Can't get UDMA enabled on hard drive (Solaris 9 X86) - Solaris

This is a discussion on Can't get UDMA enabled on hard drive (Solaris 9 X86) - Solaris ; Hi, I recently installed Solaris 9 X86 on one of my systems, but it seems that UDMA is not enabled. The reason that I say this is that when I run: # time dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0d0s2 of=/dev/null bs=32k count=8k I get ...

  1. Can't get UDMA enabled on hard drive (Solaris 9 X86)

    Hi,

    I recently installed Solaris 9 X86 on one of my systems, but it seems
    that UDMA is not enabled. The reason that I say this is that when I
    run:

    # time dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0d0s2 of=/dev/null bs=32k count=8k

    I get something like 2 minutes. Also "vmstat 1" shows "sy" of something
    like 98% when I run the "dd".

    Some history:

    1) My original intention was to install Solaris on a new 200GB Samsung
    drive that I got, but during the installation, I got "GEN-ATA" errors.

    2) I've run into this before with a 160GB drive (see:
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...abd0d85217170f)
    and was able to get around it by setting the drive to PIO in the BIOS.

    3) This time, instead of trying to set the drive to PIO in the BIOS, I
    decided to try to do the installation on an old Seagate 4GB drive. The
    drive shows up as "UDMA 2" in the BIOS, and the Solaris installation
    went ok.

    4) I then imaged the Solaris partition and restored the image onto the
    Samsung drive, and I was able to boot Solaris from the Samsung drive.

    5) I then tried the "dd"/"vmstat" tests, and got the results mentioned
    above.

    6) I swapped the drive back to the old Seagate, and ran the
    "dd"/"vmstat" test, and again got the slow results.

    I checked the bootenv.rc and ata.conf, and DMA setting is I think as it
    should be, but I still get the slow results from the "dd" test.

    Can anyone tell me or suggest what I might do to get UDMA enabled on
    this system?

    Thanks,
    Jim

  2. Re: Can't get UDMA enabled on hard drive (Solaris 9 X86)

    ohaya wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > Can anyone tell me or suggest what I might do to get UDMA enabled on
    > this system?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    Is this the common problem of using the
    OLD style ATA Cable 40 leads,
    Instead of the Required for UDMA
    NEW style ATA Cable with 80 leads. ?

    UDMA 33/66 works with OLD cable
    UDMA 100/133 only works with NEW cable

    //Lars

  3. Re: Can't get UDMA enabled on hard drive (Solaris 9 X86)

    tunla wrote:

    > ohaya wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >

    > > Can anyone tell me or suggest what I might do to get UDMA enabled on
    > > this system?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Jim

    > Is this the common problem of using the
    > OLD style ATA Cable 40 leads,
    > Instead of the Required for UDMA
    > NEW style ATA Cable with 80 leads. ?
    >
    > UDMA 33/66 works with OLD cable
    > UDMA 100/133 only works with NEW cable

    Lars,

    I wish it were that simple. I am using a 80-wire cable, and swapped
    several times. Plus, the Samsung drive IS showing as UDMA 5 in the BIOS
    boot display.

    BTW, "prtconf -pv|grep dma" shows:

    ata-dma-enabled: '1'
    dma-channels: 00...04
    dma-channels: 00...02
    dma-channels: 00...07

    I'm starting to think that I should try what I tried before per that old
    thread, i.e., re-install Solaris with DMA disabled, then re-enable DMA
    after the installation, instead of my "image the partition" trick ...

    Jim

  4. Re: Can't get UDMA enabled on hard drive (Solaris 9 X86)

    ohaya wrote:

    > I'm starting to think that I should try what I tried before per that old
    > thread, i.e., re-install Solaris with DMA disabled, then re-enable DMA
    > after the installation, instead of my "image the partition" trick ...
    >
    > Jim

    Well in that case I think you wiill need to verify if S9 X86
    supports the ATA chipset in your PC box.

    Why dont you try to boot FreeBSD 5 or 6 on the machine ?
    the boot messages will tell you in plain text if the OS
    recognises the disk as a UDMA or PIO disk.

    Does your disk show up as UDMA 100/133 in any operating system ?

    Can you trust that the motherboard is in perfect working order ?

    //Lars

  5. Re: Can't get UDMA enabled on hard drive (Solaris 9 X86)

    > Well in that case I think you wiill need to verify if S9 X86
    > supports the ATA chipset in your PC box.
    >
    > Why dont you try to boot FreeBSD 5 or 6 on the machine ?
    > the boot messages will tell you in plain text if the OS
    > recognises the disk as a UDMA or PIO disk.

