snv and sound (again) - Solaris

This is a discussion on snv and sound (again) - Solaris ; I'm back to fiddling w/Solaris on the T43. Got SNV 28 installed now. I'm seeing the same kind of CD player sound problems I had on some of the earlier releases: gnome-cd and xmcd count time while playing a CD ...

  1. snv and sound (again)

    I'm back to fiddling w/Solaris on the T43. Got SNV 28 installed
    now. I'm seeing the same kind of CD player sound problems I had
    on some of the earlier releases: gnome-cd and xmcd count time
    while playing a CD - but no sound. If I run gnome-cd in a terminal
    I see lots of "CDROMCDDA: Invalid Argument" messages.

    No CD sound, but other sound events work OK. I have Googled up
    lots of similar complaints but nothing current - looks like it
    should all work. Clues?

    TIA,
    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  2. Re: snv and sound (again)

    On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:30:56 -0800, Bill Waddington
    wrote:

    >I'm back to fiddling w/Solaris on the T43. Got SNV 28 installed
    >now. I'm seeing the same kind of CD player sound problems I had
    >on some of the earlier releases: gnome-cd and xmcd count time
    >while playing a CD - but no sound. If I run gnome-cd in a terminal
    >I see lots of "CDROMCDDA: Invalid Argument" messages.
    >
    >No CD sound, but other sound events work OK. I have Googled up
    >lots of similar complaints but nothing current - looks like it
    >should all work. Clues?

    gnome-cd isn't the correct name (??) maybe gnome cd player.

    As another data point, gxine and mplayer both play dvd sound tracks
    OK. It is just the CD players that are silent. Permissions, cd or
    audio dev name, ???

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  3. Re: snv and sound (again)

    Bill Waddington writes:

    > I'm back to fiddling w/Solaris on the T43. Got SNV 28 installed
    > now. I'm seeing the same kind of CD player sound problems I had
    > on some of the earlier releases: gnome-cd and xmcd count time
    > while playing a CD - but no sound.

    I'm not sure which CD playback commands are used by gnome-cd / xmcd[*].

    In case it's CDROMPLAYMSF (and friends), then you need a working
    analog connection between the CD player device's audio output port and
    the sound hardware's CD input port, and you should check the "cdrom=1"
    setting in /kernel/drv/audio810.conf (for some reason the analog CD
    input defaults to "disabled" with Sun's i810 audio driver).

    In case it's using CDROMCDDA ...

    > If I run gnome-cd in a terminal
    > I see lots of "CDROMCDDA: Invalid Argument" messages.

    .... then this failed attempt to read audio data from the
    media using the CDROMCDDA ioctl explains why there's no sound,
    I guess.

    > No CD sound, but other sound events work OK.

    [*] AFAIR, with xmcd you can configure it to either use CDDA playback or
    standard mode playback.

  4. Re: snv and sound (again)

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:28:37 +0100, Juergen Keil wrote:

    >Bill Waddington writes:
    >
    >> I'm back to fiddling w/Solaris on the T43. Got SNV 28 installed
    >> now. I'm seeing the same kind of CD player sound problems I had
    >> on some of the earlier releases: gnome-cd and xmcd count time
    >> while playing a CD - but no sound.

    >I'm not sure which CD playback commands are used by gnome-cd / xmcd[*].
    >
    >In case it's CDROMPLAYMSF (and friends), then you need a working
    >analog connection between the CD player device's audio output port and
    >the sound hardware's CD input port, and you should check the "cdrom=1"
    >setting in /kernel/drv/audio810.conf (for some reason the analog CD
    >input defaults to "disabled" with Sun's i810 audio driver).

    I will have a look at that.

    >In case it's using CDROMCDDA ...
    >
    >> If I run gnome-cd in a terminal
    >> I see lots of "CDROMCDDA: Invalid Argument" messages.

    >... then this failed attempt to read audio data from the
    >media using the CDROMCDDA ioctl explains why there's no sound,
    >I guess.

