Solaris 10 and RAID-1 on Dell PE - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 and RAID-1 on Dell PE - Solaris ; What am I doing wrong? I ve to start with "I'm no disk expert", so please be patient. My Dell machine order: - PowerEdge 2850, - 2 x 146GB SCSI Ultra320, - PERC 4 Embedded RAID Option. - C03 MR1, ...

  1. Solaris 10 and RAID-1 on Dell PE

    What am I doing wrong?

    I ve to start with "I'm no disk expert", so please be patient.

    My Dell machine order:
    - PowerEdge 2850,
    - 2 x 146GB SCSI Ultra320,
    - PERC 4 Embedded RAID Option.
    - C03 MR1, RAID 1 using on-board RAID controller.

    (I used the ITU Diskette from Sun for LSI Perc 4e/di drivers,
    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data...tails/806.html.)
    I started the installation of Solaris 10 but I could only see one disk
    (c0t0d0) during installation. (?)
    I have two Scsi disks, and the idea is that they are set in RAID 1.

    Boot path says: /pci@0,0/pci-ide@1f,1/ide@0/sd@0,0:a

    Well, I continued the installation and Solaris 10 was finished and it
    run well.
    Now I wanted to test if RAID 1 was correct, "still".

    1. I removed disk 1 and restarted
    --------------------------------
    The system answered with:
    Following SCSI ID's are not responding
    Channel-0:0
    Please Inspect Enclosure Power, SCSI Cabling, and Drive Connections
    and Reboot Your System.

    1 Logical Drive(s) found on the host adapter.
    0 Physical Drive(s) found on the host adapter.
    1 Logical Drive(a) handled by BIOS
    0 Physical Drive(s) handled by BIOS
    Press to Run Configuration Utility or any other Key to
    Continue.

    2. I put back disk 1 and restarted
    -----------------------------------
    Solaris 10 run.

    3. I removed disk 0 and restarted
    ----------------------------------
    The system were angry now and I got response:
    1 Logical Drive(s) found on the host adapter.
    0 Physical Drive(s) found on the host adapter.
    1 Logical Drive(s) Degraded
    1 Logical Drive(a) handled by BIOS
    0 Physical Drive(s) handled by BIOS
    Configuration of NVRAM and drives mismatch (Normal mismatch)
    User Configuration....

    Run View/Add Configuration option of Config Utility
    Press A Key to Run Configuration Utility Or to Continue.

    ALT-F10 ...
    No boot device available -
    Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

    Now it seems that the RAID-1 was not correct, why does Solaris only
    find one disk ? where is the other one?
    How can I install Solaris and have the RAID 1 from the HW (controller)?

    When entering "Utility mode" I can see both disks.

    I cleared the configuration and recreated the raid set, and
    initialized.
    So the system is clean again, and I need to re-install Solaris, but
    please advice on how to get RAID 1 ?

    Please advice,

    Thank you!

  2. Re: Solaris 10 and RAID-1 on Dell PE

    Shadow wrote:
    > What am I doing wrong?

    Your messages are coming from the SCSI BIOS, not Solaris.

    Ian

  3. Re: Solaris 10 and RAID-1 on Dell PE

    Hi Ian,

    I sent the question to comp.unix.solaris instead:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....f5082c15acd0ae

    Thanks for your reply.

+ Reply to Thread