MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version? - Solaris

This is a discussion on MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version? - Solaris ; In the Sparc version, you can change the MAC address of a NIC card on the EPROM by getting down to the OK prompt. How do you do this on he x86 version? Thanx for any help....

  1. MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version?

    In the Sparc version, you can change the MAC address of a NIC card on
    the EPROM by getting down to the OK prompt. How do you do this on he
    x86 version? Thanx for any help.

  2. Re: MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version?

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:47:57 -0600, Anonymous wrote:

    > In the Sparc version, you can change the MAC address of a NIC card on
    > the EPROM by getting down to the OK prompt. How do you do this on he
    > x86 version? Thanx for any help.

    Never read ifconfig(1M), have you?

  3. Re: MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version?

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:39:59 -0600, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >Never read ifconfig(1M), have you?

    Nope. Nevery have. You wanna clue me in?

  4. Re: MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version?

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:02:53 -0600, Boll Weevil wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:39:59 -0600, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    >>Never read ifconfig(1M), have you?

    > Nope. Nevery have. You wanna clue me in?

    Nope. Repetition of information already available to you is redundant.
    I did point you in the right direction. You can choose to follow it or
    not.

  5. Re: MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version?

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:26:53 -0600, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:02:53 -0600, Boll Weevil wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:39:59 -0600, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >>
    >>>Never read ifconfig(1M), have you?

    >> Nope. Nevery have. You wanna clue me in?

    >Nope. Repetition of information already available to you is redundant.
    >I did point you in the right direction. You can choose to follow it or
    >not.

    Yea.. well no thanx for your non help wasting my time. Do everybody a favor and
    stop replying to people's reply in this manner and wasting bandwidth and time.
    Your repetitive info is yours and only yours. I'm not here for your guessing
    games or for your ego.

  6. Re: MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version?

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:55:57 -0600, Boll Weevil wrote:

    > Yea.. well no thanx for your non help wasting my time. Do everybody a favor and
    > stop replying to people's reply in this manner and wasting bandwidth and time.
    > Your repetitive info is yours and only yours. I'm not here for your guessing
    > games or for your ego.

    Do you have some mental impediment to reading a man page?

    # man ifconfig

    There is a perfect example of what you want to do.

  7. Re: MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version?

    Dave Uhring schrieb/wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:55:57 -0600, Boll Weevil wrote:
    >
    >> Yea.. well no thanx for your non help wasting my time. Do everybody a favor and
    >> stop replying to people's reply in this manner and wasting bandwidth and time.
    >> Your repetitive info is yours and only yours. I'm not here for your guessing
    >> games or for your ego.

    > Do you have some mental impediment to reading a man page?
    >
    > # man ifconfig
    >
    > There is a perfect example of what you want to do.

    I would recommend Boll reading "man man" at first in order to get an
    impression on what man pages are...

    Regards,
    Christian
    --
    Christian Schmidt | Germany | ChriSchmiLi@gmx.de
    No HTML Mails, please!!

  8. Re: MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version?

    Christian Schmidt wrote:

    > Dave Uhring schrieb/wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:55:57 -0600, Boll Weevil wrote:
    > >
    > >> Yea.. well no thanx for your non help wasting my time. Do everybody a favor and
    > >> stop replying to people's reply in this manner and wasting bandwidth and time.
    > >> Your repetitive info is yours and only yours. I'm not here for your guessing
    > >> games or for your ego.

    > > Do you have some mental impediment to reading a man page?
    > >
    > > # man ifconfig
    > >
    > > There is a perfect example of what you want to do.

    > I would recommend Boll reading "man man" at first in order to get an
    > impression on what man pages are...

    ....or perhaps just a mention that in the UN*X world, "help" is obtained
    not through the obvious and intuitive HELP command, but rather by
    reading "man[ual]" pages using the "man"[ual] command, and that the
    on-line "man"[ual] is organized into numbered sections, some of which
    have subsections identified by letters appended to the section number,
    as in "ifconfig(1M)".