    I'll see if I can try that later. Right now, I'm trying a re-install
    with the latest version of 9 (9/05) with DMA disabled (to try to avoid
    the GEN-ATA error).

    > Does your disk show up as UDMA 100/133 in any operating system ?

    Yes, it showns up as UDMA 5.

    > Can you trust that the motherboard is in perfect working order ?

    I've run various versions of Windows, including 2000 and XP before, and
    they can be set to UDMA.

    Jim

  6. Re: Can't get UDMA enabled on hard drive (Solaris 9 X86)

    ohaya wrote:

    > > Well in that case I think you wiill need to verify if S9 X86
    > > supports the ATA chipset in your PC box.
    > >
    > > Why dont you try to boot FreeBSD 5 or 6 on the machine ?
    > > the boot messages will tell you in plain text if the OS
    > > recognises the disk as a UDMA or PIO disk.

    > I'll see if I can try that later. Right now, I'm trying a re-install
    > with the latest version of 9 (9/05) with DMA disabled (to try to avoid
    > the GEN-ATA error).
    >

    > > Does your disk show up as UDMA 100/133 in any operating system ?

    > Yes, it showns up as UDMA 5.
    >

    > > Can you trust that the motherboard is in perfect working order ?

    > I've run various versions of Windows, including 2000 and XP before, and
    > they can be set to UDMA.
    >
    > Jim

    Hi,

    Does anyone have any ideas on this? FYI, I've found some info that
    indicates that the mobo (A7A266) is/was on the HCL at some point, so it
    seems like I should be able to get UDMA enabled?

    Jim

  7. Re: Can't get UDMA enabled on hard drive (Solaris 9 X86)

    ohaya wrote:

    > ohaya wrote:
    > >
    > > > Well in that case I think you wiill need to verify if S9 X86
    > > > supports the ATA chipset in your PC box.
    > > >
    > > > Why dont you try to boot FreeBSD 5 or 6 on the machine ?
    > > > the boot messages will tell you in plain text if the OS
    > > > recognises the disk as a UDMA or PIO disk.

    > > I'll see if I can try that later. Right now, I'm trying a re-install
    > > with the latest version of 9 (9/05) with DMA disabled (to try to avoid
    > > the GEN-ATA error).
    > >

    > > > Does your disk show up as UDMA 100/133 in any operating system ?

    > > Yes, it showns up as UDMA 5.
    > >

    > > > Can you trust that the motherboard is in perfect working order ?

    > > I've run various versions of Windows, including 2000 and XP before, and
    > > they can be set to UDMA.
    > >
    > > Jim

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas on this? FYI, I've found some info that
    > indicates that the mobo (A7A266) is/was on the HCL at some point, [snip]

    Does the HCL now list individual mobo.'s, not just "chipsets" and
    complete systems?

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    Coming soon:
    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  8. Re: Can't get UDMA enabled on hard drive (Solaris 9 X86)

    ohaya wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas on this? FYI, I've found some info that
    > indicates that the mobo (A7A266) is/was on the HCL at some point, so it
    > seems like I should be able to get UDMA enabled?
    >
    > Jim

    I checked the ASUS website:

    A7A266 uses the ALI M1535D Southbridge for PATA access.
    I dont think this is a too usual Chipset. Its Not supported by
    FreeBSD.
    IIRC ALI was bought by VIA at some point.
    I still own a A7M266 motherboard which has a VIA 82C686B South
    bridge.
    This one does work with SOlaris and FreeBSD.

    I whish that SUN would tell us which chipsets are supported by
    Solaris.
    If a chipset is not supported or Recognised the ATA driver usually
    defaults to PIO mode.

    //Lars

  9. Re: Can't get UDMA enabled on hard drive (Solaris 9 X86)

    > Does the HCL now list individual mobo.'s, not just "chipsets" and
    > complete systems?

    David,

    I don't know how the HCL was/is constructed historically, but a Google
    for "a7a266 solaris hcl" showed a couple of links:

    Solaris 8 (1/01):
    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/sol8/101/c0110.html

    Solaris 8 (4/01):
    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/sol8/401/c0111.html

    Solaris 8 (7/01):
    http://solaris.rakeshv.org:8888/ab2/...2PageView/1386

    Jim

  10. Re: Can't get UDMA enabled on hard drive (Solaris 9 X86)

    tunla wrote:

    > ohaya wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any ideas on this? FYI, I've found some info that
    > > indicates that the mobo (A7A266) is/was on the HCL at some point, so it
    > > seems like I should be able to get UDMA enabled?
    > >
    > > Jim

