VMWare and Solaris Express (OpenSolaris? Nexenta? SchilliX? BeleniX?) - Solaris

This is a discussion on VMWare and Solaris Express (OpenSolaris? Nexenta? SchilliX? BeleniX?) - Solaris ; Hi all, I'd really like to try a build of Solaris x86 with ZFS. I have a VMWare 5.5 system that runs Solaris 9 x86 and 10 x86 with no problems. But build 27a in VMWare aborts on boot with ...

  1. VMWare and Solaris Express (OpenSolaris? Nexenta? SchilliX? BeleniX?)

    Hi all,

    I'd really like to try a build of Solaris x86 with ZFS. I have a VMWare
    5.5 system that runs Solaris 9 x86 and 10 x86 with no problems. But
    build 27a in VMWare aborts on boot with "*** Virtual machine kernel
    stack fault (hardware reset) ***". Nexenta shows a VMware error
    immediately on startup "The vlance NIC is not supported for 64-bit
    guests in this release... ...Failed to configure ethernet0" (so no
    networking). I'm trying SchilliX now... and would have tried Open
    Solaris but it needs a Solaris Express build environment to bootstrap.
    This is a Debian AMD64 system, and I made sure to choose "Solaris 10
    64bit" as the guest type.

    So, I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any ZFS-enabled x86 Solaris
    build running in VMWare, or am I out of luck?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: VMWare and Solaris Express (OpenSolaris? Nexenta? SchilliX? BeleniX?)

    primealert@gmail.com wrote:
    > So, I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any ZFS-enabled x86 Solaris
    > build running in VMWare, or am I out of luck?

    Why don't you install Solaris Express b27a? I have installed it in VMWare
    with no problems. Running in 64 bit mode, with two virtual CPUs.

    --
    Daniel

  3. Re: VMWare and Solaris Express (OpenSolaris? Nexenta? SchilliX? BeleniX?)

    Hi Daniel, it's good to know somebody got this running! But, as I put
    in my first post:

    > But build 27a in VMWare aborts on boot with "*** Virtual machine
    > kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***".

    It will never boot far enough to even show me the installer. It shows
    the black screen saying loading miniroot or something, then it slowly
    prints out about a dozen "."'s... then VMWare gives the kernel stack
    fault message - my only option at that point is to reset the guest.

    What version of VMWare are you using? Are you using ESX/GSX or
    Workstation? Did you identify the guest as "Solaris 9", "Solaris 10" or
    "Solaris 10 64-bit".? Is the underlying real hardware 32bit or AMD64?
    Did you choose to make an IDE or SCSI disk?

    I'd like to make my setup as close to yours and try again. I did manage
    to get Nexenta booting when I toggled the guest to 32-bit Solaris 10
    and explicitly chose the 32-bit boot option in grub (using the default
    autodetect 32/64bit gave the lance network card error I described). The
    last thing I can think of is maybe my build 27a ISO is corrupt? It
    can't hurt to download it again...

    Thanks for your help!

  4. Re: VMWare and Solaris Express (OpenSolaris? Nexenta? SchilliX? BeleniX?)

    primealert@gmail.com wrote:
    > What version of VMWare are you using? Are you using ESX/GSX or
    > Workstation? Did you identify the guest as "Solaris 9", "Solaris 10" or
    > "Solaris 10 64-bit".? Is the underlying real hardware 32bit or AMD64?
    > Did you choose to make an IDE or SCSI disk?

    I'm using VMWare Workstation 5.5 build 18463. Host OS is Windows XP (32-bit).
    Host CPUs are 2 x Opteron 252 (Stepping E4). Guest OS is running in 64-bit
    mode.

    VMWare configuration:
    config.version = "8"
    virtualHW.version = "4"
    numvcpus = "1"
    scsi0.present = "TRUE"
    scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
    memsize = "768"
    MemAllowAutoScaleDown = "FALSE"
    scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
    scsi0:0.fileName = "Solaris Boot.vmdk"
    ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
    ide0:0.fileName = "M:\Download\Solaris\sol-nv-b27a-x86-v1.iso"
    ide0:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
    floppy0.fileName = "A:"
    floppy0.present = "FALSE"
    ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
    ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
    sound.present = "TRUE"
    sound.virtualDev = "es1371"
    sound.fileName = "-1"
    sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
    displayName = "Solaris Express"
    guestOS = "solaris10-64"
    nvram = "Solaris 10 64-bit (experimental).nvram"

    Configuration different from the default:
    - removed floppy drive
    - IDE CD-ROM is on port 0:0 (instead of 1:0)
    - HDD space is pre-allocated (flat file)

    I can run the guest OS with either one or two CPUs configured with no
    problems.

    > I'd like to make my setup as close to yours and try again. I did manage
    > to get Nexenta booting when I toggled the guest to 32-bit Solaris 10
    > and explicitly chose the 32-bit boot option in grub (using the default
    > autodetect 32/64bit gave the lance network card error I described). The
    > last thing I can think of is maybe my build 27a ISO is corrupt? It
    > can't hurt to download it again...

    Below are the MD5 sums of the already extracted ISO files. If the downloads
    were corrupt you most likely would have get an CRC error during unzip.

    sol-nv-b27a-x86-v1.iso = 2e00431d85c31eb76f89465f82f8acef
    sol-nv-b27a-x86-v2.iso = 9547925a3cebc340277b7272137513a2
    sol-nv-b27a-x86-v3.iso = 78cab53d293566e86fd53414ba2dd50b
    sol-nv-b27a-x86-v4.iso = e959d8fc5f918f2e74df16466c3b0744

    --
    Daniel

+ Reply to Thread