    Maybe just better phrasing would be useful. For example, in response to
    "Anonymous"'s original query, perhaps a more helpful response would have
    been:

    "Have a look at 'man ifconfig'. There's an example in there you may find
    useful."

    Just a suggestion...

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    Coming soon:
    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  9. Re: MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version?

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:53:27 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:

    > ...or perhaps just a mention that in the UN*X world, "help" is obtained
    > not through the obvious and intuitive HELP command,

    There is nothing either obvious or intuitive about "HELP". You may have
    it available on your Windows system but that makes it neither obvious nor
    intuitive. Some of us do not use Windows.

    > Maybe just better phrasing would be useful. For example, in response to
    > "Anonymous"'s original query, perhaps a more helpful response would have
    > been:
    >
    > "Have a look at 'man ifconfig'. There's an example in there you may find
    > useful."

    The OP claimed a certain amount of expertise WRT Sun machines although his
    "knowledge" is sorely lacking [1]. Pointing the OP to ifconfig(1M) was
    entirely appropriate.

    [1] One can use the OBP to *enable* changing the ethernet addresses by
    setting "local-mac-address?" to true. The OBP, however, is not used to
    actually change those addresses. Moreover, one can effect the same change
    by using the eeprom(1M) utility within Solaris. It is not necessary to
    drop to the ok prompt.

  10. Re: MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version?

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:53:27 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:
    >
    > > ...or perhaps just a mention that in the UN*X world, "help" is obtained
    > > not through the obvious and intuitive HELP command,

    > There is nothing either obvious or intuitive about "HELP".

    I'm not here to start a "religious war", I'm interested in suggestions
    to improve the user interface. Do elaborate. When one is seeking
    assistance, what would be more intuitive than to simply ask the machine
    for HELP? ...more obvious?

    What, IYO, would be the most intuitive assistance command? ...the most
    obvious?

    Example:

    DJAS01:DACHTERA$ help

    HELP

    The HELP command invokes the HELP Facility to display
    information about a command or topic. In response to the "Topic?"
    prompt, you can:

    o Type the name of the command or topic for which you need help
    ..

    o Type INSTRUCTIONS for more detailed instructions on how to us
    HELP.

    o Type HINTS if you are not sure of the name of the command o
    topic for which you need help.

    o Type HELP/MESSAGE for help with the HELP/MESSAGE command.

    o Type a question mark (?) to redisplay the most recently requeste
    text.

    o Press the Return key one or more times to exit from HELP.

    You can abbreviate any topic name, although ambiguous abbreviation
    result in all matches being displayed.

    Additional information available:

    := = @ ACCOUNTING ALLOCATE ANALYZE
    APPEND ASSIGN ATTACH AUTHORIZE AUTOGEN BACKUP
    CALL CANCEL CC CLOSE CONFIGURE CONNECT
    CONTINUE CONVERT COPY CREATE CXXDEMANGLE
    DCL_Tips DEALLOCATE DEASSIGN DEBUG DECK DECthreads
    DEFINE DELETE DEPOSIT DIAGNOSE DIFFERENCES
    DIRECTORY DISABLE DISCONNECT DISMOUNT DPML DSR
    DUMP EDIT ENABLE ENDSUBROUTINE EOD
    EOJ Errors EXAMINE EXCHANGE EXIT
    Ext_File_Specs FDL FONT GENCAT GOSUB
    GOTO HELP Hints ICONV IF INITIALIZE
    INQUIRE INSTALL Instructions JAVA JOB
    LANCP LATCP LD Lexicals LIBRARY LICENSE
    Line_editing LINK LMCP LOCALE LOGIN
    LOGOUT MACRO MAIL MERGE MESSAGE MIME
    MONITOR MOUNT NCP NCS ON OPEN
    PASSWORD PATCH PHONE PIPE POLYCENTER PPPD
    PRINT PRODUCT PSWRAP PURGE Queues READ
    RECALL RECOVER RENAME REPLY REQUEST RETURN
    RMS RPC RTL_Routines RUN RUNOFF
    SEARCH SET SHOW SORT SPAWN START
    STOP SUBMIT SUBROUTINE Symbol_Assign SYNCHRONIZE
    SYSGEN SYSMAN System_Services Sys_Files
    Sys_Parameters TFF TYPE UNLOCK UNZIP
    UNZIPSFX V72_Features VIEW WAIT WRITE

    Additional help libraries available (type @name for topics):

    MULTINET

    Topic?

