Re: Newbie Solaris User Questions - Solaris

This is a discussion on Re: Newbie Solaris User Questions - Solaris ; Musashi wrote: > First the keyboard - the tab key does no > autocompletion and the arrow keys > cause funny characters on my > screen instead of making the cursor > back up or move forward. Backspace > and ...

  1. Re: Newbie Solaris User Questions

    Musashi wrote:

    > First the keyboard - the tab key does no
    > autocompletion and the arrow keys
    > cause funny characters on my
    > screen instead of making the cursor
    > back up or move forward. Backspace
    > and the other keys seem to work OK.

    Type the following in:

    su -
    stty erase ^H
    TERM=vt100
    export TERM
    exec tcsh -l
    eval `/usr/openwin/bin/resize -c`

    And now you're ready to work comfortably: TERM is defined properly,
    [BACKSPACE] key will work, window size is defined, and you can do
    autocompletion, and MUCH, MUCH more. Why this had to be done, more on
    that later. But first, let's configure your SHELL.

    Now, type in:

    passwd -e

    as the new shell, type in "/bin/tcsh". Your default shell has now been
    changed to the Tenex C-shell; it can do everything bash can, and then
    some, AND THEN SOME MORE.

    Don't modify root's SHELL.

    type in "exit"
    type in "exit" again, then log in.

    Create and edit the following files with your preferred text editor:

    ~/.login:
    stty erase ^H

    ~/.cshrc:
    set Resize="/usr/openwin/bin/resize"

    set autolist
    set notify
    set correct=cmd
    set prompt="[%B%U%n@%m%b%u][%B%~%b]> "
    set savehist=7000

    eval "$Resize" -c

    setenv TERM vt100
    setenv PAGER 'less -s'

    You may also want to edit ~/.logout:
    clear

    but this is optional.

    Anyways, now your cursor keys and the [BACKSPACE] will always work
    properly, you will have autocompletion (try pressing the [TAB] key on
    its own!), and everything will just magically work (and better than in
    bash, too).

    The reason you saw ESCape sequences instead of cursor keys moving is
    that Solaris uses the Bourne SHELL (/bin/sh) as the default. This is the
    lowest common denominator guaranteed to always work. It is also the
    standard on all System V, release 4 UNIX operating systems and environments.

    > Second the Ethernet card - I can't find
    > a Yast like tool anywhere to configure the thing
    > so I guess one has to physically edit some
    > configuration file somewhere (kind
    > of dangerous, what happens if you do it
    > wrong, no more boot up??)

    Forget about zillion different Linux GUIs; you're on UNIX now!

    Assuming that your system has the necessary drivers for your EtherNet
    adapter, you can get networking going in two different ways:

    su -
    sys-unconfig
    shutdown -y -g0 -i6

    or, edit the following files:

    /etc/hosts: make sure your host names are in there, like so:
    127.0.0.1 localhost loghost
    1.2.3.4 myhostname myhostname.mydomain.tld

    /etc/hostname., for example, for RealTek RTL8139C or
    RTL8139D:

    /etc/hostname.rtls0:
    myhostname

    /etc/netmasks:
    1.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 # or whatever your netmask is

    /etc/nssswitch.conf: edit the "hosts:" line to be:
    hosts: files dns

    /etc/resolv.conf:
    #
    # enter your DNS server' IPs here:
    #
    nameserver 1.2.3.6
    nameserver 1.2.3.7
    search mydomain.tld

    Although you can get networking up and running WITHOUT REBOOTING the
    system, in your case, the simplest thing is to do the following:

    shutdown -y -g0 -i6

    And you should be good to go. If you don't have the driver for your
    EtherNet adapter, look here:

    http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/

    Also, many manufacturers now support Solaris with their own drivers,
    like RealTek, Marvell and intel, for example. If you know which EtherNet
    adapter you have, look on your manufacturer's site to see if they offer
    a Solaris driver for your HW.

    > ZFS or something like that) but the current
    > file system is already pretty impressive.

    Only if you install/upgrade Solaris Express "Nevada" build 27 or higher.
    (Solaris Express is an OpenSolaris distribution from Sun.)

  2. Re: Newbie Solaris User Questions

    Hi,

    1. I've got a serve with SunOS 5.10 on it for which the autocompletion was not enable.

    So I followed the example you gave, ie:
    su -
    stty erase
    TERM=vt100
    export TERM
    exec tcsh -l
    eval `/usr/openwin/bin/resize -c`

    So now, the autocompletion is working well for the user USER1

    Howerver, whenever I do su -, I loose the autocompletion?
    You mention not to modify root's shell

    So what's the trick to keep the autocompletion when you enter root privileges with su -

    2. Other silly question: no home directory is set by default for USER1, so where do I find files like login and cshrc for that user?
    Do I have to create them under /home/USER1 direcoty?

    Thanks in advance

+ Reply to Thread