can tell because I see the light
    > blinking on that drive (vs. on the onboard IDE-controller-attached
    > drive).
    >
    > However, there seems to be more that I need to do, because when it boots
    > this way, I get a bunch of error messages, and then the system hangs.
    >
    > The errors are things like:
    >
    > - pmconfig: can't open/create /etc/.cpr_config....
    > - bunch of errors complaining about a 'read-only file system' and can't
    > open daemon lock files
    >
    > I feel like I'm "that close" to getting this working, but there is
    > something else on the IDE-PCI card-attached drive that I need to modify,
    > I think.
    >
    > Jim

  10. Re: SUCCESS BOOTING FROM IDE CARD was [Re: Solaris 10 "u1" - Where is DCA?]

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 18:50:33 -0500, ohaya wrote:

    [snippage]

    >I found this webpage:
    >
    >http://www.riddleware.com/solx86/SCSI_change.html
    >
    >which was VERY helpful in getting past the last step, in that it
    >indicated I had to modify /etc/vfstab to use the IDE-PCI attached
    >drive. Once I did that, I booted using GRUB, changing the:
    >
    >root (hd0,0,a)

    >root (hd1,0,a)
    >
    >and VOILA!

    It's been my experience with S10 and S11 (snv_xx) that the grub
    entry is always(?) wrong in this way when installing to the 2nd drive.

    I haven't experimented enough to know if it only happens when there
    is already another Sxx install on one of the drives.

    Reported the bug a long time ago... (thought it was just me...)

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com