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    Coming soon:
    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  11. Re: MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version?

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:48:39 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    >>
    >> On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:53:27 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:
    >>
    >> > ...or perhaps just a mention that in the UN*X world, "help" is obtained
    >> > not through the obvious and intuitive HELP command,

    >> There is nothing either obvious or intuitive about "HELP".

    > I'm not here to start a "religious war", I'm interested in suggestions
    > to improve the user interface. Do elaborate. When one is seeking
    > assistance, what would be more intuitive than to simply ask the machine
    > for HELP? ...more obvious?
    >
    > What, IYO, would be the most intuitive assistance command? ...the most
    > obvious?

    On a Solaris system, provided that one has previously executed
    `catman -w` to generate the appropriate windex files:

    $ man -k

    There is *nothing* which is either obvious or intuitive about any
    operating system, including the click and drool interface of Windows. One
    must learn how to use one's tools. And you don't do that by using

    in order to learn how to use Solaris.

  12. Re: MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version?

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:48:39 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:

    > := = @ ACCOUNTING ALLOCATE ANALYZE
    > APPEND ASSIGN ATTACH AUTHORIZE AUTOGEN BACKUP
    > CALL CANCEL CC CLOSE CONFIGURE CONNECT
    > CONTINUE CONVERT COPY CREATE CXXDEMANGLE
    > DCL_Tips DEALLOCATE DEASSIGN DEBUG DECK DECthreads
    > DEFINE DELETE DEPOSIT DIAGNOSE DIFFERENCES
    > DIRECTORY DISABLE DISCONNECT DISMOUNT DPML DSR
    > DUMP EDIT ENABLE ENDSUBROUTINE EOD
    > EOJ Errors EXAMINE EXCHANGE EXIT
    > Ext_File_Specs FDL FONT GENCAT GOSUB
    > GOTO HELP Hints ICONV IF INITIALIZE
    > INQUIRE INSTALL Instructions JAVA JOB
    > LANCP LATCP LD Lexicals LIBRARY LICENSE
    > Line_editing LINK LMCP LOCALE LOGIN
    > LOGOUT MACRO MAIL MERGE MESSAGE MIME
    > MONITOR MOUNT NCP NCS ON OPEN
    > PASSWORD PATCH PHONE PIPE POLYCENTER PPPD
    > PRINT PRODUCT PSWRAP PURGE Queues READ
    > RECALL RECOVER RENAME REPLY REQUEST RETURN
    > RMS RPC RTL_Routines RUN RUNOFF
    > SEARCH SET SHOW SORT SPAWN START
    > STOP SUBMIT SUBROUTINE Symbol_Assign SYNCHRONIZE
    > SYSGEN SYSMAN System_Services Sys_Files
    > Sys_Parameters TFF TYPE UNLOCK UNZIP
    > UNZIPSFX V72_Features VIEW WAIT WRITE

    BTW, out of that garbage which command and arguments will display the
    routing table? Which one will display my current IP address? Which of
    these will display the ARP table?

    And more to the point, which of these things will enable me to alter my
    NIC's ethernet address?

