Patching Solaris 10 boot progs into a Solaris 8 install ? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Patching Solaris 10 boot progs into a Solaris 8 install ? - Solaris ; Following on from my earlier post ("Secondary Boot from Laptop HD fails"), I wonder how I could do this. We have a customised Solaris 8 installation that is ghosted onto new laptops, and has worked fine until now. However - ...

  1. Patching Solaris 10 boot progs into a Solaris 8 install ?

    Following on from my earlier post ("Secondary Boot from Laptop HD
    fails"), I wonder how I could do this.

    We have a customised Solaris 8 installation that is ghosted onto new
    laptops, and has worked fine until now.
    However - the latest laptops, although the same model, are now fitted
    with different chipsets and will not boot from the Solaris 8 image on
    the HD - they just hang at "SunOS Secondary Boot" when trying to run
    boot.bin.
    Boot.bin cannot see the hard drive.

    Booting from a Solaris 10 CD allows the hard drive to be seen. (Solaris
    9 didn't work).

    How would I go about patching the Solaris 10 boot programs onto a HD
    installed with Solaris 8 ?
    Is this possible ? (There is a requirement on this project that Solaris
    8 is used.)

  2. Re: Patching Solaris 10 boot progs into a Solaris 8 install ?

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 23:38:52 -0800, muddyboot wrote:

    > Following on from my earlier post ("Secondary Boot from Laptop HD
    > fails"), I wonder how I could do this.
    >
    > We have a customised Solaris 8 installation that is ghosted onto new
    > laptops, and has worked fine until now.
    > However - the latest laptops, although the same model, are now fitted
    > with different chipsets and will not boot from the Solaris 8 image on

    Yep, that will break a ghosted install

    > the HD - they just hang at "SunOS Secondary Boot" when trying to run
    > boot.bin.
    > Boot.bin cannot see the hard drive.
    >
    > Booting from a Solaris 10 CD allows the hard drive to be seen. (Solaris
    > 9 didn't work).
    >
    > How would I go about patching the Solaris 10 boot programs onto a HD
    > installed with Solaris 8 ?

    Why bother ?

    > Is this possible ? (There is a requirement on this project that Solaris
    > 8 is used.)

    Ahhh......

    How about you do a fresh build and flash it.

    Then instead of ghosting it to the laptop you do each subsequent install
    with a JumpStart/flash install ?

    Sol8 was at best "ok" on a Laptop (hell I even used 2.7 ), but Sol10 will
    give you so much more.

    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

  3. Re: Patching Solaris 10 boot progs into a Solaris 8 install ?

    > > Following on from my earlier post ("Secondary Boot from Laptop HD
    > > fails"), I wonder how I could do this.
    > >
    > > We have a customised Solaris 8 installation that is ghosted onto new
    > > laptops, and has worked fine until now.
    > > However - the latest laptops, although the same model, are now fitted
    > > with different chipsets and will not boot from the Solaris 8 image on

    > Yep, that will break a ghosted install

    > > the HD - they just hang at "SunOS Secondary Boot" when trying to run
    > > boot.bin.
    > > Boot.bin cannot see the hard drive.

    > > Booting from a Solaris 10 CD allows the hard drive to be seen. (Solaris
    > > 9 didn't work).

    > > How would I go about patching the Solaris 10 boot programs onto a HD
    > > installed with Solaris 8 ?
    > > Is this possible ? (There is a requirement on this project that Solaris
    > > 8 is used.)

    > How about you do a fresh build and flash it.

    > Then instead of ghosting it to the laptop you do each subsequent install
    > with a JumpStart/flash install ?

    > Sol8 was at best "ok" on a Laptop (hell I even used 2.7 ), but Sol10 will
    > give you so much more.

    The trouble is, after booting from a Solaris 8 CD, the HD cannot be
    seen.

    I wonder if it would be possible to build a custom bootable DVD
    containing the flash image of the original S8 machine on, but with the
    S10 boot code on DVD to enable the HD to be seen and the install to
    proceed?

    Thanks for your help !
    Lee

+ Reply to Thread