Is it possible grow root partition without reinstall - Solaris

This is a discussion on Is it possible grow root partition without reinstall - Solaris ; I just installed Solaris 8, with a root partition 2Gb, after installing some applications I think that I would need to grow this partition, is it possible to extend this partition without a full reinstallation?...

  1. Is it possible grow root partition without reinstall

    I just installed Solaris 8, with a root partition 2Gb, after installing
    some applications I think
    that I would need to grow this partition, is it possible to extend this
    partition without a
    full reinstallation?

  2. Re: Is it possible grow root partition without reinstall

    betelge87 wrote:

    > I just installed Solaris 8, with a root partition 2Gb, after installing
    > some applications I think
    > that I would need to grow this partition, is it possible to extend this
    > partition without a
    > full reinstallation?

    man growfs

  3. Re: Is it possible grow root partition without reinstall

    betelge87 wrote:
    > I just installed Solaris 8, with a root partition 2Gb, after installing
    > some applications I think that I would need to grow this partition, is
    > it possible to extend this partition without a full reinstallation?

    It depends where the slices are located on disk. The root slice has to
    be continious (regardless if using a volume manager or not).

    You first have to grow the slice, then run growfs.

    --
    Daniel

  4. Re: Is it possible grow root partition without reinstall

    > > I just installed Solaris 8, with a root partition 2Gb, after installing
    > > some applications I think
    > > that I would need to grow this partition, is it possible to extend this
    > > partition without a
    > > full reinstallation?

    > It's possible to grow it over the next slice, if you move
    > that somewhere else first. If that is swap, it's quite easy,
    > but it probably isn't big enough to get you much extra, so
    > you may need to grow over more than one slice to get enough.
    >
    > I suggest you post the output from df -k, and prtvtoc run on
    > each disk.

    Andrew,

    I will send you the output of df -k as soon as I have access to the
    machine.

    For the moment I have tried a workaround by linking /usr/local to
    /export/home/local
    and also deleted several old java versions (/usr/java1.1, /usr/java1.2)
    after installing
    mozilla 1.7 which is installing java1.5.x, till now I am using about
    80% of 1Gb.

    If you have some other suggestion to save space in this partition let
    me know it.

    Cheers,

  5. Re: Is it possible grow root partition without reinstall

    betelge87 wrote:
    >>>I just installed Solaris 8, with a root partition 2Gb, after installing
    >>>some applications I think
    >>>that I would need to grow this partition, is it possible to extend this
    >>>partition without a
    >>>full reinstallation?

    >>It's possible to grow it over the next slice, if you move
    >>that somewhere else first. If that is swap, it's quite easy,
    >>but it probably isn't big enough to get you much extra, so
    >>you may need to grow over more than one slice to get enough.
    >>
    >>I suggest you post the output from df -k, and prtvtoc run on
    >>each disk.

    > Andrew,
    >
    > I will send you the output of df -k as soon as I have access to the
    > machine.
    >
    > For the moment I have tried a workaround by linking /usr/local to
    > /export/home/local
    > and also deleted several old java versions (/usr/java1.1, /usr/java1.2)
    > after installing
    > mozilla 1.7 which is installing java1.5.x, till now I am using about
    > 80% of 1Gb.
    >
    > If you have some other suggestion to save space in this partition let
    > me know it.
    >
    > Cheers,

    You can move /var, /opt, /usr as well if things are tight.

    But first I would look at what, if anything, is growing, and move THAT.
    20% free is fine if it's stable.

  6. Re: Is it possible grow root partition without reinstall

    Of cause it is possible to grow root partition without reinstallation.
    But this operation should be perfect finished by 3rd software. Because the built-in disk management can not realize this operation as you request.
    So, I recommend you choose Partition Assistant, maybe you have heard it, but haven't used it. Why not have a try. Experience this efficient method.
    Touch the whole world.
    Begin to <a href="http://aomeitech.com/">share</a> with you all.

+ Reply to Thread