Recommended good stable cheap Gigabit Network cards for Solaris? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Recommended good stable cheap Gigabit Network cards for Solaris? - Solaris ; I'm looking for some Gigabit network cards that are supported under Solaris 10, and Solaris Express that will hopefully be supported in newer versions of Solaris to come... PXE would be nice and obviously cheaper is good! Can anyone make ...

  1. Recommended good stable cheap Gigabit Network cards for Solaris?

    I'm looking for some Gigabit network cards that are supported under
    Solaris 10, and Solaris Express that will hopefully be supported in
    newer versions of Solaris to come...

    PXE would be nice and obviously cheaper is good!

    Can anyone make any good recommendations? or state experiences Good or
    Bad it would be appreciated.

    One option I'm looking at is the INTEL PRO/1000 GT GIGABIT card
    (PWDA8391GT) - for roughly $50 Canadian - This has most of the features
    I'm looking for but doesn't appear to be in the HCL.

    I do see the model number (PRO/1000T Desktop Adapter (PWLA8390T)) in the
    HCL but not the (INTEL PRO/1000 GT GIGABIT card PWDA8391GT))

    Thx
    Scott

  2. Re: Recommended good stable cheap Gigabit Network cards for Solaris?

    Oops forgot one one more thing I'm looking for - I'd like it (the Gig
    card) to work from boot so that I can remote install over my Gig
    network..

    Thx

    In article ,
    s@m.com says...
    > I'm looking for some Gigabit network cards that are supported under
    > Solaris 10, and Solaris Express that will hopefully be supported in
    > newer versions of Solaris to come...
    >
    > PXE would be nice and obviously cheaper is good!
    >
    > Can anyone make any good recommendations? or state experiences Good or
    > Bad it would be appreciated.
    >
    > One option I'm looking at is the INTEL PRO/1000 GT GIGABIT card
    > (PWDA8391GT) - for roughly $50 Canadian - This has most of the features
    > I'm looking for but doesn't appear to be in the HCL.
    >
    > I do see the model number (PRO/1000T Desktop Adapter (PWLA8390T)) in the
    > HCL but not the (INTEL PRO/1000 GT GIGABIT card PWDA8391GT))
    >
    > Thx
    > Scott

  3. Re: Recommended good stable cheap Gigabit Network cards for Solaris?

    In article ,
    Scott Mann wrote:
    >One option I'm looking at is the INTEL PRO/1000 GT GIGABIT card
    >(PWDA8391GT) - for roughly $50 Canadian - This has most of the features
    >I'm looking for but doesn't appear to be in the HCL.
    >
    >I do see the model number (PRO/1000T Desktop Adapter (PWLA8390T)) in the
    >HCL but not the (INTEL PRO/1000 GT GIGABIT card PWDA8391GT))

    e1000g(7D) probably works with both cards.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  4. Re: Recommended good stable cheap Gigabit Network cards for Solaris?

    Scott Mann wrote:
    > I'm looking for some Gigabit network cards that are supported under
    > Solaris 10, and Solaris Express that will hopefully be supported in
    > newer versions of Solaris to come...
    >
    > PXE would be nice and obviously cheaper is good!
    >
    > Can anyone make any good recommendations? or state experiences Good or
    > Bad it would be appreciated.

    Marvell Yukon ChipSet GigE NICs work under Solaris.
    Marvell has the drivers (Solaris native packages) on their site.

    So far I've only been able to get 10mbps on the two of these cards, but
    I attribute this to either user error (1M), config error (4), or an
    inadequate cable.

    And I haven't spent any more time researching the problem, other than to
    verify that the NICs showed up as "yukonx0" under Solaris.

  5. Re: Recommended good stable cheap Gigabit Network cards for Solaris?

    Scott Mann wrote:
    > I'm looking for some Gigabit network cards that are supported under
    > Solaris 10, and Solaris Express that will hopefully be supported in
    > newer versions of Solaris to come...

    Anything based on the RealTek 8169S will work in the current Express and
    newer.

    Ian

+ Reply to Thread