    > I checked the ASUS website:
    >
    > A7A266 uses the ALI M1535D Southbridge for PATA access.
    > I dont think this is a too usual Chipset. Its Not supported by
    > FreeBSD.
    > IIRC ALI was bought by VIA at some point.
    > I still own a A7M266 motherboard which has a VIA 82C686B South
    > bridge.
    > This one does work with SOlaris and FreeBSD.
    >
    > I whish that SUN would tell us which chipsets are supported by
    > Solaris.
    > If a chipset is not supported or Recognised the ATA driver usually
    > defaults to PIO mode.
    >
    > //Lars

    Hi All,

    I MAY have just found a hint about my problem. Samsung has a utility
    for their drives called HUTIL, and I just ran that on this drive
    (SP2014N). It has a drive test, and the 1st test it does is a "Read
    DMA" and the result is a "Command timeout" error, and I get an error
    only on that one test (the rest of the tests look ok).

    I actually ran HUTIL awhile ago, when I first got the drive, but since
    it seemed to have been functioning ok, and all of the other tests in the
    program ran ok, I thought that it might've just been some kind of glitch
    in the program itself.

    Could this be the problem? This drive runs fine with Win98SE/Win2K/XP
    and some other utilities I have, and shows as UDMA5 correctly. In fact,
    under Windows there's an ALI utility that specifically shows the UDMA
    mode as 5.

    Maybe Solaris 9 X86 is particularly "sensitive" to this "Command
    timeout"?

    Jim

  11. Re: Can't get UDMA enabled on hard drive (Solaris 9 X86)

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I MAY have just found a hint about my problem. Samsung has a utility
    > for their drives called HUTIL, and I just ran that on this drive
    > (SP2014N). It has a drive test, and the 1st test it does is a "Read
    > DMA" and the result is a "Command timeout" error, and I get an error
    > only on that one test (the rest of the tests look ok).
    >
    > I actually ran HUTIL awhile ago, when I first got the drive, but since
    > it seemed to have been functioning ok, and all of the other tests in the
    > program ran ok, I thought that it might've just been some kind of glitch
    > in the program itself.
    >
    > Could this be the problem? This drive runs fine with Win98SE/Win2K/XP
    > and some other utilities I have, and shows as UDMA5 correctly. In fact,
    > under Windows there's an ALI utility that specifically shows the UDMA
    > mode as 5.
    >
    > Maybe Solaris 9 X86 is particularly "sensitive" to this "Command
    > timeout"?
    >
    > Jim

    tunla, David, et al,

    I think I'm about to "pack it in" on this one, and give up ... I've
    spent about 2 days on this problem now, and don't seem to be getting
    anywhere with it... and I'm suppose to be on "vacation" this week !

    Anyway, thanks for trying. If anyone comes up with any ideas on this,
    pls post. I have the OS image backed up, so can restore it if need be.

    Thanks,
    Jim

  12. Re: Can't get UDMA enabled on hard drive (Solaris 9 X86)

    > tunla, David, et al,
    >
    > I think I'm about to "pack it in" on this one, and give up ... I've
    > spent about 2 days on this problem now, and don't seem to be getting
    > anywhere with it... and I'm suppose to be on "vacation" this week !
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for trying. If anyone comes up with any ideas on this,
    > pls post. I have the OS image backed up, so can restore it if need be.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    Hi,

    FYI, I just tried a new install of Solaris X86 9 (9/05) with a different
    hard drive (a Hitachi 80GB), and eeprom, etc. are set with DMA enabled,
    but it looks like Solaris doesn't actually have DMA enabled. So, I
    guess that the problem is not just with the Samsung hard drive, i.e.,
    it's probably some kind of incompatibility with the IDE controller on
    the A7A266 that is preventing Solaris from actually using DMA/UDMA.

    Jim

  13. Re: Can't get UDMA enabled on hard drive (Solaris 9 X86)

    ohaya wrote:

    > > Does the HCL now list individual mobo.'s, not just "chipsets" and
    > > complete systems?

    > David,
    >
    > I don't know how the HCL was/is constructed historically, but a Google
    > for "a7a266 solaris hcl" showed a couple of links:
    >
    > Solaris 8 (1/01):
    > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/sol8/101/c0110.html
    >
    > Solaris 8 (4/01):
    > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/sol8/401/c0111.html
    >
    > Solaris 8 (7/01):
    > http://solaris.rakeshv.org:8888/ab2/...2PageView/1386

    Thanx much, Jim. Following the links at Sun's website, I find no path to
    any of the sun.com links you provided. Wonder how the web-crawlers found
    'em...

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems