Hi

We are using Panasonic CF-50 and CF-51 "Toughbook" laptops on a
particular project, running Solaris 8 02/02 Intel Platform Edition.

After finishing customisation of the OS for our purposes, we used
Norton Ghost to take a raw image off a working laptop, and clone it
onto other CF-50 and CF-51 laptops. It took a little work to autodetect
and configure the differing network chipsets during first boot, but got
there in the end.

This process has been working just fine for some time. We drop the
Ghost image onto a new machine, reset it, and away we go.

However, we now have a new variant of the CF-51 which does not boot.

We install the Ghost image successfull from DVD and reboot, then get:

SunOS Secondary Boot

: disk read error, sector 0
prom_panic: Could not mount filesystem.

As we can install the Ghost image on the HD OK, and can install/run
Windows OK, we assume there is not a hardware fault.
We can also boot from the DCA floppy or Installation CD and get further
(device configuration takes ages because it doesn't recognise the video
adapter, but I think this is a separate issue).

So for some reason, the Secondary Boot is failing to boot from the HD
on this variant of CF-51.

Any ideas ?

There have been various chipset changes between the 2 CF-51 variants:

NEW CF51:
Network: Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E GIGABIT ETHERNET CONTROLLER v
7.29.4.3. 11/26/2004
Disk: Intel(r) 82801 FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers 2653
v6.1.0.1004. 3/24/2004
Video: ATI Mobility Radeon X300 v6.14.10.6497 12/7/2004

OLD CF51:
Network: Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Disk: Intel(R) 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CA
Video: ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 series.

Also the BIOS has changed, on the new CF-51 it is a newer PhoenixBIOS
(version V2.00L11).

I have disabled the parallel port, modem, wireless LAN, and Legacy USB
support in the BIOS but this had no effect.

So..

Can anyone shed any light on why the Secondary Boot fails from the HD ?

Thanks in advance.