SMBIOS on the Ultra 20? - Solaris

This is a discussion on SMBIOS on the Ultra 20? - Solaris ; Hi all, OpenSOlaris (relatively) recently added support for prtdiag and SMBIOS on the x86 platform. This works like a charm on my Ferrari 3400, but not on my Ultra 20. The latter says this: rich@marrakesh4118# prtdiag prtdiag: failed to open ...

  1. SMBIOS on the Ultra 20?

    Hi all,

    OpenSOlaris (relatively) recently added support for prtdiag and
    SMBIOS on the x86 platform. This works like a charm on my Ferrari
    3400, but not on my Ultra 20. The latter says this:

    rich@marrakesh4118# prtdiag
    prtdiag: failed to open SMBIOS: System does not export an SMBIOS table

    And has the following message in /var/adm/messages:

    Dec 11 20:30:12 marrakesh unix: [ID 672469 kern.info] SMBIOS not loaded (SMBIOS format is too old for processing)

    I'm still quite new to the x86 platform and all its, umm, idiosyncracies,
    but I'm guessing this is a BIOS issue? If this is the case, does anyone
    know where/when SUn will make an updated BIOS available?

    TIA,

    . * * . * .* .
    . * . .*
    President, * . . /\ ( . . *
    Rite Online Inc. . . / .\ . * .
    .*. / * \ . .
    . /* o \ .
    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638 * '''||''' .

  2. Re: SMBIOS on the Ultra 20?

    Rich Teer writes:

    > And has the following message in /var/adm/messages:
    >
    > Dec 11 20:30:12 marrakesh unix: [ID 672469 kern.info] SMBIOS not loaded (SMBIOS format is too old for processing)
    >
    > I'm still quite new to the x86 platform and all its, umm, idiosyncracies,
    > but I'm guessing this is a BIOS issue?

    Probabaly. The Solaris kernel supports SMBIOS data table structures
    version 2.3 or 2.4; in case the BIOS defines an SMBIOS table
    structure older than 2.3 the "SMBIOS format is too old for processing"
    error is reported:

    Hmm, the SMBIOS version 2.3 spec was released 1998-8-12, it surprises
    me a bit that the Ultra 20 BIOS would include such an old SMBIOS data
    structure.

    By looking at the code, it seems the SMBIOS version check can be skipped
    by setting the kernel global variable ksmbios_flags = 2 (SMB_O_NOVERS).

  3. Re: SMBIOS on the Ultra 20?

    Juergen Keil writes:

    >Hmm, the SMBIOS version 2.3 spec was released 1998-8-12, it surprises
    >me a bit that the Ultra 20 BIOS would include such an old SMBIOS data
    >structure.

    New VIA Nehemiah boards still have a 2.2 spec BIOS also.

    >By looking at the code, it seems the SMBIOS version check can be skipped
    >by setting the kernel global variable ksmbios_flags = 2 (SMB_O_NOVERS).

    But the library still checks. Use "smbios -B" in that case.

    (No such option for ptrdiag, though)

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

+ Reply to Thread