Martin Carpenter wrote:

>"Huge" wrote:
>

>>>Bringing us neatly back to my original question: What's
>>>the alternative [to DHCP-specified routing] in a typical
>>>corporate environment?
>>>

>>Sigh.
>>
>>Choose from; BGP, OSPF, RIP, IGRP, EIGRP, IS-IS, EGP, IGP, etc.
>>

>We're talking at cross purposes. I see all that router-head stuff. My point
>was that it's non-trivial to pursuade a Win* client to get routing
>information by some mechanism other than DHCP.

ISTR that Windows allows you to either select DHCP or to plug in your
own IP address, netmask, gateway address, DNS server addresses, etc.
For anything other than a SOHO net, I'd say that the use of anything but
DHCP is rather rare; static configuration is both labor intensive and
rather inflexible if changes are needed.

In every commercial environment I've worked in, the gateway address
pointed to a Cisco router which made all the decisions about routing.
It's not the only way to handle routing but I'd say it's by far the most
common.