Solaris on HP desktop replacement notebooks - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris on HP desktop replacement notebooks - Solaris ; I have a HP-ZD8005AP, I do not know the US or EU models, but I am wondering if anyone has attempted an install? The specs are: Intel 650 3.4Ghz EMT64, 1GB of RAM, 100GB ATA100 HDD, some brandless DVD RW, ...

  1. Solaris on HP desktop replacement notebooks

    I have a HP-ZD8005AP, I do not know the US or EU models, but I am
    wondering if anyone has attempted an install?

    The specs are:
    Intel 650 3.4Ghz EMT64, 1GB of RAM, 100GB ATA100 HDD, some brandless DVD
    RW, RealTek 8139C (I think it is a C, but I am not sure if it is a C,
    C1, or a C2), Broadcome 43xx WiFi, ATI x600 256MB video.

    I have read some web-boards suggesting to a various degrees of success
    with HP notebooks, some with the NDIS wrapper, other using Xorg rather
    than XSun, and visa-versa to achive 1680x1050 screen size on the LCD.

    From observations, I believe I may have no trouble with the processor,
    ram and the harddrive. The two network interfaces could be troublesome
    as I have had mixed results with the 8139 driver (I do not remember the
    guy's website, but I have the url somewhere) and the WiFi interface,
    which even under Linux can be a bit questionable at times.

    I would appreciate any input, before I go too far and break something
    other than my sanity. I also assume that to attempt any suggestions I
    may need the lastes Solaris Express release, so I am about to download it.

  2. Re: Solaris on HP desktop replacement notebooks

    In article <439ab9a6$0$22266$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
    Wayne <4bu53@h0tm417.c0m> wrote:
    >Intel 650 3.4Ghz EMT64, 1GB of RAM, 100GB ATA100 HDD, some brandless DVD
    >RW, RealTek 8139C (I think it is a C, but I am not sure if it is a C,
    >C1, or a C2), Broadcome 43xx WiFi, ATI x600 256MB video.

    The RealTek NIC should work with Masayuki Murayama's rh driver.

    There's no support yet for the Broadcom WiFi controllers.

    I picked up an Atheros-based 802.11g NIC for ~ $15 via eBay.

    The ATI video should work with the Xorg server though you
    may need to disable RenderAccel.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Solaris on HP desktop replacement notebooks

    John D Groenveld wrote:
    > In article <439ab9a6$0$22266$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
    > Wayne <4bu53@h0tm417.c0m> wrote:
    >
    >>Intel 650 3.4Ghz EMT64, 1GB of RAM, 100GB ATA100 HDD, some brandless DVD
    >>RW, RealTek 8139C (I think it is a C, but I am not sure if it is a C,
    >>C1, or a C2), Broadcome 43xx WiFi, ATI x600 256MB video.

    > The RealTek NIC should work with Masayuki Murayama's rh driver.

    THat is the site.

    > There's no support yet for the Broadcom WiFi controllers.

    Unfortunately there is a BIOS lock on supported WiFi controllers. But I
    am sure I read somewhere about a port of the ndiswrapper from Linux to
    Solaris.

    I will go back through my browser history and see what I can find.

    > I picked up an Atheros-based 802.11g NIC for ~ $15 via eBay.
    >
    > The ATI video should work with the Xorg server though you
    > may need to disable RenderAccel.

    Thanks for that.

  4. Re: Solaris on HP desktop replacement notebooks

    Wayne wrote:
    > I have a HP-ZD8005AP, I do not know the US or EU models, but I am
    > wondering if anyone has attempted an install?
    >
    > The specs are:
    > Intel 650 3.4Ghz EMT64, 1GB of RAM, 100GB ATA100 HDD, some brandless DVD
    > RW, RealTek 8139C (I think it is a C, but I am not sure if it is a C,
    > C1, or a C2), Broadcome 43xx WiFi, ATI x600 256MB video.
    >
    > I have read some web-boards suggesting to a various degrees of success
    > with HP notebooks, some with the NDIS wrapper, other using Xorg rather
    > than XSun, and visa-versa to achive 1680x1050 screen size on the LCD.

    I've got S10 (5.10.1 64-bit) running on my ZD8110US. The install went
    without any special problems. The RealTek was recognized without any
    additional drivers. I'm using Xorg and the display works very well
    in wide-screen high res mode. Of course the WLAN doesn't work - I'm
    anxiously waiting for the Broadcom drivers and the sound doesn't work
    either. I haven't even tried the removable card reader..

    Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread