Got IDE-PCI Card working (for data only, so far)! - Solaris

This is a discussion on Got IDE-PCI Card working (for data only, so far)! - Solaris ; Hi, I've posted a couple of messages about problems getting UDMA working with an old Asus A7A266 motherboard. I happened to have a Syba SB-ATA8212-133R (or I) card sitting around: http://www.syba.com/product/43/02/01/1/index.html I got this card originally as a RAID controller, ...

  1. Got IDE-PCI Card working (for data only, so far)!

    Hi,

    I've posted a couple of messages about problems getting UDMA working
    with an old Asus A7A266 motherboard.

    I happened to have a Syba SB-ATA8212-133R (or I) card sitting around:

    http://www.syba.com/product/43/02/01/1/index.html

    I got this card originally as a RAID controller, but ITE had firmware
    that could change the card to support IDE/ATAPI, and I had flashed the
    card (Note that I've seen posts that some versions of this card don't
    have flashable firmware) awhile ago.

    Anyway, so I plugged the card into my machine, and invoked DCA to find
    the "PCI ID", which was "pci1283,1".

    I then did:

    eeprom pci-ide=pci1283,1

    then

    touch /reconfigure

    then

    reboot -- -r

    When the machine rebooted, I did "prtconf -pv", and the card appeared
    there, with two "ide" subnodes.

    I then mounted a drive:

    mount -F ufs /dev/dsk/c2d0s0 /mnt

    and, VOILA, the new drive was accessible.

    I've run a "vmstat"/"dd" test on the new drive, and it seems to be
    working ok and have DMA enabled.

    BTW, the main hints for all of this were here:

    http://forum.sun.com/thread.jspa?thr...art=0&tstart=0

    So, this is at least a partial success.

    What I would really like to do is to be able to BOOT off of the
    Syba-attached hard drive. If anyone can tell me how I might do that,
    I'd be VERY grateful!!

    Thanks,
    Jim

  2. Re: Got IDE-PCI Card working (for data only, so far)!

    ohaya wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've posted a couple of messages about problems getting UDMA working
    > with an old Asus A7A266 motherboard.
    >
    > I happened to have a Syba SB-ATA8212-133R (or I) card sitting around:
    >
    > http://www.syba.com/product/43/02/01/1/index.html
    >
    > I got this card originally as a RAID controller, but ITE had firmware
    > that could change the card to support IDE/ATAPI, and I had flashed the
    > card (Note that I've seen posts that some versions of this card don't
    > have flashable firmware) awhile ago.
    >
    > Anyway, so I plugged the card into my machine, and invoked DCA to find
    > the "PCI ID", which was "pci1283,1".
    >
    > I then did:
    >
    > eeprom pci-ide=pci1283,1
    >
    > then
    >
    > touch /reconfigure
    >
    > then
    >
    > reboot -- -r
    >
    > When the machine rebooted, I did "prtconf -pv", and the card appeared
    > there, with two "ide" subnodes.
    >
    > I then mounted a drive:
    >
    > mount -F ufs /dev/dsk/c2d0s0 /mnt
    >
    > and, VOILA, the new drive was accessible.
    >
    > I've run a "vmstat"/"dd" test on the new drive, and it seems to be
    > working ok and have DMA enabled.
    >
    > BTW, the main hints for all of this were here:
    >
    > http://forum.sun.com/thread.jspa?thr...art=0&tstart=0
    >
    > So, this is at least a partial success.
    >
    > What I would really like to do is to be able to BOOT off of the
    > Syba-attached hard drive. If anyone can tell me how I might do that,
    > I'd be VERY grateful!!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    Hi,

    Just for the record, I was able to get this system (Asus A7A266) to boot
    off of the hard drive attached via the Syba IDE-PCI card.

    What I had to do to get this working was to get Solaris 10 (1/06)
    running on the internal IDE drive first. I then copied the Solaris
    partition to the new drive (you can use whatever tool you want for
    this. I used TerabyteUnlimited's Bootit NG).

    Once I had a "clone" of my working Solaris partition on the new IDE-PCI
    attached drive, I mounted the drive, per the above.

    I then edited the "bootenv.rc" file on the /mnt drive by changing the
    "bootpath" line to point to the new drive. In my case, I had to change
    "c0" to "c2".

    I then edited /etc/vfstab on the /mnt drive to reflect the device name
    for the new drive (again, changing "c0" to "c2").

    Once I did that, I rebooted, and when GRUB started, I changed the root
    line to:

    root (hd1,0,a)

    and then booted, and everything works, including (now), DMA!

    I've tested physically removing the original IDE drive, and changing the
    BIOS boot order so that "SCSI" is the first boot device, and then it
    will boot completely off of the IDE-PCI attached drive (in this case, I
    use "root (hd0,0,a)", since the IDE-PCI attached drive is the 1st
    drive).

    Since this is all based on the IDE-PCI card working with Solaris, I am
    guessing that this would work with any motherboard and would allow you
    to have DMA enabled, even if the onboard PCI controller on the
    motherboard is not "compatible" with Solaris 10.

    Jim

+ Reply to Thread