Web browser won't open - Solaris

This is a discussion on Web browser won't open - Solaris ; On my Solaris 10 box, I try to launch Mozilla and I get a "Starting Web Browser" message on the task bar then it just goes away and the browser window never opens. Any idea how to fix this, or ...

  1. Web browser won't open

    On my Solaris 10 box, I try to launch Mozilla and I get a "Starting Web
    Browser" message on the task bar then it just goes away and the browser
    window never opens. Any idea how to fix this, or at least tell what is
    happening?

  2. Re: Web browser won't open

    Fugtruck wrote:
    > On my Solaris 10 box, I try to launch Mozilla and I get a "Starting Web
    > Browser" message on the task bar then it just goes away and the browser
    > window never opens. Any idea how to fix this, or at least tell what is
    > happening?

    The link is supposed to run

    /usr/sfw/lib/mozilla/mozilla

    try to run this in a xterm window and you will see what
    the error msg is.

    //Lars

  3. Re: Web browser won't open

    If I run the command at the server it just returns to the command prompt
    and does nothing. If I log in through an SSH session, I get the
    following error:

    $ /usr/sfw/lib/mozilla/mozilla

    (zenity:1208): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

    (mozilla-bin:1246): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    $

    tunla wrote:
    > Fugtruck wrote:
    >
    >>On my Solaris 10 box, I try to launch Mozilla and I get a "Starting Web
    >>Browser" message on the task bar then it just goes away and the browser
    >>window never opens. Any idea how to fix this, or at least tell what is
    >>happening?

    > The link is supposed to run
    >
    > /usr/sfw/lib/mozilla/mozilla
    >
    > try to run this in a xterm window and you will see what
    > the error msg is.
    >
    > //Lars

  4. Re: Web browser won't open

    Fugtruck wrote:
    > If I run the command at the server it just returns to the command prompt
    > and does nothing. If I log in through an SSH session, I get the
    > following error:
    >
    > $ /usr/sfw/lib/mozilla/mozilla
    >
    > (zenity:1208): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    >
    > (mozilla-bin:1246): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    > $

    Yeah you cant run mozilla without a X session and a
    DISPLAY variable

    Are you doing the right thing ?

    On the Desktop :

    Open a Terminal Window -
    Type /usr/sfw/lib/mozilla/mozilla

    if that returns nothing you system is damaged somhow.

    You should probably check wheter you mozilla installtion is
    intact or damaged. This can be done with pkgchk( 1M)
    Switch to the root user and run pkgchk.

    $ su -
    Password:
    Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.10 Generic January 2005
    # pkgchk -v SUNWmozilla

    This will return a long list . post eny error messages
    if you cant interpret the output yourself.

    //Lars

+ Reply to Thread