Rebooting Solaris 10 x86? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Rebooting Solaris 10 x86? - Solaris ; Hello all!!!! I just started running SOlaris 10 x86 for about a month ago and I know how to SHUTDOWN but can anyone please explain the RESTART command??? I went to about 10 different forums and they do not seem ...

  1. Rebooting Solaris 10 x86?

    Hello all!!!!

    I just started running SOlaris 10 x86 for about a month ago and I know
    how to SHUTDOWN but can anyone please explain the RESTART command??? I
    went to about 10 different forums and they do not seem to know this
    question..Hopefully this will help me out..

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Rebooting Solaris 10 x86?

    as400 wrote:
    > Hello all!!!!
    >
    > I just started running SOlaris 10 x86 for about a month ago and I know
    > how to SHUTDOWN but can anyone please explain the RESTART command??? I
    > went to about 10 different forums and they do not seem to know this
    > question..Hopefully this will help me out..
    >
    > Thanks.

    take a look at the manpages of shutdown and init. They will tell
    you everything you need to know and more ;-)

    "init 0" is shutdown and halt
    "init 5" is shutdown and power off
    "init 6" is shutdown and reboot

    same effect can be achieved by running shutdown with the equivalent
    runlevel. e.g.

    shutdown -y -g0 -i6 "maintainance reboot"

    HTH,
    Tom

  3. Re: Rebooting Solaris 10 x86?

    The shutdown command I do is this:

    shutdown -i 5 -y -g 1

    What do i need to replace this with in order to REBOOT?

  4. Re: Rebooting Solaris 10 x86?

    init 6 does reboot. But that's something you seldom need to do in
    UNIX...

  5. Re: Rebooting Solaris 10 x86?

    So I need to do this is to replace
    shutdown -i 5 -y -g 1

    with

    shutdown -i 6 -y -g 1

    When I replace the 5 with the 6 will that work?

    I need a standard rebooting command like in Windows..thats all I
    need..Incase I need to.

  6. Re: Rebooting Solaris 10 x86?

    I am confused...

    In case I need to reboot instead of shutdown..Do I need to a command
    like this?

    "init 6"

    or

    shutdown -i 6 -y -g 1

  7. Re: Rebooting Solaris 10 x86?

    Do init 6 and the machine will reboot; shutdown is to much to type...

  8. Re: Rebooting Solaris 10 x86?

    In article <1135612915.111037.261660@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com>,
    as400 wrote:
    >Hello all!!!!
    >
    >I just started running SOlaris 10 x86 for about a month ago and I know
    >how to SHUTDOWN but can anyone please explain the RESTART command??? I

    if you have /etc in your $PATH simple key in as root

    reboot

    --
    best regards from vienna
    hans

  9. Re: Rebooting Solaris 10 x86?

    as400 wrote:

    > I am confused...
    >
    > In case I need to reboot instead of shutdown..Do I need to a command
    > like this?
    >
    > "init 6"
    >
    > or
    >
    > shutdown -i 6 -y -g 1

    To reboot, you can use the "reboot" command.

  10. Re: Rebooting Solaris 10 x86?

    On 26/12/05 8:44, in article 43B0562D.2020104@prodigy.net, "CJT"
    wrote:

    > as400 wrote:
    >
    >> I am confused...
    >>
    >> In case I need to reboot instead of shutdown..Do I need to a command
    >> like this?
    >>
    >> "init 6"
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> shutdown -i 6 -y -g 1
    >>

    > To reboot, you can use the "reboot" command.

    That doesn't shut down services and stuff properly, so is annoyingly *not*
    equivalent.

    See

    Cheers,

    Chris

  11. Re: Rebooting Solaris 10 x86?

    >> To reboot, you can use the "reboot" command.
    >
    > That doesn't shut down services and stuff properly, so is annoyingly *not*
    > equivalent.

    Neither does it apply patches waiting for a reboot.

    --
    Geoff Lane

    Today's Excuse: The monitor needs another box of pixels.

  12. Re: Rebooting Solaris 10 x86?

    On 28/12/05 5:39, in article 43b2cdc0$0$87290$5a6aecb4@news.aaisp.net.uk,
    "Geoff Lane" wrote:

    >>> To reboot, you can use the "reboot" command.

    >> That doesn't shut down services and stuff properly, so is annoyingly *not*
    >> equivalent.

    > Neither does it apply patches waiting for a reboot.

    I included that mentally in "stuff", but it is probably worth making
    explicit :-)

    Cheers,

    Chris

  13. Re: Rebooting Solaris 10 x86?

    as400 wrote:
    > Hello all!!!!
    >
    > I just started running SOlaris 10 x86 for about a month ago and I know
    > how to SHUTDOWN but can anyone please explain the RESTART command??? I
    > went to about 10 different forums and they do not seem to know this
    > question..Hopefully this will help me out..
    >
    > Thanks.

    I personally like reboot -- "kmdb -rv"

    this loads the kmdb debugger, does a reconfigure boot and verbosely
    shows all the all the drivers as they load.

    bristlecone

+ Reply to Thread