Remote Management (SMDC?) on Sun x2100 vs.x4100 - Solaris

This is a discussion on Remote Management (SMDC?) on Sun x2100 vs.x4100 - Solaris ; I've read in one of the blogs that you cannot get console on the x2100 ( http://www.nofocus.org/wordpress/2005/11/28/a-busy-day/ ) Is this correct? Are you aware of other things in which x2100 'sucks' compares to x4100? (besides the obvious: no dual power, ...

  1. Remote Management (SMDC?) on Sun x2100 vs.x4100

    I've read in one of the blogs that you cannot get console on the x2100

    (http://www.nofocus.org/wordpress/2005/11/28/a-busy-day/)

    Is this correct?

    Are you aware of other things in which x2100 'sucks' compares to
    x4100?

    (besides the obvious: no dual power, SATA instead of SAS drives,
    single CPU only, less total RAM, fewer NICs)

    We are considering into putting these to replace our aging Sun e420rs
    (running web server, and proprietory app server), and it seems like
    the server per CPU will outperform old sparc by 6x.. which means our
    dozen+ servers can be replaced by 3 x4100 dual cpu dual core
    machines.. We'd much rather have 6+ single CPU dual core machines, and
    buy the more 'high availability' (dual power) x4100's for tasks that
    require that.

    We run Oracle 9.2.0.6 on RH4 AMD
    remove NSPAM to email

  2. Re: Remote Management (SMDC?) on Sun x2100 vs.x4100

    NetComrade wrote:
    > I've read in one of the blogs that you cannot get console on the x2100
    >
    > (http://www.nofocus.org/wordpress/2005/11/28/a-busy-day/)
    >
    > Is this correct?

    This machine is (like the Ultra 20) based on a Tyan S2865 mainboard.

    The X2100 has (in contrast to the U-20) a serial port, so you might be able
    to do a BIOS redirection to the first serial port.

    I have built a server based on the S2865 mainboard and the BIOS redirection
    works OK - better than I have seen on some other machines so far.
    BIOS redirection is working in BIOS. After system boot DCA or GRUB is
    configured to redirect console I/O to the first serial port:

    - DCA
    /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc
    setprop ttya-mode '38400,8,n,1,-'
    setprop input-device 'ttya'
    setprop output-device 'ttya'

    - GRUB
    /boot/grub/menu.lst
    serial --unit=0 --speed=38400
    terminal serial
    [...]
    kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot -B console=ttya

    you also need the "ttya-mode" property from the DCA if you configure
    your serial port to anything other than 9600/8N1

    Don't set "Console redirection after OS boot".

    I don't know how Sun has customized the BIOS of its machine, so maybe this
    function may be unavailable in the X2100.

    --
    Daniel

+ Reply to Thread