    It does rather seem like that kind of problem - control of the drive
    works, but data extraction doesn't.

    >> No CD sound, but other sound events work OK.

    >[*] AFAIR, with xmcd you can configure it to either use CDDA playback or
    >standard mode playback.

    IIRC, I see the CDDA errors (and no sound) regardless of whether I
    select standard playback (the default) or CDDA. I will experiment
    further. Interesting that on my R40 + S10, I had to select CDDA mode
    to get sound from the cd players.

    Thanks,
    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  5. Re: snv and sound (again)

    Bill Waddington writes:

    > Interesting that on my R40 + S10, I had to select CDDA mode
    > to get sound from the cd players.

    Maybe because of the disabled analog CD-input port with audio810?

    Run "sdtaudiocontrol" and check that there is an "internal CD"
    device in the "record" tab, that it is checked as a recording
    source, and that the "monitor volume" is set to a value > 0%.

  6. Re: snv and sound (again)

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:32:25 +0100, Juergen Keil wrote:

    >Bill Waddington writes:
    >
    >> Interesting that on my R40 + S10, I had to select CDDA mode
    >> to get sound from the cd players.

    >Maybe because of the disabled analog CD-input port with audio810?
    >
    >Run "sdtaudiocontrol" and check that there is an "internal CD"
    >device in the "record" tab, that it is checked as a recording
    >source, and that the "monitor volume" is set to a value > 0%.

    Hi Juergen,

    Setting cdrom=1 in /kernel/drv/audio810.conf does allow me to play
    audio CDs, but things are still pretty strange

    The Gnome CD player identifies the CD, but throws a "disk error" in
    its GUI - not in the terminal where it was launched. It doesn't count
    seconds - just sits there. (It does count when cdrom=1 commented out).

    xmcd plays the CD - sort of. It starts it playing, but the Gnome Panel
    volume control applet has no effect (did I mention this is JDS?) and
    exiting xmcd leaves the CD playing at top volume! A fairly complex
    tapdance on the xmcd GUI controls will sometimes stop the CD's play.

    I'm not sure this is worth chasing too far (I don't actually get to
    listen to music on this laptop) but if you are interested/willing, I
    don't mind digging further. It would be nice to get everything working.

    After successfully building mplayer to play DVDs full-screen, I thought
    CD audio would be easy

    Thanks again,
    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  7. Re: snv and sound (again)

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:12:09 -0800, Bill Waddington
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:32:25 +0100, Juergen Keil wrote:
    >
    >>Bill Waddington writes:
    >>
    >>> Interesting that on my R40 + S10, I had to select CDDA mode
    >>> to get sound from the cd players.

    >>Maybe because of the disabled analog CD-input port with audio810?
    >>
    >>Run "sdtaudiocontrol" and check that there is an "internal CD"
    >>device in the "record" tab, that it is checked as a recording
    >>source, and that the "monitor volume" is set to a value > 0%.

    >Hi Juergen,
    >
    >Setting cdrom=1 in /kernel/drv/audio810.conf does allow me to play
    >audio CDs, but things are still pretty strange
    >
    >The Gnome CD player identifies the CD, but throws a "disk error" in
    >its GUI - not in the terminal where it was launched. It doesn't count
    >seconds - just sits there. (It does count when cdrom=1 commented out).
    >
    >xmcd plays the CD - sort of. It starts it playing, but the Gnome Panel
    >volume control applet has no effect (did I mention this is JDS?) and
    >exiting xmcd leaves the CD playing at top volume! A fairly complex
    >tapdance on the xmcd GUI controls will sometimes stop the CD's play.
    >
    >I'm not sure this is worth chasing too far (I don't actually get to
    >listen to music on this laptop) but if you are interested/willing, I
    >don't mind digging further. It would be nice to get everything working.
    >
    >After successfully building mplayer to play DVDs full-screen, I thought
    >CD audio would be easy

    Forgot to mention, no "inernal CD" in sdtaudiocontrol until I set cdrom=1
    in audio810.conf.

    Bill