  13. Re: MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version?

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:48:39 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:
    >
    > > := = @ ACCOUNTING ALLOCATE ANALYZE
    > > APPEND ASSIGN ATTACH AUTHORIZE AUTOGEN BACKUP
    > > CALL CANCEL CC CLOSE CONFIGURE CONNECT
    > > CONTINUE CONVERT COPY CREATE CXXDEMANGLE
    > > DCL_Tips DEALLOCATE DEASSIGN DEBUG DECK DECthreads
    > > DEFINE DELETE DEPOSIT DIAGNOSE DIFFERENCES
    > > DIRECTORY DISABLE DISCONNECT DISMOUNT DPML DSR
    > > DUMP EDIT ENABLE ENDSUBROUTINE EOD
    > > EOJ Errors EXAMINE EXCHANGE EXIT
    > > Ext_File_Specs FDL FONT GENCAT GOSUB
    > > GOTO HELP Hints ICONV IF INITIALIZE
    > > INQUIRE INSTALL Instructions JAVA JOB
    > > LANCP LATCP LD Lexicals LIBRARY LICENSE
    > > Line_editing LINK LMCP LOCALE LOGIN
    > > LOGOUT MACRO MAIL MERGE MESSAGE MIME
    > > MONITOR MOUNT NCP NCS ON OPEN
    > > PASSWORD PATCH PHONE PIPE POLYCENTER PPPD
    > > PRINT PRODUCT PSWRAP PURGE Queues READ
    > > RECALL RECOVER RENAME REPLY REQUEST RETURN
    > > RMS RPC RTL_Routines RUN RUNOFF
    > > SEARCH SET SHOW SORT SPAWN START
    > > STOP SUBMIT SUBROUTINE Symbol_Assign SYNCHRONIZE
    > > SYSGEN SYSMAN System_Services Sys_Files
    > > Sys_Parameters TFF TYPE UNLOCK UNZIP
    > > UNZIPSFX V72_Features VIEW WAIT WRITE

    > BTW, out of that garbage which command and arguments will display the
    > routing table? Which one will display my current IP address? Which of
    > these will display the ARP table?

    The answer to all three questions depends on which TCP/IP stack you're
    running. There are three for OpenVMS:

    o TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS, previously known as "Ultrix Connection",
    or "UCX" for short, sold by Digital, then Compaq, and now by HP. It
    comes bundled with the o/s license. Available for VAX, Alpha and I64.

    o Multinet sold by Process Software. Originally ported from 4.2BSD by
    "Two Guys and a VAX" (TGV, Inc.). Available for VAX, Alpha and I64.

    o TCPware, also sold by Process Software. Written largely in assembler
    from the ground up on PDP-11 and later migrated to VAX/VMS, then to
    OpenVMS-Alpha, and now to OpenVMS-I64 (for the Itanic).

    > And more to the point, which of these things will enable me to alter my
    > NIC's ethernet address?

    Because VMS is designed around security from the ground up, there are no
    commands in any facility to do this, although it is possible by coding a
    program to do low-level I/O by calling the (SYS)$QIO system service.
    Programs to do this have been ported from UN*X-land. Also, DECnet
    Phase-IV does this as an artifact of behavior built into it in the early
    days of "802.3" ethernet (The two-byte DECnet address is coded into the
    MAC address in the LSBs, with a "Vendor code" of AA-00-04).

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    Coming soon:
    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  14. Re: MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version?

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:48:39 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:
    >
    > > Dave Uhring wrote:

    > >> There is nothing either obvious or intuitive about "HELP".

    > > I'm not here to start a "religious war", I'm interested in suggestions
    > > to improve the user interface. Do elaborate. When one is seeking
    > > assistance, what would be more intuitive than to simply ask the machine
    > > for HELP? ...more obvious?
    > >
    > > What, IYO, would be the most intuitive assistance command? ...the most
    > > obvious?

    > On a Solaris system, provided that one has previously executed
    > `catman -w` to generate the appropriate windex files:
    >
    > $ man -k
    >
    > There is *nothing* which is either obvious or intuitive about any
    > operating system, including the click and drool interface of Windows. One
    > must learn how to use one's tools. And you don't do that by using

    > in order to learn how to use Solaris.

    I don't currently run Solaris at home. The only Solaris machine I deal
    with on a daily basis runs StorageTek's ACSLS which drives the robot in
    the tape library we have at work. Among other tasks, I had to set up the
    trusted relationships enabling us to use RSHELL and RCP from the VMS
    systems to Solaris without having passwords traverse the Enterprise LAN
    in clear-text.

