Filename too long - Solaris

This is a discussion on Filename too long - Solaris ; Hi, I'm trying to tar on Solaris 9 a directory containing very long filename, so tar exit with the error (filename is greater than 100). Is there a way to bypass this limit (I can't realy control filename long)? Regards, ...

  1. Filename too long

    Hi,

    I'm trying to tar on Solaris 9 a directory containing very long
    filename, so tar exit with the error (filename is greater than 100). Is
    there a way to bypass this limit (I can't realy control filename long)?

    Regards,

    Yannick

  2. Re: Filename too long

    Yannick ROGER wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to tar on Solaris 9 a directory containing very long
    > filename, so tar exit with the error (filename is greater than 100). Is
    > there a way to bypass this limit (I can't realy control filename long)?
    >
    > Regards,
    >

    > Yannick

    IIRC /usr/sfw/bin/gtar will work.

    //Lars

  3. Re: Filename too long

    On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:35:55 +0100, Yannick ROGER wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to tar on Solaris 9 a directory containing very long
    > filename, so tar exit with the error (filename is greater than 100). Is
    > there a way to bypass this limit (I can't realy control filename long)?

    Try star or gtar. If you use gtar, then you'll also probably need to use
    gtar to untar. I don't know star so well.

    A bientot
    Paul
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)
    Surgery: ennobled Gerald.

  4. Re: Filename too long

    A very common problem with Windows explorer is reported on all Windows help forums. I've

    seen people complaining about problem with long path files deletion.

    Some common problems with Windows Explorer people talk about:

    - Doesn't allow to delete files with long path names
    - Pops up error while deleting unwanted files or unnecessary files
    - Errors like: Access denied, sharing violation, source in use etc.

    I've found a very simple but smart solution for all these above mentioned common problems.

    A very simple but powerful tool to overcome these problems. Everyone who plays with the

    files must have this tool. Its compatible with all versions of Microsoft Windows.

  5. LONG PATH Tool

    Features:

    * Easy-to-use concept. This small and compact LONG PATH Tool is designed to provide nice, simple interface and a solid amount of options.
    * Fast speed of long path folder/files search.
    * No special system requirements. LONG PATH Tool works on any Windows version (NT/2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7).
    * Delete system locked files
    * Can delete files even from mapped network folders
    * Can list files and paths which have file path more than 200 characters long.
    * Close application that uses the file
    * Unload locking process
    * Copy and delete files and folders
    * Delete after reboot
    * Omits file name you specified is not valid or too long
    * LIFETIME updates FOR FREE

    and much more!

+ Reply to Thread