    I have no need to modify the MAC address of the SPARC machine's NIC. As
    a result, I've never looked into that.

    I'd considered building a business around servers running Solaris, BSD,
    Linux and OpenVMS. Still looking for funding. Also, the OpenVMS business
    at HP is built around a low-volume, high margin paradigm with
    astronomical annual sales targets. So, that part of the business would
    be less competitive than the "commodity" server parts.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    Coming soon:
    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  15. Re: MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version?

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 20:25:24 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:

    > I don't currently run Solaris at home. The only Solaris machine I deal
    > with on a daily basis runs StorageTek's ACSLS which drives the robot in
    > the tape library we have at work. Among other tasks, I had to set up the
    > trusted relationships enabling us to use RSHELL and RCP from the VMS
    > systems to Solaris without having passwords traverse the Enterprise LAN
    > in clear-text.

    On Solaris, hosts.equiv(4) provides the necessary information. Use of SSH
    is preferable since *all* IP traffic is encrypted.

    > I have no need to modify the MAC address of the SPARC machine's NIC. As
    > a result, I've never looked into that.

    Nor have I had such a need, especially on a PeeCee where ethernet
    addresses are almost guaranteed to be unique. By default, on an
    UltraSPARC machine with 3 or 5 NICs all will receive the same ethernet
    addresses. Normally this causes no problem since each is assumed to be
    connected to a separate subnet.

    > I'd considered building a business around servers running Solaris, BSD,
    > Linux and OpenVMS. Still looking for funding. Also, the OpenVMS business
    > at HP is built around a low-volume, high margin paradigm with
    > astronomical annual sales targets. So, that part of the business would
    > be less competitive than the "commodity" server parts.

    It might be less competitive but its long term viability is questionable.
    HP has killed PA-RISC and Alpha, and the prospects for continued
    development of Itanium don't look too good.

  16. Re: MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version?

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 20:17:47 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> And more to the point, which of these things will enable me to alter my
    >> NIC's ethernet address?

    > Because VMS is designed around security from the ground up, there are no
    > commands in any facility to do this, although it is possible by coding a
    > program to do low-level I/O by calling the (SYS)$QIO system service.
    > Programs to do this have been ported from UN*X-land. Also, DECnet
    > Phase-IV does this as an artifact of behavior built into it in the early
    > days of "802.3" ethernet (The two-byte DECnet address is coded into the
    > MAC address in the LSBs, with a "Vendor code" of AA-00-04).

    IOW, and directly contradicting your earlier assertion, there is *no*
    obvious or intuitive way to find out how to change one's ethernet address
    on an OpenVMS system.

  17. Re: MAC address....................how do you change it in x86 version?

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 20:17:47 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:
    >
    > > Dave Uhring wrote:

    > >> And more to the point, which of these things will enable me to alter my
    > >> NIC's ethernet address?

    > > Because VMS is designed around security from the ground up, there are no
    > > commands in any facility to do this, although it is possible by coding a
    > > program to do low-level I/O by calling the (SYS)$QIO system service.
    > > Programs to do this have been ported from UN*X-land. Also, DECnet
    > > Phase-IV does this as an artifact of behavior built into it in the early
    > > days of "802.3" ethernet (The two-byte DECnet address is coded into the
    > > MAC address in the LSBs, with a "Vendor code" of AA-00-04).

    > IOW, and directly contradicting your earlier assertion,

    I made no relevant assertion.

    > there is *no*
    > obvious or intuitive way to find out how to change one's ethernet address
    > on an OpenVMS system.

    Not sure how "intuitive" it is, but the obvious way to find out is to
    RTFM, likely the I/O User's Guide. Like most machines, Itanics, Alphas
    and most large VAXes (BI-bus machines like 6000, 7000 and 10000) can
    have multiple ethernet interface cards.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems